HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:38 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,720 Posts
Discussion
OPEN discussion thread

Just as the title states. This thread cant go off topic because its a OPEN TOPIC thread and its designed to allow posters no shame in asking any question that relates to DLG and flying of DLG`s.

I will start with this post ::http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=248

This IS a very good idea for serious DLG basement builders to purchase^^^^^^^^^^

Its not epoxy directly designed for putting together a DLG from kit form only because of the cure times but its the best for wing repairs, specifically skin repairs and with the use of common thickening agents can be used for every building application found in DLG `s today
Throw away that CA and start using epoxy for every thing you do. Your gliders will become lighter and you wont have to suffer those old CA blues of stale glue.
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:10 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,929 Posts
I agree completely, much better alternative than CA. But it's like trying to develop a production line that minimizes build time. By that I mean, laminating epoxy takes so long to set, that my planes take a huge amount of time now, simply because I always seem to have something drying that means I can't work on something until tomorrow

Doesn't anyone else have this problem?

By the way, this really belongs on the Katana thread, no point in changing threads, only a small part of that thread ,less than 10% (?) is actually related to things that are unique to the airplane, the rest is just the same old thing, this is how I install a elevator horn, general discussion of building (which is great) and of course the advertising and testimonials of what a nice plane it is.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:09 PM
Used Registerer
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2010
125 Posts
Hey, it's time to build a new glider or two.

I just wanted to check in on your favorite epoxies this year. I am about out of my aeromarine stuff and it feels like it is kind of flexible , especially when it warms up.

Are the favorites still West pro set and MGS for wings , pods and booms?

Anyone? thanks Dirk
TahoeDirk is offline Find More Posts by TahoeDirk
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:38 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Hey guys-
Can an iPhone up load pic's to threads here on rcgroups?
Also for my avatar? I don't have a computer. I would like to post pic' and vids , but don't know how
Thanks. Tom

If iPhones can't do photos here, would anybody post them for me?
Tmfury is online now Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:42 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
By the way, this really belongs on the Katana thread, no point in changing threads, only a small part of that thread ,less than 10% (?) is actually related to things that are unique to the airplane, the rest is just the same old thing, this is how I install a elevator horn, general discussion of building (which is great) and of course the advertising and testimonials of what a nice plane it is.

Gary
Gary,
Since this is an "open" thread, I want to comment on your comment. LOL
I have to agree that so many of the posts here on RCgroups do seem to be repetitious. Since I posted what I did on Pauls Katana thread, I have to state that I succumbed to that too.

However, RCgroups many postings are not just repeats, but rather small variations to perhaps an established procedure to technique. Most of these are posted because they have not been seen, or maybe search for, in RCgroups. Once a thread goes off the list pages, I find it sometimes hard to find it again even when I do search. Personally I posted the adjustable servo bead wire control adjustment setup I did because I have not seen it elsewhere in any DLG thread. It may well be on other threads for 3D planes, indoor models, etc, but again you have to be clever in your search terms. At other times people will repeat a post because they cant recall what they posted before and just do it anyway. I have a project for my personal use that will permit me to keep track of what I like.

Like you, I also get tired of seeing the same old rhetoric over and over even from the same person. I have found that people tend to believe what they hear because it is drummed into them, even if it really might not be as correct as one might expect. We are often a creature of habit, so seeing it makes us always do it.

So Gary, how many times do we need to see the question I am new to DLG and need a recommendation for a beginner that is not too expensive?

I think I get your Drift!

Chris
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDirk View Post
Hey, it's time to build a new glider or two.

I just wanted to check in on your favorite epoxies this year. I am about out of my aeromarine stuff and it feels like it is kind of flexible , especially when it warms up.

Are the favorites still West pro set and MGS for wings , pods and booms?

Anyone? thanks Dirk
Dirk,

Downstream of you in Reno, I found that MGS works the best for me. I often set the MGS and part in the mold out on my patio by 11 AM and it cured by 3 PM. I can lay up two parts from the same mold in one day that way.

I do not know how the Pro set works up here, but the old West epoxies did soften and deform in my car up here. So switching to MGS worked. Also MGS does like a post cure cycle, so leaving the part in the car lets it undergo several cycles. A bennie for us up here.

Chris
Last edited by Thermaln2; Mar 07, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:07 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2 View Post
So Gary, how many times do we need to see the question I am new to DLG and need a recommendation for a beginner that is not too expensive?

I think I get your Drift!

Chris
That ought to be a title to a sticky thread posted at the top of this forum. It should probably be started by one of our more seasoned guys and it should point to today's offerings by TopSky and the DL-50 among some others and where to get them. It should also talk about the advantages of buying used and maybe some good do's and dont's. We'll still get the questions but at least then we have a pat answer.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:35 PM
Used Registerer
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2010
125 Posts
MGS sounds great except the 138 + 64 + 45 + 25 = $$$

I guess that's nothing compared to how many hours a scratchbuild can cost me.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:11 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,720 Posts
I just brought home my 3rd gallon of MGS and Once again Im a little annoyed that I got a gallon with a little over a yr to go before it reaches its expiry date. Bought today and it expires in may 2013. I know that is likely a date that applies for it to remain ;aircraft certified epoxy resin but it just ticks me off knowing it has a shelf life of ten yrs and they keep giving me the old stuff.
I pick up my resin but I order online and twice now I wrote in the comment box when ordering I would like the freshest batch they have. I think those comment boxes are a waste in may cases. Anyone else notice this? I spent at least 3 grand last yr at this store. Do you think they are told to sell the old stuff first?I do.

Rant over, I better get busy .
I also bought a gallon of http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog.../polyepoxy.php to make a new mould. Anyone else have any experience with this product? Specially if it does well with MGS?
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:23 PM
Used Registerer
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2010
125 Posts
Whooaah three grand wow Jeff, I'm not sure if that makes you a preferred customer at an aircraft supply store yet? It does look like you have been busy though, I noticed you are selling and/or making bitchin pods and booms now, I thought that was taboo ground for you?. I failed on my first try at a new pod design yesterday , oh well 4$ lost. It is hard to do everything well. Ski powder, Sew, Snowkite , Surf , raise two to four kids and fly dlgs in the mountains, uuuggghh. I noticed you have more posts than me too, lots more . My computer says you are 2145 miles away , that makes it tough to hook up for a tasty beer , am I off topic yet? OK get better resin! see ya, Dirk
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:12 AM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,570 Posts
Quote:
Whooaah three grand wow Jeff, I'm not sure if that makes you a preferred customer at an aircraft supply store yet? It does look like you have been busy though, I noticed you are selling and/or making bitchin pods and booms now, I thought that was taboo ground for you?. I failed on my first try at a new pod design yesterday , oh well 4$ lost. It is hard to do everything well. Ski powder, Sew, Snowkite , Surf , raise two to four kids and fly dlgs in the mountains, uuuggghh. I noticed you have more posts than me too, lots more . My computer says you are 2145 miles away , that makes it tough to hook up for a tasty beer , am I off topic yet? OK get better resin! see ya, Dirk
Dirk,

If you need to try MGS, connect with me, I have both slow and fast hardeners, and might be ordering more in a few months.

If you need a pod of some sort/variation, I have a few molds you coudl try using. At least that will get you familar with that part of layups.

I am working on a new 1 pc fuse, which might be interesting for you.

Starting a new wingtype tomorrow.

Chris
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:10 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,744 Posts
Whenever possible, I purchase some of my high end epoxy cheap after the expiration date. Unopened, of course. I've gotten 6 gallons that way, so far. I used it for things such as making my molds, and for various other projects needing a lot of epoxy compared to DLG layup work. Much cheaper that way...

I would recommend totally ignoring the MGS expiration date. I believe that date is mandated more by regulation than by chemistry. My MGS is at least three years old, probably four, and is still just fine for DLG work. I store it in a temperature controlled place, in the original containers, in the dark. When I need to, I fill up my "working" bottles. Otherwise the original containers stay closed.

I think you might also find that the hardeners are the part with the shorter shelf life, and are more succeptible to damage by air and light and heat. Personally I consider the resin part of the copolymer to have pretty much indefinite shelf life.

In aerospace work, as I understand it even the fabric has a shelf life. Kevlar has restrictions about exposure to moisture and humidity. Etc. None of that would prevent us from making good parts from the materials that by regulation or contract can no longer be used for other projects. Our planes are not human rated and are not mil spec.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:41 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,720 Posts
This means nothing in terms of performance and only a observation but MGS does turn colour with age. I new bottle is not far from clear but as you can see the bottle on the rt is one yr older than the other [my newest batch] Perhap its easier to see with the naked eye but its noticeably darker.I had some kevlar as well that looked as though the first revolution of the roll had seen to much daylight or perhaps moisture. It has a rusty look to it.I have notice my material being wound in brown paper now rather than poly. My guess is the paper blocks light and also breathes.

I cant complain though . Aircraft spruce has been very good to me. Just an observation.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:51 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Hey Dirk, Havent seen you on the boards lately. I guess those kids keep you busy. Why don you post that picture of your little man with your scratch built. That pictures pretty cute.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
This means nothing in terms of performance and only a observation but MGS does turn colour with age.
It does not take much for most chemical to turn color. Your eyes pic up colors quite easily, so they can easily pick up chromophores that result from a small amount of polymerization. For resins, the small contaminants usually do not effect the strength after you polymerize on a wing etc. I really would not worry. Often standard are set up to meet a predetermined specification. At our levels of use, I think you would rarely see any differences. You probabaly have more single momoner contaminants trapped in the polymer matrix that might matter, from poor mixing.