HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:25 PM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post

Also want to know why the diheadral in the mounts .????
it will make the arm stronger vs straight arm
piccoloflyer is offline Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:10 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoloflyer View Post
it will make the arm stronger vs straight arm
I thought it was to keep the arms out of camera view, and still keep the CG low .
llbr22 is offline Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:40 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,125 Posts
I can't see this being stronger.. I beilve they have gone this way to increase stability.

anyway still zero specs on this frame, weight, manual pictures nothing... The period for pre order should really start after they give us some real infomation and rea flying video.

What we are seeing is not enough for me to even consider opening my wallet...

also how much are the props to replace? will they be available soon? last thing I want it an oops and now I have a 1100$ machine sitting doing nothing while I wait for them to release props for individual sale.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
you have 30 days to find out more about this S800, pre-order discount finish on April 10, an Cinestar 6 will cost you more than $1000 without FC that comes with APC props, I dont know much about this high end machine, all I want is good strong prop, so they dont break inflight, I had this DJI F550 with WKM all nicely dial in , then one prop breaks, it flip twice from 10 m hitting the ground half way on the third flip.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:17 AM
JUN
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined May 2011
149 Posts
no...but i preorder it ...
leoli0205 is online now Find More Posts by leoli0205
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
S800 spec is out
weight: 1.8kg
ESC: 40A
Motor: 4114 320kv
prop: 15" carbon fiber
Motor to Motor: 800mm
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Oct 2011
519 Posts
Got this from local distributors
TruckBasher is offline Find More Posts by TruckBasher
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:30 AM
Joined Apr 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
S800 spec is out
weight: 1.8kg
ESC: 40A
Motor: 4114 320kv
prop: 15" carbon fiber
Motor to Motor: 800mm
So what do you imagine the end result of these numbers is, little flyer? I'm not brilliant with these calculations. Seems like we need bigger motors and or ESCs to run those props? Then again, it's debatable...
BrundleFly is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFly
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:24 AM
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFly View Post
So what do you imagine the end result of these numbers is, little flyer? I'm not brilliant with these calculations. Seems like we need bigger motors and or ESCs to run those props? Then again, it's debatable...
Let me do the calculation for you, max takeoff weight is 6kg, we have 6 motors, 1kg for each motor, that not even half of these motor will produce at their max, and there will drew less than 10A at hover , maybe 20A at fast climb out, that's 120A total for the battery. 40A ESC is overkill, if all Motor drew even 30A each, it will be 180A total, the battery will melt down first.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:37 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Let me do the calculation for you, max takeoff weight is 6kg, we have 6 motors, 1kg for each motor, that not even half of these motor will produce at their max, and there will drew less than 10A at hover , maybe 20A at fast climb out, that's 120A total for the battery. 40A ESC is overkill, if all Motor drew even 30A each, it will be 180A total, the battery will melt down first.
40A isn't overkill. Think about a basic quad flying in + configuration doing fast forward flight and then wanting to stop it and come into a hover. The front motor is going to have to work really hard for a short burst to overcome the inertia of the forward flight and stop it. That could easily mean a motor pulling max amps for a short time, hence why it sometimes seems overkill to use big ESCs, but in actual fact it is necessary.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Yes, but you can burst a 20A esc to 40A for the duration of this "short burst" without (too many) issues. Anyhow, heavy frame is heavy, so I'll pass on this one. And plastic vibrates/resonates, regardless of what fanboys say. I'll keep making my frames out of wood/alu. Cheaper, too.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Aug 2009
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
40A isn't overkill. Think about a basic quad flying in + configuration doing fast forward flight and then wanting to stop it and come into a hover. The front motor is going to have to work really hard for a short burst to overcome the inertia of the forward flight and stop it. That could easily mean a motor pulling max amps for a short time, hence why it sometimes seems overkill to use big ESCs, but in actual fact it is necessary.
Good point there, I guess 40C is more of safety margin, but I am more worry about prop now, 15" can produce more thrust, but the strength will be reduce than shorter prop, can we ask DJI to undertake an strength test with it's carbon fiber prop, like hanging some weight under the prop to see if it will break, I would like to see it can handle 10 kg
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,473 Posts
Quote:
you have 30 days to find out more about this S800, pre-order discount finish on April 10, an Cinestar 6 will cost you more than $1000 without FC that comes with APC props, I dont know much about this high end machine, all I want is good strong prop, so they dont break inflight, I had this DJI F550 with WKM all nicely dial in , then one prop breaks, it flip twice from 10 m hitting the ground half way on the third flip.
Don't worry, your much more expensive S800 (together with the $3000 gimbal and $XXXX camera) will fall from the sky like a stone too and be waste. If the props won't break anymore, the ESC or motor will fail with the same effect --> 1:0 for gravity

Not sure why anyone wants to put that much money on a config (flat hex) that offers zero redundancy and no chance of AR landing.
~>Miha<~ is offline Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
DJI probably went for a hex because the wkm hardware cannot support 8 motors correctly. The two outputs they reconfigured for motors 7 and 8 are asynchronous and have so much jitter that make fast esc's like Herkules II and Castle creations new firmware throw a fit. Wkm offers no reduntancy on flat octocopters.
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redridinghood View Post
DJI probably went for a hex because the wkm hardware cannot support 8 motors correctly. The two outputs they reconfigured for motors 7 and 8 are asynchronous and have so much jitter that make fast esc's like Herkules II and Castle creations new firmware throw a fit. Wkm offers no reduntancy on flat octocopters.
You have a source for that? I don't remember if I tried making my WK-M a octo config when I was looking at the motor outputs on the scope, do you have a screenshot comparing PWM output on say motor #6 and motor #7 (or a link to thread about this)
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Closed Thread