HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlocation View Post
...The one catch is you can't use live hdmi out for monitoring in the 720p modes, [B]so hopefully DJI will have a way we can easily attach a 2nd camera for monitoring...
I have a hacked GH2 that I shoot with at 1080 24p. I'm waiting for the GH2 Zenmuse version to come out before buying the Z15. Do you know if the HDMI - AV module supports 1080 24p out?
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:37 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Setting up a Zenmuse and not sure what settings I need to change in the NEX-5N.
I know nothing about cameras and what settings to use.
Does anyone have any idea why when I face the sun my video gets all washed out. I am guessing I need to change a setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY2OQqD13fw
So the way you can keep your exposure the same throughout the video is to shoot video in Auto mode (iCamera icon), the camera will adjust the exposure on the fly, so if it goes from shooting dark trees to bright sky, it should darken the sky so it doesn't washout. This takes a second or so, but that's the best this camera can do. If you shoot in manual,program or any mode or use AEL (Auto Exposure Lock I think) then the camera will keep one level of exposure that you set before the flight. Meaning if you set the camera so that the dark trees are lit correctly, then when you move on to something brighter, it will washout. The advantage of manual mode, is that you can preset the exposure exactly the way you want it as long as you know what your shooting and the light conditions don't change.

One other thing to play with is the metering modes. Usually for aerial I use the Multi metering mode that tries to expose the scene by averaging all of the light and dark areas that it's looking at. Center weighted meters light from just the center area and spot metering meters just a single spot in the center of the scene. Spot is great for photos like portraits, where you want to just meter the light off the person you are shooting and not the background, but not so great for aerial work.

After watching your video, it looks like the sun is just reflecting off your lens causing that washed out look in some scenes. You could try to use a lens hood as that will stop all but direct sunlight reflecting off of your lens. The kit lens comes with a lens hood, not sure about the 16mm.

Buy the way, I just ordered some Graupner E props from you Tony, thanks.

Matt
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Aug 06, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:16 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
So the way you can keep your exposure the same throughout the video is to shoot video in Auto mode (iCamera icon), the camera will adjust the exposure on the fly, so if it goes from shooting dark trees to bright sky, it should darken the sky so it doesn't washout. This takes a second or so, but that's the best this camera can do. If you shoot in manual,program or any mode or use AEL (Auto Exposure Lock I think) then the camera will keep one level of exposure that you set before the flight. Meaning if you set the camera so that the dark trees are lit correctly, then when you move on to something brighter, it will washout. The advantage of manual mode, is that you can preset the exposure exactly the way you want it as long as you know what your shooting and the light conditions don't change.

One other thing to play with is the metering modes. Usually for aerial I use the Multi metering mode that tries to expose the scene by averaging all of the light and dark areas that it's looking at. Center weighted meters light from just the center area and spot metering meters just a single spot in the center of the scene. Spot is great for photos like portraits, where you want to just meter the light off the person you are shooting and not the background, but not so great for aerial work.

After watching your video, it looks like the sun is just reflecting off your lens causing that washed out look in some scenes. You could try to use a lens hood as that will stop all but direct sunlight reflecting off of your lens. The kit lens comes with a lens hood, not sure about the 16mm.

Buy the way, I just ordered some Graupner E props from you Tony, thanks.

Matt
Thanks for the advice and your purchase.

Here is a vid I shot today using the 18-55 lens->

DJI Wookong M S800 Hexacopter w/Zenmuse 3-Axis Gimbal+Son NEX5N w/18-55 Lens for AP/AV Aerial Video (2 min 22 sec)
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:53 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,034 Posts
Tony, what did you do to balance out the 18-55 lens?
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
What I'm curious about is how people are buying Zenmuses (not affording them, though that would be hard enough, but finding someone to buy one from!).

I emailed DJI but no reply.
We have Zenmuse.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:06 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Tony, what did you do to balance out the 18-55 lens?
I flipped open the LCD and added weight to it.
I only did it because the customer did not have the 16mm lens but told my customer to buy the 16mm lens.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:14 AM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,373 Posts
That video looked good Tony. I still think the 18-55 lens is the way to go. I really hate the vignetting in the 16mm pancake.Also Sony mistakenly leaked info on the new NEX 5R and NEX 600 as well as two new pancake lens. One is supposed to be a 16-50 zoom and I can't remember what the other pancake lens was supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure it was something like a 24mm prime.
Daloaf is online now Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:02 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,350 Posts
I just ordered the sigma 19mm lens, let´s see what that lens will give as results ...

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
FPV FTW
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2004
157 Posts
Is there a way to get an SD output from the NEX5 or GH2 that is real time enough to "fpv" it?

Is there a way to snap stills from the ground with a switch on the TX? I noticed neither of these cameras has a time lapse / intervalometer built in.
logicwins is offline Find More Posts by logicwins
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:52 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
4,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post
I just ordered the sigma 19mm lens, let´s see what that lens will give as results ...

best regards

Ferdinand
Ferdinand you are my savior, much appreciated for you to do all of this testing and sharing with the community. Surely saving a lot of us time AND money.

Andy
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Apr 2010
585 Posts
Hmmh there were some reports in the nex 5n thread which say the auto focus of the sigma 19mm is bad for video.
hugy is offline Find More Posts by hugy
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:14 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
4,985 Posts
How often do you need to use auto focus on an aerial video shoot unless you are flying ultra close to objects?
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Apr 2010
585 Posts
I always use auto focus when flying the nex 5n. I like to get close to objects to get some great shots. The shots ferdinand has shown in his last few video's don't need auto focus indeed. He could just focus at infinity and be done with it.
hugy is offline Find More Posts by hugy
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:38 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,350 Posts
@logicwins

With the Sony Nex5n you could fly FPV it is not nice, there is a small delay, but if you shoot potos, the pic is frozen for more than a second which is great because of the adrenalin, but better would be to mount a second fpv-cam.

WIth the Z15 you get an SD out of the Sony Nex (you can plug in a Video TX), and you can trigger the photographs by the RC, there is a "shutter-channel". (uses an IR Transmitter on the Zen).

Regarding the 19mm Sigma, I will check if the auto-focus is working for video.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:06 PM
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Jun 2011
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post

Here is a vid I shot today using the 18-55 lens->
Hi Tony,
Just looking at your video on my iPad so I might be mistaken, but there seems to be quite a lot of vibration in the footage. Do you think this can be balanced out ?
Regards
Eoghan
Eoghan is offline Find More Posts by Eoghan