HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Jul 2008
129 Posts
Update

Finally received word back on my GH2 zen that I sent in. Sure enough after telling me that I was the only one experiencing issues transmitting in NTSC they admitted that all the the GH2 zens are behaving the exact same way.

Therefore, they are sending it back with no update. Its going to take a firmware and possibly a hardware update to the HDMI/AV converter just as I suspected. I asked them when this will happen and they mentioned that they had several other priorities in front of it.

Let the waiting begin... This really needs to be updated in the manual as I purchased this gimbal with the intent of being able to transmit in NTSC.
blbills is offline Find More Posts by blbills
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:34 PM
Posting, but should be working
Brackendale, BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
The new Black Edition GoPro3 will blow the Nex5 out of the water when it comes to video. I have the 5N and will replace it with a GP3 sadly for video use it looks like. It actually has almost 2x higher bitrate than the 5N.
If all you are concerned about is resolution, then you can continue to tell yourself that. If you are shooting 4x the resolution, then a 2x bitrate is a step down.
But as far as image quality is concerned, until they put an APS sized sensor in the gopro, the quality won't come anywhere near the NEX. The Nex sensor is about 8x the size of the gopro sensor.

There is a reason why Professional Photographers use Full Frame sensors instead of smaller ones, the reason is image QUALITY, not Pixel QUANTITY.

However, a reasonably priced Zenmuse for GoPro, to put on a small quad with a Gopro3, would be an excellent combination!
furyphoto is offline Find More Posts by furyphoto
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:08 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyphoto View Post
If all you are concerned about is resolution, then you can continue to tell yourself that. If you are shooting 4x the resolution, then a 2x bitrate is a step down.
But as far as image quality is concerned, until they put an APS sized sensor in the gopro, the quality won't come anywhere near the NEX. The Nex sensor is about 8x the size of the gopro sensor.

There is a reason why Professional Photographers use Full Frame sensors instead of smaller ones, the reason is image QUALITY, not Pixel QUANTITY.

However, a reasonably priced Zenmuse for GoPro, to put on a small quad with a Gopro3, would be an excellent combination!
Not only that, the new Hero3's "Protune" bit rate is 35Mbps, which is only 25% higher than the NEX-5N/R's 28Mbps rate.
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
Freehold, USA
Joined Jan 2008
397 Posts
Quote:

Well said..
DorianJ is offline Find More Posts by DorianJ
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2003
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oylore View Post
I have now calibrated Z15 gimbals for different lenses. Opperasjonen is not particularly difficult, but there are a few things you should think about.

There are two places one must check for both Pan, Tilt and Rol axes.

1. Start with Tilt axis. This calls for first the height and then the depth of the camera.
2. Roll axis aligned to move first sideways and then the angle of the arm holding the camera cradle.
3. Pan axis aligned first on the vertical tube below the top engine mount and then forward or back at the suspension under the top engine.

Sorry my english, but I hope this can be of help.
Awesome! Thanks for posting this.
Griffo is offline Find More Posts by Griffo
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2003
899 Posts
I think it would be a mistake to discount the Gorpo 3 as a viable contender for the Zenmuse. Sure the Sony is a great camera but one has to think about the application and how they will be using the footage.

My day job allows me to shoot using a wide variety of equipment, including V14 Cineflex, FLIR, Tyler mounts, etc etc. With all these wonderful cameras I still get just as much use from the little GoPro's. It's just a matter of using the right tool for the job.

Fly, edit and enjoy!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:27 PM
Freehold, USA
Joined Jan 2008
397 Posts
I don't think anyone is discounting the gp3, it was just pointed out that a camera's bitrate isn't the only factor that determines a camera's quality output and that the gp3's quality will not rival that of the NEX5. The comment was in reply to a poster wanting to replace his NEX5 with the gp3.

If both camera's were placed in a black box and pitted against one another for video quality...

Yes, the right tool for the right job, gopro certainly has an unmentionable number of uses but an A-cam for professional use isn't one. Keep your NEX5 as your A-cam for Z15 use. Use the GP3 for some sick 120fps slowmo at 720p
Last edited by DorianJ; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:40 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2003
899 Posts
Yes agree, it's not meant to be an A-cam, but rather used as a documentative and B roll filler. So provided it's balanced I'd like to know how the Zenmuse motors would handle a lighter camera such as the GP3.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
checkout my Blog
Joined Feb 2008
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Cole View Post
Dan:

I would be really interested to read some of your papers.
Hi Rod,

They are here.

this first one is written for mass properties guys who may not know much about EO imaging. BTW a typo is on page 11; it should say "A reasonable approximation says that when jitter causes an image to shift less than 20% of a pixel, the image will only be marginally impacted. Above 20% will degrade MTF".
http://www.space-electronics.com/Lit..._Platforms.pdf

this next one is written for optical guys as an intro to advanced dynamic balancing.
http://www.space-electronics.com/Lit...le_Gimbals.pdf

this last one is written by my colleagues describing the methodology and equipment we use.
http://www.space-electronics.com/Lit...0or%20more.pdf

Best,
Dan
otlski is offline Find More Posts by otlski
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blbills View Post
Finally received word back on my GH2 zen that I sent in. Sure enough after telling me that I was the only one experiencing issues transmitting in NTSC they admitted that all the the GH2 zens are behaving the exact same way.

Therefore, they are sending it back with no update. Its going to take a firmware and possibly a hardware update to the HDMI/AV converter just as I suspected. I asked them when this will happen and they mentioned that they had several other priorities in front of it.

Let the waiting begin... This really needs to be updated in the manual as I purchased this gimbal with the intent of being able to transmit in NTSC.
thanks blbills.
buhojean is offline Find More Posts by buhojean
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Quote:

I'm sure you have seen the clarity and sharpness of the video they uploaded (meaning you downloaded the raw mp4 from Vimeo). Of course it's from the manufacturer so you can't always trust it so we will have to see the real user movies.

I'm not only for resolution. The sharpness of their 1080 footage certainly beats anything I've seen come out of the Nex sensor even with the Zeiss 24mm. One thing is for sure, I'm praying that Someone1 gets his crack out soon to achieve a higher bit rate and also offer full manual options in video.

On another note I have both a Sony A65 and the Sony 5N so I'm fully aware of the capabilities of these sensors.
Sid3ways is online now Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2005
1,185 Posts
I think one goal for the NEX is the possibility to record better quality in less light.
GoPro would need almost Sunshine to get the highest quality.
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:55 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
That is true. I would agree for the GP2 for sure, GoPro claims much better dynamic range for the GP3 and the test video shows that. We will have to see real world results though from users.
Sid3ways is online now Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
Heavy lifter
United States, CA, Half Moon Bay
Joined Oct 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ View Post
I don't think anyone is discounting the gp3, it was just pointed out that a camera's bitrate isn't the only factor that determines a camera's quality output and that the gp3's quality will not rival that of the NEX5. The comment was in reply to a poster wanting to replace his NEX5 with the gp3.

If both camera's were placed in a black box and pitted against one another for video quality...

Yes, the right tool for the right job, gopro certainly has an unmentionable number of uses but an A-cam for professional use isn't one. Keep your NEX5 as your A-cam for Z15 use. Use the GP3 for some sick 120fps slowmo at 720p
It's a week or so before the GP3 cameras start shipping. I ordered mine the first night, and I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces.

That said, it's a mistake to assume that sensor size, bit rate or focal length are going to tell the story. Same thing could be said for buying a car based on horsepower, gas mileage and cargo space. Who would buy a car without driving it? Cameras have all sorts of intangibles, so mount it up, push REC and fly it. Then we'll start to see some real data.

Steve
stevemaller is online now Find More Posts by stevemaller
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
Freehold, USA
Joined Jan 2008
397 Posts
READ, again no one is knocking the gp3.

Thanks for enlightening me though, I'll now plan to use a gp3 as my main cam over the nex5/7 and GH2 with its interchangeable lenses, full manual control and APS-C/M4/3 size sensor, It's obvious that's the sensible choice even without test driving! Congrats on your 1st post on RCG