HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:54 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2012
258 Posts
Can anyone verify yet if the GH3 will work with the z15G? Or if DJI may be providing adapter kits?
leemann is offline Find More Posts by leemann
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:36 PM
Freehold, USA
Joined Jan 2008
395 Posts
So it is said that there is a Sony FS100 Zenmuse being developed, is there any release footage from this gimbal? How far along is testing and when is the expected release date? I'm assuming price will probably fall in the 7k-10k range.

Thanks
DorianJ is offline Find More Posts by DorianJ
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Jul 2008
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ View Post
So it is said that there is a Sony FS100 Zenmuse being developed, is there any release footage from this gimbal? How far along is testing and when is the expected release date? I'm assuming price will probably fall in the 7k-10k range.

Thanks
I saw the FS100 gimbal at AUVSI. Nice piece of work. Sidney said that it'll retail for around $12.5K.
blbills is offline Find More Posts by blbills
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:41 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,091 Posts
May I add that it is huge!
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:54 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blbills View Post
I saw the FS100 gimbal at AUVSI. Nice piece of work. Sidney said that it'll retail for around $12.5K.
Brian,
FS100 Zenmuse was developed first .... back more than a year ago.
I received a lot of interest ... it won't be available for the market as other products take priority. Here is a footage using JR260 & FS100 mount.

DJI Zenmuse gimbal+Ace One front mount JR260 first test raw footage (6 min 16 sec)
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:10 PM
Freehold, USA
Joined Jan 2008
395 Posts
Thanks guys. That price doesn't shock me and if it performs as well as the z15 it's worth every penny. TahoeEd's comment concerned me and Sidney's video confirmed my concerns... It looks like you'll need one helluva heavy lifter to handle the weight of the gimbal? Also, I've noticed in some videos including Sidney's video above that the zen's roll axis tends to drift...is this something that zen owners are forced to deal with or is it due to improper parameter settings?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:23 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,091 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. That price doesn't shock me and if it performs as well as the z15 it's worth every penny. TahoeEd's comment concerned me and Sidney's video confirmed my concerns... It looks like you'll need one helluva heavy lifter to handle the weight of the gimbal? Also, I've noticed in some videos including Sidney's video above that the zen's roll axis tends to drift...is this something that zen owners are forced to deal with or is it due to improper parameter settings?
Dorian, I will let Sydney respond to the specifics but the Z15 has gone through several revisions since its introduction in August. This video was posted in February and had to be with Alpha software. DJI has progressed significantly since then. Yes you are correct, the FS100 will need a heavy lift multi to make it work. I would say at least an Octo version of the S800 if not more. Speculation on my part by the way.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:38 PM
Freehold, USA
Joined Jan 2008
395 Posts
Thanks TahoeEd. Looks like there won't be an FS100 Zen anytime soon according to Sidney but let me say this, I do believe that a Zen that is able to carry a large camcorder, FS100/FS700, Canon C300/500 would appeal to not only RC guys but professonal filmmakers as well..maybe a 50/50 even split in interest and sales. There's currently nothing on the market of equal performance at that size and price point. They would sell like hotcakes! In fact, this is the reason I opted out from buying the z15, my client base will not accept footage from a Sony Nex P&S.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:38 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,091 Posts
I believe that DJI has heard the market. If they can sell the Z15/FS100/Red in the hundreds, I think that they will respond.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:22 PM
DJI Support
Joined Mar 2012
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blbills View Post
I just wanted to write a quick note about the GH2 Zenmuse hoping that it reaches DJI. I am extremely happy with the mount. It is absolutely amazing. So smooth and stable.

However, I have one major qualm that is preventing me from using it in the production environment. To transmit video through the HDMI/AV downlink you must change the output of the camera to PAL from the standard format of NTSC. This means that when you shoot in 1080i (60 frames interlaced) that it actually converts it to 50 frames which is completely useless here in the states. This particular setting requirement is not mentioned even once in the Zenmuse manual.

I need DJI to fix this asap. I'm really hoping that it can be a quick firmware update to allow transmission in NTSC.

Thanks so much,
Brian
Z15 support both Pal and NTSC, all you need to do is set NTSC in GH2 as well as in your monitor.
terry.one is offline Find More Posts by terry.one
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Jul 2008
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.one View Post
Z15 support both Pal and NTSC, all you need to do is set NTSC in GH2 as well as in your monitor.
Believe me, I've tried. When I transmit in the standard NTSC it comes through as black and white and stuttery. You look at it too long and it'll cause a seizure.

The only thing that fixed this was switching the camera to PAL. This has been verified several times by switching between different downlinks, monitors, cameras, etc...
blbills is offline Find More Posts by blbills
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Mar 2009
198 Posts
I don't see an overwhelming need for an fs100 gimbal to exist in the first place. A hacked GH2 has just as good a sensor (albeit slightly smaller, which is almost irrelevant as DOF is a non issue in Aerial photography) with over twice the bitrate as an fs100. Cameras are just getting smaller and better. The Blackmagic camera is even smaller that the fs100 with much higher resolution.
flyingdogfilms is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogfilms
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:43 AM
Freehold, USA
Joined Jan 2008
395 Posts
I own both the FS100 and Gh2 (hacked) and I can say from working experience that the FS100's dynamic range kicks the gh2 in the arse. Not to mention the GH2's terrible moire...impossible to use the GH2 when we're shooting structures and brick buildings. There is so much more to compare than a camera's bitrate...
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
190 Posts
Quote:
Do you think that heavylift Cinestar8 couldn't handle it? It can carry 4kg payload for 10min easy.
miza is offline Find More Posts by miza
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
482 Posts
Quote:
I own both the FS100 and Gh2 (hacked) and I can say from working experience that the FS100's dynamic range kicks the gh2 in the arse. Not to mention the GH2's terrible moire...impossible to use the GH2 when we're shooting structures and brick buildings. There is so much more to compare than a camera's bitrate...
I have to say I don't think a FS100 is much of a step from a hacked GH2 and having work both the FS100 is better as a ground camera purely from an operational standpoint, with certain hacks I think the GH2 produces a nicer picture and is afar better choiuce for AP.
The new range of cameras like the Black magic may be the next way forward.

My wish right now are 2 things. Those retractable legs !! Please get them into production ASAP!!!, it kills to have a gimbal like the zenmuse and have almost no ability to smoothly pan... because of the fixed legs (and no a yaw is no a smooth pan) They shoud not be difficult to make and you would sell them by the bucket load ( the S800 should have come with them from the beginning)

Secondly I would love the option of easily switching lenses, being a for wescam tech I used to re-balance the gimbal for each camera and we would have movable weights to allow us to do that quickly, that's trickier I understand., lets start with the legs first and go from there
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1