HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:35 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Tony, you still seems to think that I didn't program my TX correctly for having lost my Gaui 500X with WKM and is enjoying that fixed idea, don't you? lol

Actually after getting over my loss I'm also having a lot of fun with that too. I noticed every time I tell the story everyone gets a good laugh. Few nights ago I made a girl in a bar laugh herself out to tears with that story. It's was really funny!

But honestly this kind of supposition about the cause of the problem that lacks any technical fundament or explanation is not what I expected from an experienced multi-rotor builder or reseller.

Anyway, you can keep having fun with that. All I can think know is about my next build. Have a F550 with Naza on the way and I'm trying to decide what heavy lift platform to get for my next WKM since S800 is still not for sale at professional resellers that can give me the serious technical support I expect when buying it.

Hopefully my next WKM won't end up in a joke for picking up girls in bars.

And until I get really experienced with multi-rotors and DJI products I won't risk supporting other builders. Wouldn't be funny if I help another guy and his multi-rotors runs away too...lol
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:51 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,701 Posts
V, I hope that story got you LUCKY!

"Wouldn't be funny if I help another guy and his multi-rotors runs away too...lol"

You know that is the danger that any of us takes when we offer advice with limited information on the internet in a forum. I try to put disclaimers on my advise when I am not absolutely sure of what I am saying. Sometimes I have enough information to be certain of what I am advising. I hope that at some point you become as confident. We need as many confident mentors as we can get.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:23 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
Tony, you still seems to think that I didn't program my TX correctly for having lost my Gaui 500X with WKM and is enjoying that fixed idea, don't you? lol

Actually after getting over my loss I'm also having a lot of fun with that too. I noticed every time I tell the story everyone gets a good laugh. Few nights ago I made a girl in a bar laugh herself out to tears with that story. It's was really funny!

But honestly this kind of supposition about the cause of the problem that lacks any technical fundament or explanation is not what I expected from an experienced multi-rotor builder or reseller.

Anyway, you can keep having fun with that. All I can think know is about my next build. Have a F550 with Naza on the way and I'm trying to decide what heavy lift platform to get for my next WKM since S800 is still not for sale at professional resellers that can give me the serious technical support I expect when buying it.

Hopefully my next WKM won't end up in a joke for picking up girls in bars.

And until I get really experienced with multi-rotors and DJI products I won't risk supporting other builders. Wouldn't be funny if I help another guy and his multi-rotors runs away too...lol

May I remind you of your own posts here->

"Tony,

Yes, you are right, all I did was make the fail safe section in assistant software turn blue by switching the gear switch as the 9X doesn't have a fail safe function in it's receiver.

I had a flashed ER9X with FRSky waiting to be programed by I friend, but as he didn't have the time I was just using my 9X until he got it ready, unfortunately that wasn't in time if the problem was really the radio.

If I really did a mistake I really want to know!
What else do I need to do to return home work perfectly apart from setting the Wookong fail safe to turn blue in assistant software when I flip the programed switch I configured for that? "

Another of your posts->

"Turnigy 9X don't have fails safe, so it was set on a switch to activate wookong fail safe that was perfectly configured as the assistant software showed before and after each and every flight. But it never did return home as it should in all tests since flight one. "

Post where Paul even said you posted you did not setup your failsafe correct in your TX/RX->

"Not sure why you think it could only be the wookong that lost your Multirotor.
It could of been the FPV gear that you had strapped to it that caused interference, maybe the cheap tx/rx set up.?
If I remember correctly you did not have your Failsafe set up correctly, so it could be your fault.? Who knows.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Yep Tahoe, I got lucky with her! ; )
Girls go specially crazy when I tell the story of how I lost my multi-rotor with camera and everything!
It's much more efficient than telling them about a perfect boring flight. LOL
Perfect flight stories never got them much interested!

Well Tony, we discussed it many times already.
I think we never gona understand each other on this subject!
But let's give it a final last try maybe?

After thinking for weeks about all possibilites, re-reading manuals and threads and talking to DJI support, I still don't see it been down to my TX programming. And I also don't see it happening just because my RX doesn't have failsafe. There isn't any technical explanation connecting the lack of failsafe in RX with problems in return home if FC fail safe is set to a transmitter switch. Or does it ? Please explain!
I never flew out of TX range or turned it off to need the RX fail safe to activate FC fail safe and return home.

Wookong was going crazy every time I activated FC fail safe (not RX fail safe!) since debut flight! And as far as I understood the WKM, all you have to do to set it's own fail safe is make it turn blue in assistant software in one of the 2 fail safe positions at control mode that rests between GPS and M at the assistant software window, and that I did correctly as I said in the previous posts. But you told me that it's not enough to make FC fail safe to work, just didn't explained me why... What else would be needed?
Do you have WKM fail safe return home configured to workon a switch at your TX?
Does it also need to be configured to simultaneously activate the RX fail safe?
If yes then you must be right, if not then I still don't have proof that the lack of fail safe in the RX was the cause for my WKM going bye bye cruel world!

After all I'm considering two possibilities for what happened, my WKM had a damaged GPS antenna or the Turnigy 9X receiver output frequency on servo channels are somehow not compatible with WKM main controller inputs.
It could be even both problems!
I had all sort of wird problems with my WKM that I haven't seen others posting, it would even keep flying until my battery was almost dead flat (under 3.0v in a cell) if I raised the throttle when it was coming to land in low battery voltage protection mode!

The FPV gear can't be the cause as the problem was happening long before putting the video transmitter on the 500X and I raised the GPS antenna so high above the structure with a 22cm pole that If it was getting any magnetic interference there I can only come to the conclusion that my WKM really had problems.

I have probably 3 onboard videos and one external video that shows the WKM behaving wird in return home mode! One of them when testing the low-voltage return home. And between this flights I re-arranged all the electronics and raised up the antenna but nothing of that made any difference!

Maybe my mistake was not trying it with a different TX and RX or considering sending the WKM back to DJI for checkup. All the rest I did to try to spot the problem!

When I get another WKM I will put a radio locator on it and will do some more tests with my Turnigy 9X again just to see if I can duplicate the problems and with no forests nearby, of course!

Now talking back about OSD , seems someone agrees with me on that!
Look what I just found:

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/guosdpal-p-9747.html

Hurry up DJI...Gaui's guys took the lead on this one! ; )

I'm beginning to wonder how good is the Gaui Gu-ins GPS compared to WKM?...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:10 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Take a few clips during Feb test flights ....

DJI Zenmuse Z15 S800 combination test flights taken late Feb. 2012 (3 min 11 sec)
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Nov 2011
134 Posts
Can't speak for everyone but I was expecting more for the price that gimbal is about to cost.
Knilch is online now Find More Posts by Knilch
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
Moscow
Joined Jul 2006
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knilch View Post
I was expecting more for the price that gimbal is about to cost.
I'll second that. even vid from gasser with that floating horizon was better.
Can we expect you can show something like those 6 month old vids from gopro on the roof, Sydney?
cheers
mitmit is offline Find More Posts by mitmit
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:15 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,076 Posts
Quote:
Yep Tahoe, I got lucky with her! ; )
Girls go specially crazy when I tell the story of how I lost my multi-rotor with camera and everything!
It's much more efficient than telling them about a perfect boring flight. LOL
Perfect flight stories never got them much interested!

Well Tony, we discussed it many times already.
I think we never gona understand each other on this subject!
But let's give it a final last try maybe?

After thinking for weeks about all possibilites, re-reading manuals and threads and talking to DJI support, I still don't see it been down to my TX programming. And I also don't see it happening just because my RX doesn't have failsafe. There isn't any technical explanation connecting the lack of failsafe in RX with problems in return home if FC fail safe is set to a transmitter switch. Or does it ? Please explain!
I never flew out of TX range or turned it off to need the RX fail safe to activate FC fail safe and return home.

Wookong was going crazy every time I activated FC fail safe (not RX fail safe!) since debut flight! And as far as I understood the WKM, all you have to do to set it's own fail safe is make it turn blue in assistant software in one of the 2 fail safe positions at control mode that rests between GPS and M at the assistant software window, and that I did correctly as I said in the previous posts. But you told me that it's not enough to make FC fail safe to work, just didn't explained me why... What else would be needed?
Do you have WKM fail safe return home configured to workon a switch at your TX?
Does it also need to be configured to simultaneously activate the RX fail safe?
If yes then you must be right, if not then I still don't have proof that the lack of fail safe in the RX was the cause for my WKM going bye bye cruel world!

After all I'm considering two possibilities for what happened, my WKM had a damaged GPS antenna or the Turnigy 9X receiver output frequency on servo channels are somehow not compatible with WKM main controller inputs.
It could be even both problems!
I had all sort of wird problems with my WKM that I haven't seen others posting, it would even keep flying until my battery was almost dead flat (under 3.0v in a cell) if I raised the throttle when it was coming to land in low battery voltage protection mode!

The FPV gear can't be the cause as the problem was happening long before putting the video transmitter on the 500X and I raised the GPS antenna so high above the structure with a 22cm pole that If it was getting any magnetic interference there I can only come to the conclusion that my WKM really had problems.

I have probably 3 onboard videos and one external video that shows the WKM behaving wird in return home mode! One of them when testing the low-voltage return home. And between this flights I re-arranged all the electronics and raised up the antenna but nothing of that made any difference!

Maybe my mistake was not trying it with a different TX and RX or considering sending the WKM back to DJI for checkup. All the rest I did to try to spot the problem!

When I get another WKM I will put a radio locator on it and will do some more tests with my Turnigy 9X again just to see if I can duplicate the problems and with no forests nearby, of course!

Now talking back about OSD , seems someone agrees with me on that!
Look what I just found:

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/guosdpal-p-9747.html

Hurry up DJI...Gaui's guys took the lead on this one! ; )

I'm beginning to wonder how good is the Gaui Gu-ins GPS compared to WKM?...
I just talked to a guy who has a 9X and he told me for the failsafe to work it has to be setup in the TX. From I understand if not setup right the throttle could go full when you enter failsafe and takeoff. Thats not the only thing that can go wrong.
TBH I dont know alot about the 9x but I just ordered a few to play with and when i get them(backordered)I will help you with yours if I can. I am a Spektrum guy and dont care for cheap TX's but since they are cheap no big deal.
PLEASE dont take my post wrong as I am trying to explain what I think went wrong and is in NO way meant to hurt your feelings.
Do yourself a favor though and do some research on that Gaui unit before you purchase and I am pretty sure you will stay away. There is a reason why very few here own the Gaui GU-Ins.
Please watch this vid on setting up failsafe on a 9X->
Turnigy 9x how to set up failsafe.wmv (6 min 26 sec)
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I'd settle for undeshaked .mts copied direct from one of those nex5 cams.
I'm not really intersted in your video editing skills.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
This is totally normal and as expected.

Here is a snippet directly from the WKM manual.

When the second level protection is triggered, LED warning will be on. Meanwhile the center point of throttle stick will move up slowly to 90% of endpoint, you should land ASAP to prevent your multi-rotor from crash or other harmful consequences!

When the center point is at 90% of endpoint, multi-rotor will still ascend slowly if you continue to pull the throttle stick, and the control of Pitch, Roll and Yaw are the same as before. Please land ASAP to prevent your multi-rotor from crash or other harmful consequences!
robvree is offline Find More Posts by robvree
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
I'd settle for undeshaked .mts copied direct from one of those nex5 cams.
I'm not really intersted in your video editing skills.
what editing skills?
(sorry, couldn't resist)
llbr22 is offline Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Hi Tony, I tried the fail safe in PCM mode, but WKM would go absolutely crazy as shown in assistant software and the heli would be out of control. I saw another guy post that he also lost his multi-rotor with Naza when using with a Turnigy 9X, so I presume there is really some sort of incompatibility between DJI FC's and TGY 9X. I should at least have replaced the module and receiver with the FRSky that seems to be OK. But I think I also had a damaged GPS antenna as it would losse GPS lock quite frequently even in clear skies with no buildings around. My problems were probably a sequence of issues that ended with the heli loss. I really can't blame DJI because I was using a TX that doesn't have fail safe and the return home was being activated in a TX switch, what is neither covered in the WKM manual even if most pilots use it like that. So, at the end of the day, when the dust is down, I can really only blame myself for that.

Good luck with your 9X Tony, but be careful and tell us what you get.
Will be interesting to see a experienced guy testing it with WKM!

Robvree, I think I missed that on the WKM manual about the throttle going to 90% of end point! That can explain my test results with low voltage protection. Thanks!

After been pissed off with WKM I went to read about as many FC I could and talk to more experienced users, WKM seems to be the best around. I didn't check the Gaui Gu-ins but I really don't believe it can match WKM since no other can. I just hpe DJI has plans for a OSD either.

Sidney, the Zenmuse is really impressive. But asking more than double the price of other PRO Gimbals I also think is way too much. I don't see myself using it with S800 because of that. I heard there will be a stronger version for heavier cameras but regarding price I also shouldn't be going for it. And the lack of a retract landing gear in S800 makes the 360* of Zenmuse a lot less useful. But if Zenmuse wasn't so expensive I be happy to try that in a Skyjib with retracts.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:42 AM
Moscow
Joined Jul 2006
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
what editing skills?
(sorry, couldn't resist)
I suppose he meant slomo - speedups effects on last vid.
I agree, this could be good when you want to show how artistic you are, but not when it comes to show tech capabilities of your product, which most of the ppl are waiting for here..
so to DJI guys, could you please post some unedited raw files finally?

cheers
mitmit is offline Find More Posts by mitmit
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmit View Post
I suppose he meant slomo - speedups effects on last vid.
I agree, this could be good when you want to show how artistic you are, but not when it comes to show tech capabilities of your product, which most of the ppl are waiting for here..
so to DJI guys, could you please post some unedited raw files finally?

cheers
+1 great that we have some more footage now, but I must agree nothing that really gives us any evidence of what we hoped the gimbal can do for the price of couple grand.

Why is every following footage worse than the original promotional video we got a couple months ago ?

DJI Gimbal multi rotor (1 min 48 sec)

is it a different gimbal ? Do a test like before mount a gopro on one of the booms to also show the gimbal ( the now being preordered 3 axis) in action !

With other words do something like this :

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=7t...thorName=holco.

You marketing department or who ever makes the decision on what is being published must notice, that you are not even close to competing with videos coming from the quadrocopter.us guys for example. If you don't have the skills concentrate on the actual performance of the gimbal and finally show us that without any "fancy" editing blah.

Boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,193 Posts
There is no such thing as a magic gimbal expensive yes magic no. Flying indoors shows nothing put out in the wind and on a multi with NO editing and lets see how it really does.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Closed Thread