HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:53 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,416 Posts
@flyingdogfilms

I have been using the 16mm pancake, the 18-55 stock, and the sigma 19mm. I like the sigma 19mm most.

Please try another lens at your own risk, since only the 16mm pancake is recommended by DJI for the Sony Nex Z15.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:55 AM
Australia, NSW, Stanhope Gardens
Joined Aug 2012
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
The quoted accuracy is +/- 0.05 Degree which is 1/7200 of the 360 degree movement of the axes. I'd expect the accuracy to be dependent on the ability of the onboard gyros to detect movement and the ability of the software to calculate the commands to the stepping motors and the speed and accuracy of the steppers rather than being directly related to the resolution of the RC channels used to control the Z15.
True and this is the stabilization side, but when moving the gimbal around fom your receiver it would have to work on whatever the resolution is of the RC kit. What the GCU does with that info and how it extrapolates the data and points the Gimbal is possibly RX resolution/360 deg then stabilizes that position to the quoted accuracy.
Brett1868 is offline Find More Posts by Brett1868
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:10 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,416 Posts
That is the reason why you control the speed of movement with RC, and not the position on the Z15 (with exceptions in some modes).
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:43 AM
Moscow
Joined Jul 2006
392 Posts
LG, sorry I didnt want to hurt you in anyway.
did you try to check the link? google is really the best way to find any interesting info)

cheers
dimitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
Sorry that I`m no professional photographer
I read the manual, how can that help me when I never heard about "focus peak" before !

damn is it so hard to help some newbies
mitmit is offline Find More Posts by mitmit
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:50 AM
Joined Aug 2012
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post
That is the reason why you control the speed of movement with RC, and not the position on the Z15 (with exceptions in some modes).
Makes sense :-) I use 3-pos switches which are a bit clumsy and use servo travel to control the actual speed of the Gimbal.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Aug 2012
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmit View Post
LG, sorry I didnt want to hurt you in anyway.
did you try to check the link? google is really the best way to find any interesting info)

cheers
dimitri
Previet Dimitri, Kak de la?
Saw the smiley didn't quite turn out right & rtfm is a perfectly accurate technical term. I know jack about cameras, but I have the NEX7 manual in PDF and just search for the terms I don't understand, which is most of them.

Paka
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined May 2005
1,176 Posts
it`s OK

I have focus peak ON (But yellow color) and I did not actually know what the name of this function was.

Also I did not know if the blender should be high or low to get mostly of the picture focused.
nor did I know what shutter speed I should have to get best performance.
what I do know is 100 in iso (if possible) and make sure the white light is setup correctly.

I did learn allot from this video:

How To: Shutter Speeds & Frame Rates - Skateboarding Cinematographer Russell Houghten -In Focus (3 min 45 sec)

Also, i read that if I have 50fps setting, shutter speed should be double that (1\100)
Today I filmed at 100 and f8 , picture was great, but I still did get the best movie using AutoFocus !

I find it hard to get the "perfect" spot on manual focus.
If I turn to far on the 16mm lens, everything get out of focus also.
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
The Sony 16 mm is the worst pos I have every had the pleasure of using. Do yourself a favor and rebalance the gimbal to the kit lens.
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:31 PM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Jan 2012
98 Posts
We have rebalanced both Zenmuse Z15N (NEX5N and NEX7) for the Carl Zeiss 24mm/1,8 E-Mount and have used them for a job @ Munich Oktoberfest. I have fantatic stable and sharp results. Unfortunately I can't share anything by now, I will post a link ones the customer has it online. I will never go back and use the crap 16mm at any point.

Pay attention if you think you can use the Carl Zeiss with the Novoflex Adapter as shown on the DJI Zenmuse homepage. This optic does not work at all and presents very ugly results.
Topper_MUC is offline Find More Posts by Topper_MUC
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
Philippines
Joined Dec 2010
532 Posts
Topper_MUC,

Hi! Did you use the "Ferdinand" balancing method? Looking forward to your shots using this lens. =)
Ab74 is offline Find More Posts by Ab74
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
129 Posts
I just wanted to write a quick note about the GH2 Zenmuse hoping that it reaches DJI. I am extremely happy with the mount. It is absolutely amazing. So smooth and stable.

However, I have one major qualm that is preventing me from using it in the production environment. To transmit video through the HDMI/AV downlink you must change the output of the camera to PAL from the standard format of NTSC. This means that when you shoot in 1080i (60 frames interlaced) that it actually converts it to 50 frames which is completely useless here in the states. This particular setting requirement is not mentioned even once in the Zenmuse manual.

I need DJI to fix this asap. I'm really hoping that it can be a quick firmware update to allow transmission in NTSC.

Thanks so much,
Brian
blbills is offline Find More Posts by blbills
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:19 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper_MUC View Post

Pay attention if you think you can use the Carl Zeiss with the Novoflex Adapter as shown on the DJI Zenmuse homepage. This optic does not work at all and presents very ugly results.
Are you talking about magenta shifted corners? My Voigtlander 21mm F4 does that but only on my NEX-7, on the 5N it's excellent and even the colour-shifted stills taken on the NEX-7 can be fixed with Cornerfix https://sites.google.com/site/cornerfix/ .

Video is a different matter as I'm not aware of any utility to correct the colour. I guess I could create a filter in Vegas Pro to do it but as the 5N is just as good at video as the NEX-7 and lighter, the 5N does the flying.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:15 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Jan 2012
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
Topper_MUC,

Hi! Did you use the "Ferdinand" balancing method? Looking forward to your shots using this lens. =)
yes partly I used the same Method. Fine tuning to find back COG was by adjusting cam and HDMI converter position. Final to get everything back to center you have to either remove the Zenmuse from the S800 and bring the pan axis back to COG or accept a smal stabilisation during post.

Not adjusting pan axis put the front buffers in pull and the rear ones in press position. That does create in some situation very smal issues.

When the customer decide what they use I will put some B-Roll stuff onto Vimeo
Topper_MUC is offline Find More Posts by Topper_MUC
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:05 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,186 Posts
More awesome footage from Zenmuse.

Introducing ZENMUSE for Lumix GH2 (2 min 32 sec)
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined May 2005
1,176 Posts
is there anyway I can control the camera using a ball controller?
like an computer mouse ball.

Then I would have more control over the camera movement.
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow