HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:45 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,028 Posts
I cant see why they would be connected or affiliated with eachother at all.. but then again DJI does some very stupid stuff

steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygogo View Post
hello tom,

i understand what u are saying, and i totally understand the difference between the esc and wookong assistant calibration. wat my question is:

you say that you have to do the throttle calibration in the transmitter. you set the epa's to 50 %, en then scrol them up and down till it beeps. you ended with epa's of 100up and 122 down. so your minimum output, when connected to the receiver, is 122%. but the wookong wil just out 100% when you connect the esc to the wkm right? and because of the throttle calibration in the wkm assistant, if you leave the epa at 122 in the transmitter, the wookong wil still see 122 as 100 %. so therefore, i think esc calibration is worthless.

am i right or am i mistaken?? hope you understand
Vincent,

All I can tell you is that I followed the directions in the CC's Castle Link software and completed the steps as I previously wrote down for you and it works perfectly with the WK-M system.
If you can get the CC's ESC's to work for you without adjusting your transmitter's endpoints then go for it. I didn't try to do it any other way so I can't speak to what you are referring to.
RC Man is correct when he says: "You have to calibrate both your transmitter and controller board to match the ESC."
Why don't you follow the directions that I previously posted and see if it works for you?

Quote:
Ok thanks rcman. The reason why i think the wookong wont output 120 or whatever, is because when i set the epa s on the tilt of the gimbal from 100 to 150% the travel of the tilt wont expand. Therefore, i think this also goes for the other channels. Correct me if i am wrong?!

So basicly, what you guys say is set the epas using one esc on the receiver, then connect them alle tothe wookong? Two questions:

1: whats the sequence. Firt esc calibration then stick calibration in wkm assistant, or firt wkm assistant calibration and then esc calibration?
2: the esc calibration only needs to be done with one esc then right?

Thanks in advance guys! Realy apriciate your help!
As far as I know the gimbal output and throttle outputs are not related.

In regard to your question of which to calibrate first, re-read my post #115 to you.

Tom
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
I am not saying throttle and gimbal tilt channels are connected, just that they migt use the same method when it comes to the output amount:-) basic is just a puls on both channels, tilt was just an example i could test

@ tkeeg, i was doing that calibration on all esc's, but 3of the 8 esc where one of the fets fried. My dealer said that the problem was with the throttle calibration, that is why i asked. But i thinki am going totry again ths weekend, but until then i try to get as much info as possible from people who have it working
vinnygogo is offline Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:55 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,028 Posts
wow and did Castle replace your fried ESC's
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
Dont know yet, but that is nt the most important for me. I just want to know whatwent wrong and be sure it wont happen again.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:13 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,028 Posts
I would be pissed off that I lost 210$ in esc's....
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
Oh believ me, i wasnt really smiling about it:-) but we use it proffesional for aerial footage, so my main concern is that it wont happen again.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:37 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,028 Posts
well for that level of comfort you are going to have to replicate the problem and correct it hahah don't think you want to do that do you?

do you have a link and thread about your DJI octo? I am debating on a hex or octo and would love to see yours.

steve
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
Sorry dont have a threat or info of it:-) indeed, i just dont want i to happen again
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:02 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
@ tkeeg, i was doing that calibration on all esc's, but 3 of the 8 esc where one of the fets fried. My dealer said that the problem was with the throttle calibration, that is why i asked. But i thinki am going to try again ths weekend, but until then i try to get as much info as possible from people who have it working
Vincent,
You dealer is mistaken about the throttle calibration being the cause of your burnt fets. It is impossible for them to be damaged by doing the calibration as it is specified in the directions in the Castle Link software and in the instructions I provided. As RC Man put it, you are not really calibrating the ESC's you are calibrating the transmitter to work properly with the ESC. They just call it an ESC Throttle Calibration, whereas in reality, it is a transmitter calibration for the ESC.
For you to have damaged 3 out of 8 ESC's doing a calibration there MUST have been something else going on, possibly the positive & negative power line got reversed or something got shorted out. I can only speculate. Or, you were just really unlucky enough to get 3 bad ESC's in the same batch, but I never knew anybody who was that unlucky!
Whatever it was, I hope that you get it sorted out and enjoy flying your octo.
Tom
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
my dealer told me that the problem was, that when you dont put that calibration values in the transmitters exactly right, at startup, you could give some weird pulses like on-off-on-off etc because you are on the edge of on ande off. they said that could be fatal.

i also hope to get it sorted out, and i would love to maiden my octo
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
13 Posts
Hi all,
i'm looking for fast ESC for my hexa with naza controller. Could you reccomend CC esc for now, after firmware improvements? Is that work as fast as BL mikrokontroller ESC?

And 1 more question, why the phoenix 25 does not have external oscilator? Or it is on silabs controller?
Wishnuu is offline Find More Posts by Wishnuu
Last edited by Wishnuu; Apr 09, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:49 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
ESCs in multirotor mode won't arm

Hi Folks

I finally have a controller board to test my phoenix 25 ESCs with the new updated 4.01 quad firmware.

Unfortunately on this board, the escs arm perfectly in airplane mode, but NOT in multirotor mode (red LED flashes rapidly).

Any ideas - I suspect it is something with the flight control board, but why arm in airplane and not in multirotor?

thanks
Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:41 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,028 Posts
Al I have some "garbage" chinese esc's that have better components and they actually work and cost 1/3 the price... wanna try them yet?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:23 PM
East SF bay
Joined Apr 2007
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Hi Folks

I finally have a controller board to test my phoenix 25 ESCs with the new updated 4.01 quad firmware.

Unfortunately on this board, the escs arm perfectly in airplane mode, but NOT in multirotor mode (red LED flashes rapidly).

Any ideas - I suspect it is something with the flight control board, but why arm in airplane and not in multirotor?

thanks
Al
Hi Al,
I had that problem and fixed it with less throttle. If you can go down no further , try lowering it further with the trim. It should eventually turn off the flashing leds...Tony
antonlubo is offline Find More Posts by antonlubo