SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:49 PM
Lost in the wind
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
needing help with a one man setup S800/WKM/Zen15:

I have a 6014HS RX..

My TX is 8fg super setup model type as heli, h-1 swash, reset off.

flying the WKM/s800 works all my Mode, POI works..

Physically, the r6014HS ports 1-4 and 7 is plugged in to A, E, T, R, U

then the R6014hs has 8-12, DG1 and DG2.

I plugged those directly in order

Roll-8
Tilt -9
Pan-10
Mode-11
Shut-12
DG1-Aux1
DG2-Aux2

CAN-BUS goes to the GPS-can-bus port.

when I power on, the gimbal (without camera), it rotates and does what I think is calibration.. then stops in the forward facing.

I open up Zenmuse Assistance, and configure the toggles on my 8fg.. I can see it changing on the Zenmuse assistances.. but the motor does not move.

what am I doing wrong?

Regards,

KS
ksrimoungchanh is offline Find More Posts by ksrimoungchanh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
What mode are you in when you try moving the gimbal around? FPV mode will lock the gimbal in the forward facing direction and wont take any input from controls.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:12 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2010
25 Posts
My initial thoughts were that it would be essential to have control of all of the (8) inputs to the Z15 GCU. However, after testing, Iíve found that only 3 channels (TILT, MODE and SHUTTER) are necessary for the gimbal to function in a similar way to my previous gimbals but still with the added advantage of switching MODEs: lock-on subject; normal and FPV. The Z15 places those functions whose channels are disconnected at reasonable defaults so the gimbal may still behave in a satisfactory manner. This allows use of just one 8 channel Rx for both craft and Z15 control.

For single operator control: if you can do without control of pan or roll and are happy to leave these at their defaults then 8 channels should suffice for both flight and gimbal control. If you need to pan the gimbal independent of craft yaw; or roll the camera to say shoot in portrait mode then more than an 8 channels will be necessary.

For single operator control, Iíve set my camera tilt to a three way distinct switch rather than a continuous (slew/return to centre) dial. Iíve reduced my endpoints on the radio channel from 100% to 20% to get sufficiently slow tilt movement. Midway switch position stops the tilt; up or down slowly continues tilting in the corresponding direction.

You don't get to use all available functionality but I've found that it is a workable solution and keeps things simple - a plus for single operator control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
The Zenmuse on its own can use 7 channels - Aileron for Roll, Elevator for tilt, Rudder for yaw (panning). These work as proportional speed controls so a joystick control would be best. Then a channel for the mode switch, then one for shutter release, one for the HDMI conversion and one for camera orientation in FPV mode. The first 4 would be essential, I guess you could live without the last 3. I'll be using a DX8 dedicated to the Z-15 and another to control the octo.

I'd suggest you download the manual, there's a lot to know about the Z-15 before you start designing the control system you'll use.
seagee is offline Find More Posts by seagee
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:51 PM
Philippines
Joined Dec 2010
540 Posts
My 1st short test. Zenmuse on a DIY octo. Camera was not its recommended settings yet. As I was so excited to fly it already.

Raw Shots Octocopter WK-M (2 min 40 sec)

Ab74 is online now Find More Posts by Ab74
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:17 PM
Lost in the wind
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
Weird, but when I power on the WKM/S800/Zen on 2 x 6s 6000 mah, the Zen15 was not completing it's calibration. What I thought was done, was not. I touched the camera and tried to move it, it then jumped and started to spin and roll again.. after that, I was able to control the gimbal.

I have tried to power on this and about 3 out of 5 times, it does not completes it's calibration.. I have to help it by putting pressure on the camera in a direction normally pitching it forward and it will catch or something and then continue to calibrate.

Any idea?

KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
What mode are you in when you try moving the gimbal around? FPV mode will lock the gimbal in the forward facing direction and wont take any input from controls.
ksrimoungchanh is offline Find More Posts by ksrimoungchanh
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
Needs more bacon!
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrimoungchanh View Post
Weird, but when I power on the WKM/S800/Zen on 2 x 6s 6000 mah, the Zen15 was not completing it's calibration. What I thought was done, was not. I touched the camera and tried to move it, it then jumped and started to spin and roll again.. after that, I was able to control the gimbal.

I have tried to power on this and about 3 out of 5 times, it does not completes it's calibration.. I have to help it by putting pressure on the camera in a direction normally pitching it forward and it will catch or something and then continue to calibrate.

Any idea?

KS
Is the gimbal balanced? I mean can you point the camera in any direction and it will stay there when the power is off?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:47 AM
Philippines
Joined Dec 2010
540 Posts
Hi! Is there any advantage on using a nex 7 over the 5n?

Thanks!
Ab74 is online now Find More Posts by Ab74
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:53 AM
Needs more bacon!
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
Hi! Is there any advantage on using a nex 7 over the 5n?

Thanks!
For video no, they are the same. Taking still photographs the nex7 is 24mp where as the nex5n is 16mp. So the nex7 has much higher resolution still pictures. The nex7 also has a view finder (which you dont need on a copter, unless your taking a ride on it too) and a few other dails for adjusting settings with out drilling into the menus.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
190 Posts
Since there are problems with the S800 I'm thinking of custom frame for my Z15g. Do you guys suggest some folding frame? Is MK HexaXL setup capabale of lifting Z15?
miza is offline Find More Posts by miza
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Jun 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
For video no, they are the same. Taking still photographs the nex7 is 24mp where as the nex5n is 16mp. So the nex7 has much higher resolution still pictures. The nex7 also has a view finder (which you dont need on a copter, unless your taking a ride on it too) and a few other dails for adjusting settings with out drilling into the menus.
The Nex 7 is much more expensive than the Nex 5n, and as you write, the video is the same, and the still photos are only 22% larger on each dimension (24 Mpix vs 16 Mpix).

The extra price of the 7 is due to the view finder. For a multirotor use, the Nex 5(n) is imho a much better choice. Invest the difference in price in really good lenses (e.g. Sigma 19 & 30mm).
sPiKes777 is offline Find More Posts by sPiKes777
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined May 2005
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagee View Post
My initial thoughts were that it would be essential to have control of all of the (8) inputs to the Z15 GCU. However, after testing, I’ve found that only 3 channels (TILT, MODE and SHUTTER) are necessary for the gimbal to function in a similar way to my previous gimbals but still with the added advantage of switching MODEs: lock-on subject; normal and FPV. The Z15 places those functions whose channels are disconnected at reasonable defaults so the gimbal may still behave in a satisfactory manner. This allows use of just one 8 channel Rx for both craft and Z15 control.

For single operator control: if you can do without control of pan or roll and are happy to leave these at their defaults then 8 channels should suffice for both flight and gimbal control. If you need to pan the gimbal independent of craft yaw; or roll the camera to say shoot in portrait mode then more than an 8 channels will be necessary.

For single operator control, I’ve set my camera tilt to a three way distinct switch rather than a continuous (slew/return to centre) dial. I’ve reduced my endpoints on the radio channel from 100% to 20% to get sufficiently slow tilt movement. Midway switch position stops the tilt; up or down slowly continues tilting in the corresponding direction.

You don't get to use all available functionality but I've found that it is a workable solution and keeps things simple - a plus for single operator control.
Thank you.

I am reading the manual now.
So from what you tell me, I can fly the S800 Z15 (FPV or LOS) only using my 9channel radio !

Today I fly the WKM with a gimbal using only tilt on my long finger adjustment knob on the Futaba 9Z.
I pan around using yaw on the hex itself, and I never see why I should need to roll the camera.

The scenario is that I will be flying alone mostly of the time and need to be sure it can be controlled by one person.

I guess if I find some one that can control the camera I have to add one more radio on the copter.

I have saved up all the money I need to buy S800 + z15.
But really not so sure if I should buy a AV130 gimbal with the best servos to use on my F550 HEX...
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
Thank you.

I am reading the manual now.
So from what you tell me, I can fly the S800 Z15 (FPV or LOS) only using my 9channel radio !

Today I fly the WKM with a gimbal using only tilt on my long finger adjustment knob on the Futaba 9Z.
I pan around using yaw on the hex itself, and I never see why I should need to roll the camera.

The scenario is that I will be flying alone mostly of the time and need to be sure it can be controlled by one person.

I guess if I find some one that can control the camera I have to add one more radio on the copter.

I have saved up all the money I need to buy S800 + z15.
But really not so sure if I should buy a AV130 gimbal with the best servos to use on my F550 HEX...

A two man setup is the best but a one man setup is quick and easy and what I use most of the time.

I have some of the orange rx and will work on my S800/z15 one man setup as mentioned before in this thread.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Anyone had any problems with the DX8 not working all the time for taking pics via Zenmuse IR sensor?

One of my customers is having problems.

Sometimes it will not take a pic but it shows as working in the assistant.

zunmuse z15 dont work with dx8 radio try another brand radio they told me (0 min 55 sec)
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:25 AM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
He most likely uses AF. Try it with Manual Focus.
I had the same issue and it was due to AF.
Hope it helps
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman575 View Post
He most likely uses AF. Try it with Manual Focus.
I had the same issue and it was due to AF.
Hope it helps
Thank you VERY much.

I will see if this fixes his problem.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor