SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Sid3ways's Avatar
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Jeff sent me an email. It has some footage with a 5D onboard. Certainly not to the perfection of the Zenmuse but not bad. I'm leaning more toward the Z15 as more footage comes out. The roll axis on this video certainly needs some more tuning.

www.cnchelicopter.com DJI S800 flying video 06072012 (3 min 56 sec)
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:30 AM
Registered User
BrundleFly's Avatar
Joined Apr 2011
106 Posts
1st Impressions: Bemused

the s800 straight out of the box = vibe~city. Touch an arm whilst in hover and it's almost painfully buzzing. Worst results from a basic test~mounting of the gopro than with any craft before. The zenmuse kills all vibes, maybe? That'd be impressive compensation.

It's a big machine and seems to be quite efficient for what it is, but when they're selling it half put together, one would expect a better balancing. A couple of the props have a bit of burring at the tips... Balancing this puppy - especially the motors - is going to be difficult. But it is a LONG way from smooth and balanced right out of the lovely silver case. The frame/motor/ESCs deal has a lot going for it, but this is the primary purpose after all, no - a near~vibe~free platform?

My F450 was better, on this front. Is better. I'll load that with the new GPSed Naza and see how they compare. The $700 version (flamewheel, 2814-11 motors, ESCs, Naza, Graupners) might just outdo the $2600 one (s800, WK-M). Right now I feel like the s800 will have limited applications... I didn't truly grok just how big it was until I put it together. Big and imposing and, for mine, a bit awkward. Would be great for airlifting puppies or powertools... but it'll take some fancy gimbal/vibe~sorbtion to make it a great video platform.

Experiment still underway, will remove and balance props, balance motors as best I can on arms... but so far, only 2 and a half stars.
BrundleFly is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFly
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:42 AM
Registered User
EndOfDays's Avatar
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,437 Posts
You are right, 10" props are more easy to balance (or just to be balanced out of the box) than 15" props.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:16 AM
Registered User
Denmark, Region Zealand, Jyderup
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
Just Got batteries for my s800 and it really nede a batterytray.
Spyde is offline Find More Posts by Spyde
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:46 AM
Registered User
BrundleFly's Avatar
Joined Apr 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyde View Post
Just Got batteries for my s800 and it really nede a batterytray.
Yeah it does. I see anyone that's attaching a big gimbal has mostly been putting them on the top plate. I think that's what I'll be doing, too.
BrundleFly is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFly
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:09 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,225 Posts
I have mine mounted on the legs that way it leaves lost of room for a gimbal
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:19 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,225 Posts
Alot of people reported that they had an issue with the struts on the landing gear. Complaining that the angle is not right.
And is not. I had the same issue,also the 2.5mm screws that they supply are too short, and I alreday stripped one.

So I decided to do a mod.
I drilled the holes out and used a 3mm tap.
Then I got trex 700 ball screws and ball links to mount the tail servo carbon fiber rod from a 700 heli. Is a 2mm hardened rod inside a carbon fiber tube.
They are longer than the originals but they are solid.

Everytime you take it apart those screws to trasport it, those holes are getting weaker and weaker, so I decided to go that route.
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:52 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
My landing gear are totally not parallel, it's so far off that I thought that was built like that
for some reason.
I build it with the narrower end in front. Just because.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
Alot of people reported that they had an issue with the struts on the landing gear. Complaining that the angle is not right.
And is not. I had the same issue,also the 2.5mm screws that they supply are too short, and I alreday stripped one.

So I decided to do a mod.
I drilled the holes out and used a 3mm tap.
Then I got trex 700 ball screws and ball links to mount the tail servo carbon fiber rod from a 700 heli. Is a 2mm hardened rod inside a carbon fiber tube.
They are longer than the originals but they are solid.

Everytime you take it apart those screws to trasport it, those holes are getting weaker and weaker, so I decided to go that route.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Jun 09, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:29 AM
uavservices on MRF
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
my concern was the twist in the arms... my 450 and 550 have arm twist with that design... in flight if you grab an arm you could use it as a palm sander

that being said teh 450 and 550 are good frames for fun and tough....

keep us posted please.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFly View Post
the s800 straight out of the box = vibe~city. Touch an arm whilst in hover and it's almost painfully buzzing. Worst results from a basic test~mounting of the gopro than with any craft before. The zenmuse kills all vibes, maybe? That'd be impressive compensation.

It's a big machine and seems to be quite efficient for what it is, but when they're selling it half put together, one would expect a better balancing. A couple of the props have a bit of burring at the tips... Balancing this puppy - especially the motors - is going to be difficult. But it is a LONG way from smooth and balanced right out of the lovely silver case. The frame/motor/ESCs deal has a lot going for it, but this is the primary purpose after all, no - a near~vibe~free platform?

My F450 was better, on this front. Is better. I'll load that with the new GPSed Naza and see how they compare. The $700 version (flamewheel, 2814-11 motors, ESCs, Naza, Graupners) might just outdo the $2600 one (s800, WK-M). Right now I feel like the s800 will have limited applications... I didn't truly grok just how big it was until I put it together. Big and imposing and, for mine, a bit awkward. Would be great for airlifting puppies or powertools... but it'll take some fancy gimbal/vibe~sorbtion to make it a great video platform.

Experiment still underway, will remove and balance props, balance motors as best I can on arms... but so far, only 2 and a half stars.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:23 AM
Registered User
Denmark, Region Zealand, Jyderup
Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
i also changde the struts and it is much better now, cant beleave they didant do that from the start the ball links a the way to go
Spyde is offline Find More Posts by Spyde
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:25 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,225 Posts
While I am waiting for the Skyline RSGS to arrive I had some time to play with my AV200.

I got myself an old MK FC2.0 and mounted it on the gimbal.
Is a three axis gimbal for the S-800.

I've seen this somewhere before that they ar eusing FC controllers to stabilize the gimbal.

All I have to do now is do some tweaking to get the parameters right, but it works.
Here is a small video

gimbal.MOV (0 min 49 sec)
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:12 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
430 Posts
Love to see a video now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
While I am waiting for the Skyline RSGS to arrive I had some time to play with my AV200.

I got myself an old MK FC2.0 and mounted it on the gimbal.
Is a three axis gimbal for the S-800.

I've seen this somewhere before that they ar eusing FC controllers to stabilize the gimbal.

All I have to do now is do some tweaking to get the parameters right, but it works.
Here is a small video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wjQW...layer_embedded
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,225 Posts
You will just waiting for the weather to better.

Cheers
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:37 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
Hi. Is anybody in Southern California flying the S800? I'd like to take a look at one. Thanks!
defxxx is offline Find More Posts by defxxx
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Sid3ways's Avatar
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
While I am waiting for the Skyline RSGS to arrive I had some time to play with my AV200.

I got myself an old MK FC2.0 and mounted it on the gimbal.
Is a three axis gimbal for the S-800.

I've seen this somewhere before that they ar eusing FC controllers to stabilize the gimbal.

All I have to do now is do some tweaking to get the parameters right, but it works.
Here is a small video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wjQW...layer_embedded
Very nice although I'm wondering if your mount is mounted "hard" enough to the frame as I see it come to a stop and it wobbles.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI-WKM Multi Rotor Test and Eval musicwarrior Multirotor Talk 27 Oct 14, 2013 10:39 PM
Discussion Report on CC's Phoenix 25 ESC's multi-rotor firmware & the WK-M Quad-Copter tkeeg Castle Creations 381 May 10, 2013 11:57 AM
Wanted WKM DJI - DJI Wookong Multi-Rotor System controller stabilizing rui eduardo Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Mar 14, 2012 09:26 AM
Wanted WKM DJI - DJI Wookong Multi-Rotor System controller stabilizing rui eduardo Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Feb 28, 2012 06:05 PM