SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Nov 2010
548 Posts
Discussion
Skywalker FPV maiden flight maybe today

Hey,

I'm about to do my maiden possibly today. I'm charging my batteries, 4s 5000mAh and 3s 1300mAh

My skywalker seems to weight a lot, but at least enough to make it balance on the CG. It just feels scary because I've never owned a plane that heavy. I'm afraid that when I throw it in the air for launch that it'll fall like a rock.

Also regarding charging the 4s battery, it's 20C, how many amps can I safely charge it with? HobbyKing websites says 2amps but is that safe at all? What would make my lipo last longer? I'm currently charging it with 0.9A.

Anyhow, hopefully I can launch it for a flight today. I'm using the 980kv motor from BEVRC with 9x6E prop, seems strong enough to handle that weight, hopefully!
raRaRa is offline Find More Posts by raRaRa
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:30 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raRaRa View Post
Hey,

I'm about to do my maiden possibly today. I'm charging my batteries, 4s 5000mAh and 3s 1300mAh

My skywalker seems to weight a lot, but at least enough to make it balance on the CG. It just feels scary because I've never owned a plane that heavy. I'm afraid that when I throw it in the air for launch that it'll fall like a rock.

Also regarding charging the 4s battery, it's 20C, how many amps can I safely charge it with? HobbyKing websites says 2amps but is that safe at all? What would make my lipo last longer? I'm currently charging it with 0.9A.

Anyhow, hopefully I can launch it for a flight today. I'm using the 980kv motor from BEVRC with 9x6E prop, seems strong enough to handle that weight, hopefully!
1c is considered to be a safe charge rate for lipos. C is the capacity in mah/1000.

So for 5000 mah 5 amps and for the 1300mah 1.3 amps. I usually charge at a bit less than 1 c. For 2200mah I charge at 1.5 amps, ect.

You could always start with a lighter battery until you get it trimmed out.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:16 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,331 Posts
NDw nailed it!

As for the weight / motor it should be fine. Here was my launch procedure :P hold SW with my left hand, radio in right hand, full throttle with my chin and launch at about 20 degree angle.
metalfred is online now Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:19 AM
S. Wales
Joined Jun 2008
450 Posts
My maiden was a walk in the park just be ready to put a bit of down elevator in and you'll be fine.
Good luck.
jon davies is offline Find More Posts by jon davies