SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Oct 2012
102 Posts
That´s why I mention to have both options and an adjustable ramp like MK and HFG , you can use it or not depending on your preferences .
toberal is offline Find More Posts by toberal
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:28 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
249 Posts
Finally had my first flight!

DJI S800 + Z15n First Flight (2 min 33 sec)

Had some white flashes so was being very cautious!

Need to adjust the COG... think that caused the twitchy banking about 20 secs into the flight.
Huddo is offline Find More Posts by Huddo
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
If i'm buying both the gimbal and the camera, which set-up would people most recommend.

If it's the GH2, which if the two lenses should i go for?

Many thanks.
plingboot is offline Find More Posts by plingboot
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:49 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plingboot View Post
If i'm buying both the gimbal and the camera, which set-up would people most recommend.

Many thanks.
90% of the ones we are selling are for the GH2, It was the NEX5 but has slowly moved to the GH2.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Jul 2008
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plingboot View Post

Many thanks.
I've got both and I find myself using the 14mm lens over the 20 for most shots.

Also be aware that the HDMI/AV converter on the GH2 Zen is very finicky. It won't transmit in NTSC and since receiving mine back from DJI when transmitting in PAL sometimes I get a purple screen. Kinda weird. I went through about a dozen different hacks (including stock) last night to see if that was the issue but no dice. The GH2 does just fine with the two other 3rd party HDMI converters that I have on hand. So far it's only an issue with the one on the Zen.
blbills is offline Find More Posts by blbills
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otlski View Post
Hi G,

It sounds like from all the replies you've received, that we'll have to assume that no one has tried it; so you will have to be the first. Go for it - it will add to the knowledge-base. Ferdinand sounds like an knowledgeable and accomplish guy, He is mainly talking from a practical standpoint that it cannot be balanced. In reality it can be balanced. The guys who have successfully balanced Zenmuse with alternate cameras and lenses principally do so by shifting the camera's mounting position. In your case you will have to shift until you run out of adjustment room, then you will start adding ballast weight until the CG is coincident with the pivot axes. This added ballast weight will increase the moment of inertia about the pivot. The increased MOI will then also work against you as the gimbal's slew rate will slow.

I am not particularly concerned with burning up a motor. Your flight time will be short as you try to figure out why the image is so blurry. Again, an assumption on my part. BTW - There is no balance sensor on the gimbal rather it is the laws of physics that cause an imbalanced gimbal to jitter or have unintended slews in response to disturbances.

Here is how I think things will go.

You will "successfully" balance the gimbal by being forced to add ballast weight. How well you do this partly determines your outcome

From increased MOI, the gimbal's ability to slew (while making pointing corrections) will slow

The tens time longer focal length will make the setup ten times more sensitive to vibration; this is the biggest factor in my mind. It is well known electro-optical "law". Secondarily, if DJI's pointing accuracy spec was in reality ten times better than they say, they would have published it as such and my thoughts on this would be different.

The resultant image will have lots of jitter

You will not burn up a motor

Sure these are all assumptions on my part but they are educated ones. I have written technical papers on gimbal balancing backed by 30 years of doing the same - something I am uncomfortable saying on an RC forum. That said, I go back to my first paragraph. Go for it! I simply believe that you are on the wrong side of your 80% in this case. If you succeed, I will applaud. If you fail, I will learn along with you.

Best,
Dan
Dan,

Sorry for the late reply! I really enjoyed reading your post! Man, I wish I could write like this! Sound so good and smooth! It took me already 10min, just to write these two sentences...who knows how long it is going to take me, to finish this post! LOL. I am more the "hands-on" guy, not the writer!
That being said, I have to agree with pretty much everything you said! It is possible, but is it practical?! The answer is NO! Especially after I realized how stupid I am! I want the Z15/wookong-m combo because of its ability to shoot super smooth videos... at the same time I am planning on using a long lens to shoot photos... I do not need the long lens for video, so why would I try to mount it under a Z15?! LOL... makes no sense! I am better of, getting the Z15 for shooting video and then just get another gimbal for my EOS5d mkii... The only question now is if the S800 can support a EOS5?! I have to simple google a bit. I am sure the answer is out there and not to hard to find...!

thanks again!

Georgios
neavissa is online now Find More Posts by neavissa
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blbills View Post
Also be aware that the HDMI/AV converter on the GH2 Zen is very finicky. It won't transmit in NTSC….
Thanks for the reply, i'll only need it to transmit in PAL…
plingboot is offline Find More Posts by plingboot
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa View Post
Dan,

Sorry for the late reply! I really enjoyed reading your post! Man, I wish I could write like this! Sound so good and smooth! It took me already 10min, just to write these two sentences...who knows how long it is going to take me, to finish this post! LOL. I am more the "hands-on" guy, not the writer!
That being said, I have to agree with pretty much everything you said! It is possible, but is it practical?! The answer is NO! Especially after I realized how stupid I am! I want the Z15/wookong-m combo because of its ability to shoot super smooth videos... at the same time I am planning on using a long lens to shoot photos... I do not need the long lens for video, so why would I try to mount it under a Z15?! LOL... makes no sense! I am better of, getting the Z15 for shooting video and then just get another gimbal for my EOS5d mkii... The only question now is if the S800 can support a EOS5?! I have to simple google a bit. I am sure the answer is out there and not to hard to find...!

thanks again!

Georgios
Read what Photoship One has posted...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...77105&page=174
Post #2609
http://photoshipone.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=357

Regards

Roberto
rruiz is offline Find More Posts by rruiz
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Hi,

I fly a s800 with zenmuse and next with 16mm pancake. I always have video flicker and i am not sure why. All is set to manual on the camera.

Anyone an idea?

Is it a good idea to rebalance to the nex7 stock lens? Which lens is best for the zenmuse?

Thanks.
atomkind is offline Find More Posts by atomkind
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:04 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,420 Posts
@atomkind

If I understand you post correctly, the flicker comes from the sun shining through the props which causes that change in video brightness. A solution would be a lens cover (and rebalancing, if it fits) or a sheet of black paper, taped on the lens (like a cap) imitating a lens cover. If this is not your problem you should post a video for us to see the "flickering".

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Thanks Ferdinant,

I am currently rebalancing my head for the kit lens as I do not like the 16mm. I will probably get the 24mm zeiss when available again.

I will try to add a little sunshade. I am not sure if its a flare issue, but it might be.

I will let you know. Thanks!
atomkind is offline Find More Posts by atomkind
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:14 PM
Philippines
Joined Dec 2010
540 Posts
Just curious as to how the zenmuse will be on a gasser helicam . Despite some tail wag issue, I think the z15 did pretty well. This helicam used to carry big payloads. I may need to retune her for the much lighter z15 and nex5n.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKYmltSMBy4
Ab74 is offline Find More Posts by Ab74
Last edited by Ab74; Nov 09, 2012 at 02:56 AM. Reason: changed the link
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:17 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
Just curious as to how the zenmuse will be on a gasser helicam . Despite some tail wag issue, I think the z15 did pretty well. This helicam used to carry big payloads. I may need to retune her for the much lighter z15 and nex5n.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKYmltSMBy4
It says private video.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:47 AM
Philippines
Joined Dec 2010
540 Posts
Sorry. Should be ok now.
Ab74 is offline Find More Posts by Ab74
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
75 Posts
flip of death with S800 and zenmuse

Hello !

I had a "flip of death" with a S800 a zenmuse and a "new" GPS before DJI told us about the firmwareproblem.
I could repair the S800 but the zenmuse does not work now.
I send it back to kopterworx for warranty repair.
I hope that DJI will repair it very fast.
The problem is, that I have to make some pictures for somebody and now I do not have a zenmuse.
Kopterworx refused to send me a spare zenmuse.

Fritz
fritz99 is offline Find More Posts by fritz99