Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
Help!
Question regarding the repair of a Power 25

I recently had a power failure with a parkzone corsair fitted with a Power 25. While flying inverted and performing some award winning aerobatics the battery was dislodged from the fuselage. Actually a bonehead move on my part; I didn't secure the battery properly and it fell out while flying inverted straight and level. Needless to say it dove straight for the ground with that much dead weight up front. The concrete broke the fall and sheared the motor shaft right off at the bell housing. I have since replaced the shaft with a new one but now the magnets are rubbing a little in one area. It seems any of my attempts to realign the shaft have failed and I am afraid I might have ruined the motor. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar and was able to repair the motor properly? If not, does anyone know if I send it into Horizon would they be able to miraculously repair it for a small fee or is it cheaper to buy a new one? Thanks for any help in advance
Haines
haines74 is offline Find More Posts by haines74
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:47 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,389 Posts
Well, if replacing the shaft didn't fix it then you most likely squashed the bell out of round. It only takes a little to get the magnets rubbing, and it can be nearly impossible to repair correctly.

You could try messing with it, but you'll probably just have to replace the motor... On the positive side, now you'll always be very sure to secure your packs
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
Yeah isn't that the truth. I think my new battery strap is going to be duct tape wrapped around the outside of the plane. Serves me right for trying to make foam go that fast.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,389 Posts
Foam will go a heck of a lot faster than that if you can keep the battery in place
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
You know it funny you should bring that up. I just picked up this little Rare Bear http://www.bananahobby.com/2181.html and reinforced it with some carbon fiber and upgraded the control horns. This little plane screams; I was very impressed the way it flew on 4 cells
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,389 Posts
I've heard of that thing before and seen a couple videos. Very impressive. It makes me wonder why more of the "big" names (*cough* ParkZone *cough*) haven't tried working their special magic in the small+fast arena...

Hanging on my wall seven feet away is a little scratchbuilt foamy that's been Dopplered at about 115mph, and it's just getting warmed up at this stage. Needs a new ESC so I can really drop the hammer on it. I'll probably also rewind the motor at some to get a little more efficiency.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
How did you start winding motors? Did you buy a kit and just give it a try or did you have a mentor in the process? I am interested in winding but have not tackled that area yet. Not sure where to start
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:26 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haines74 View Post
How did you start winding motors? Did you buy a kit and just give it a try or did you have a mentor in the process? I am interested in winding but have not tackled that area yet. Not sure where to start
Here's a good place to start!

Electric Motor Design and Construction forum

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:24 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haines74 View Post
Here is a good tutorial on doing the most commonly used wind (Distributed LRK or DLRK) on a typical small (24 gram in that case) motor:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736580

If you get interested in that thread, read it all, it shows two ways to wind the stator with the second way better suited for motors that will be terminated Delta.

Yeah, I know, all the jargon makes your head hurt... But it will only take one rewind to get over that. And if you don't double the power in the motor, make it run smoother, and get a warm fuzzy feeling from flying with a motor you wound yourself, you are not normal.

The way to get started is to take the motor apart and get the original windings off. It helps if you identify what the original winding was as you do that and also count the number of turns that were wound on one of the arms (they should all have the same number of turns) in the original wind.

And if you post a few photos of it as you get started it will get you more and better help on the rewind. And when it is all over and done the next guy that wants to rewind a Power 25 will have a much easier go at it.

The key point on motor rewinding is that the reason for motor rewinding is to make motors better, not to save money.

Good luck with it!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Feb 2010
72 Posts
Good info guys, Thanks!
I have followed a couple rewind threads before but it is very easy to get lost when one is not familiar with the language. Timocharis really took his time creating that how to thread. It looks to be a good one