HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
How exactly does the CAM work?

Is it just that once you pass the preset altitude, the CAM cuts off all signal and power to the throttle servo? Or does it send a signal to force it into a "low throttle" position?
ravisurdhar is offline Find More Posts by ravisurdhar
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:55 AM
W0X0F
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2005
1,003 Posts
When you power up, the Cam unit assumes that the throttle is in the off position. The Cam unit saves the throttle position coming from the receiver and uses it to turn off the motor after the climb.
IBWALT is offline Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Apr 2003
454 Posts
The CAM is an interface between the receiver and the speed control.

It becomes active when you plug in your flight battery (or turn on your receiver, depending on your setup). When you advance the throttle, the signal passes from the receiver, through the CAM unit, and to the speed control, which then sends power to the motor.

When the CAM unit senses that the aircraft has achieved a preset altitude (or 30 seconds have elapsed from the beginning of the motor run), it interrupts the signal from the receiver to the speed control and sends a new signal -- throttle down.

The speed control perceives this as a command sent from the transmitter, and stops the motor, even if the pilot leaves the throttle stick advanced.

After a period of time (I think it's 30 seconds), the CAM unit allows the throttle to become active again, if the pilot reduces the throttle stick to idle. This is a safety feature that allows the pilot to power up and save the aircraft in the event of an emergency. However, under ALES rules, such a power up results in a zero for the flight.
buzzfly is offline Find More Posts by buzzfly
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:32 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,088 Posts
I have found the reset is very fast on my CAM - under 2 seconds - not that that matters in the real world! The CAM could also be used to activate any other channel - like a payload drop or a camera shutter or a (gasp!) glider release from a tow plane... I've been taken by the ALES concept - can hardly wait until I get together with the other local guys for some real ALESing.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:18 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar View Post
Is it just that once you pass the preset altitude, the CAM cuts off all signal and power to the throttle servo? Or does it send a signal to force it into a "low throttle" position?
AIAA DBF?

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Apr 2003
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust View Post
AIAA DBF?

Randy
Hmmm,

Ok Randy, I love your products, but I have to admit I don't know what you're trying to say here.

AIAA DBF?

Translation, please.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Apr 2003
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
I I've been taken by the ALES concept - can hardly wait until I get together with the other local guys for some real ALESing.
Looking forward to it, Jim!!

PM me to let me know when you are available.

-- Mark
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:39 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzfly View Post
AIAA DBF?

Translation, please.
Google it. It's a worldwide university level competition that's using a special version our CAM for part of the mission. From the phrasing of the original question, I was guessing that they're a student. FYI, the organizers have asked that I don't help the teams.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Apr 2003
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust View Post
Google it. It's a worldwide university level competition that's using a special version our CAM for part of the mission. From the phrasing of the original question, I was guessing that they're a student. FYI, the organizers have asked that I don't help the teams.

Randy
Thanks for the clarification.

I hope that our responses have helped (assuming that is the intent of the original post).

And if not, continue to ask away!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
My club bought 10 of the CAM units. So far we have had 3 failures out of 3 who have tried them. One pilot ended up crashing his Radian Pro. Another had 1 successful flight with his and then it started to do funny things so he eliminated it. I tried mine this morning in my Radian Pro and it never made a sound on start, I double checked all the connections and it still didnt work. Needless to say we are very dissapointed.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
My club bought 10 of the CAM units. So far we have had 3 failures out of 3 who have tried them. One pilot ended up crashing his Radian Pro. Another had 1 successful flight with his and then it started to do funny things so he eliminated it. I tried mine this morning in my Radian Pro and it never made a sound on start, I double checked all the connections and it still didnt work. Needless to say we are very dissapointed.

VP
Sorry to hear about the crashes. From my 20 years of electronic background the CAM cannot cause a crash.

Would you mind providing more details as to what happened, how the CAM was hooked up etc...
Did the pilot lose all control wither the plane? What transmitter / receiver was used? Etc...

Thanks
Curtis
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Sorry to hear about the crashes. From my 20 years of electronic background the CAM cannot cause a crash.

Would you mind providing more details as to what happened, how the CAM was hooked up etc...
Did the pilot lose all control wither the plane? What transmitter / receiver was used? Etc...

Thanks
Curtis
I have 29 years of electronics experience. Why wouldnt a fault in the CAM module cause a crash? I cant speak for the guy who crashed, but I was there for the other 2 failures. I have a DX8 and AR600 Rx. It is hooked up as directed, between Throttle channel and ESC. The other guy today has a DX5e and an AR 500 also connected properly.
VP
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,336 Posts
The CAM can't affect any channel other than the throttle. The model should fly fine without the motor.
I can't possible see how the CAM could affect receiver (RF) interference or cause interference with the received signal which would affect the flight controls.

It'll be interesting what Randy has to tell you.

Curtis
Montana
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:04 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
The CAM can't affect any channel other than the throttle.
I can't possible see how the CAM could affect receiver (RF) interference or cause interference with the received signal.

It'll be interesting what Randy has to tell you.

Curtis
Montana
How about a short circuit in the CAM?

VP
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:07 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
How about a short circuit in the CAM?

VP
I can't imagine the CAM would short to the point that it would drain the flight battery down to the point of causing a crash of the main flight controls.

We need more details on the crash, think NTSB.

Did the crash happen at altitude, during launch, during landing, what flight controls were lost? Some or all?

Gotta run, the sun is out so I'll walk myself and my dog.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member