HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
May I ask what is the update here guys? I just sat here and spent an hour reading all 20 pages of this.. and it started with bad performance in v4.0 and then v4.1 came, and I saw amazing results.. and now, the last few posts are back to negative??

I too am looking for a high end ESC for some AXI's and a new quad build.. but I am really confused..
Tharr62 is offline Find More Posts by Tharr62
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:36 AM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
441 Posts
No better than SimonK, i for one have tried the CC & am back on simonk, never had an esc failure with any type of esc. They are all probably made in the same factory these days, even the cc. Save your money for other gear.
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:35 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
Have bought 8 Ice50 ESC's for an octo high-end project but they are to slow for my likings and they also have a to limited timing range.

Tried an 32bit ESC from MGM, not cheap but what a top ESC, this is what we where looking for we even going to sell them with some small mods especially for multirotor use.

The numbers,

PC programable
2-6S lipo (6-26V)
Max continuous 60A peak 75A (5sec)
Reversible
Integrated Black Box
4 Memory Banks
Freewheeling (0 >100%)
PWM frequency 8 - 32 kHz
Actif braking (0 >100 %)
Steps 2048
Weight 56g with heatsink (with wires)
Weight 41g with heatsink (without wires)
Anti water coating
All wires at one side

The looks,

The test,

Motor test for our new Flexacopter Kratos (8 min 45 sec)
holco is offline Find More Posts by holco
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:19 AM
Joined May 2011
441 Posts
Nice copter Holco, what mods are you doing to these esc's & what FW are they running & the scary bit... how much?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:22 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
Thanks

info@flexacopter.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigg View Post
Nice copter Holco, what mods are you doing to these esc's & what FW are they running & the scary bit... how much?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:58 AM
Joined May 2011
441 Posts
Thanks for the mail...made in the czech republic & $175 a piece ..wow!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:22 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
That is wat you pay if you need real High-End, but if you think they are expensive, look at this

1,669.18 USD only 35A / 5S and less redundancy.

Aerodrive Power board,

Other one,

1,575.96 USD a piece, for an hexa and octo you need two of them
only 30A / 6S and also less redundancy.

Herkules III
Last edited by holco; Feb 08, 2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:06 AM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Quote:
No better than SimonK
It seems some feel this way, and some feel that the CC did as good if not better job. I mean, I just read this from extensive tests done by the members on this post. WHAT HAPPENED? Are they no longer working?? I thought the 4.1 was good to go? Can someone else confirm this. I HATE the concept of trusting thousands to cheap ESC crap. Clearly the build of the CC is top notch., and if people are flying with 4.1 and they are great with Naza then I dont understand that the problem is? Did we not just see the videos a few pages ago of his quad in high wind with near perfect performance?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:37 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharr62 View Post
It seems some feel this way, and some feel that the CC did as good if not better job. I mean, I just read this from extensive tests done by the members on this post. WHAT HAPPENED? Are they no longer working?? I thought the 4.1 was good to go? Can someone else confirm this. I HATE the concept of trusting thousands to cheap ESC crap. Clearly the build of the CC is top notch., and if people are flying with 4.1 and they are great with Naza then I dont understand that the problem is? Did we not just see the videos a few pages ago of his quad in high wind with near perfect performance?
They work well, I had them on a flat hexa and they seemed slow in comparison to my SimonK flashed ESC's. I have since swapped them to a Y6 config and things seem much better. I have concluded that the DJI Naza configs have a different code that affects response. That said, I feel my SimonK ESC's still have a more solid feel in the air. I have the CC PH-25's installed on a new Y6 that I will test fly today. I will post the video here later this evening.

Bottom line...IMO they work well, so do SimonK ESC's at a fraction of the cost. Reliability is a non issue both get the job done. If had to do it all over again it would be a cold day (and it is ) before I would shell another $300.00+ for the CC ESC's when there are products that will equal it at less than half the cost.

I do have to give CC a couple of good points though, I like the fact that they stay very cool even though they do not have a heat sink like their competitors. I also like the fact that for calibration you only have to use one ESC and set the range of your TX and all other ESC's will follow suit. They did things exactly opposite of the China based stuff. The CC ESC's have factory fixed endpoints all that is needed is your TX to know what that range is and your good to go.

Anywho...If you have the cash go with CC.

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:00 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Thanks Power. I get what you mean. Sounds like your basically saying the CC are very good, well made ESC, and will get the job done... however, the SimonK for you (and arguably others) is a bit more responsive, in terms of all out performance.

I think some of it comes down to a mental perception of quality vs. the cheaper stuff. Not to say this is "better" because you and others have proven that may not be the case.. but I guess I am trying to think of it as the Honda accord of ESC's in terms of "solid reliable". The cheaper ones seem to fail, and many reports of that etc.. now granted not many use CC or perhaps we would see more reports of them failing too.

It's a tuff call. Yeah, they are more money.. but, so is a crash (for me).. and if they perform just about as good (and there are some that have said better in this discussion on the early pages) then the Simonk flashed ones.. then it maybe the better way for me to go.

I guess the only "performance" I care about is the Naza's ability to hover in GPS with the wind without getting tossed around too much. IF they can do that, and do that well.. and I dont have to worry about things like this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824769 Then I think I will be happy.

That video above, I myself feel was ESC related in some way. Thoughts? Now if that had of hit the house.. it would have done perhaps more damage then just the quad.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,575 Posts
Anyone interested - I have 4pc of Castlecreations ICE2 HV40 (Opto) with heat sink for sale. All new, on one I soldered bullet connectors but never flown, like new.
I bought these for a heavy lift 6S project which never was finished.
I also have the Castle Link. 40 Euros each.
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:25 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
783 Posts
When interested I have 4 new Ice50 ESC's somewhere laying around
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Quote:
I have the CC PH-25's installed on a new Y6 that I will test fly today. I will post the video here later this evening.
How did your flight go with the CC's? It looks like I am going to spend the money and get them for my TBS Discovery build. I just feel like made here in the USA, somehow they may offer a longer life / quality in the long run. Being that I have already had a major scare in the air last week and almost lost my quad (I think it was the cheap ESC) I dont mind spending the cash for something considered to be one of the best out there.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:01 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,052 Posts
I have been flying PH-25s on a quad since the multi-rotor firmware came out and have had good results. I am using an APM2 controller mostly for AP work. I am pleased with the reliability and have no complaints about stability.

Before that I was using cheap Chinese ESC’s but they would act up in cold weather and I just did not trust them.

Perhaps some controller/ESC combinations work better than others?

Hopefully the new Edge series will also have a multi-rotor firmware option.

Can anyone with a Talon let up know it has a multi-rotor firmware option?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:59 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
As far as cold weather goes, I use the Hobby Lobby Rapid Drives (SimonK) on my heavy Y6. I went out the other day at 2 degrees and everything was smooth as silk...

Tharr62, I have the video from yesterday brewing right now. The CC-25's did well. My new ultra light Y6 did pretty ok too

Mike

power is offline Find More Posts by power