HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:43 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeeg View Post
@ Patrick,
Thank you for looking into this. I'll be interested to hear what your software guys have to say.

@ Al,
I don’t have any other controllers, except for the Mikrokopter ones, so if you could do a test flight on one of your other controllers that would be great!
Please keep us informed of what you find out.

Regards,
Tom
Steve just lent me his copter control board . I guess I will test it on that Steve!!

Would be great if Castle would send us a firmware that allows us to tone down that output so we can test that hypothesis

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Last edited by alros_100; Mar 05, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:54 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
Hey that waw not part of the deal

Good luck!

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:27 AM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Gents,
Let me fill this in with values from V4.0 -- make sure they match

Multicopter ESC requirements:
- The PWM ESCs should be able to do at least 400hz + update rate and running at 16khz Castle: 400hz
- ESC endpoint throttle calibration must be manual. Automatic calibration is bad for multicopters. Castle: Option Available (when set fixed -- is approx 1200us to 1800us)
--Note: This must also consider that there are some different throttle ranges, i.e. 200-1200μs vs. the more standard 1000-2000μsaccomadate the various throttle ranges
- Linear throttle-no curve or "smoothing". Castle: Linear PWM
- >250+ steps. Castle: 2048 steps
- No LVC or the ability to turn it off. Castle: Option Available
- ESC prop stop if stalled by hand, etc, then restart. Castle: Not automatic. Prop strike detection requires rearm
- Governor off. Castle: Option Available
- Brake off. Castle: Option Available
- Start normal. Castle: Option Available
- Motor timing optimization for 12+ pole outrunners 500-1500Kv. (Dynamic changes are bad for multicopter performance). Castle: Option Available
- Available in Amp ranges from 5-80A. Typically 20A, 30A, 40A. Castle: Available
- Graceful over current protection that does not constantly affect multicopter performance as it fights windy conditions. Castle: Option Available
- No BEC on-board. Castle: Option Available
- Also some I2c versions or the ability to do both PWM and I2c like the YGE ESCs can do. Castle: Future Option (CLL breakout)
- Future considerations:
--Two way communication for dynamic braking with inputs from a flight controller. Castle: Future Option (CLL)
-- Serial comm. Castle: Option Available (CLL)
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index[/QUOTE]
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:31 AM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
And BTW- -

Richard is working right now with a couple guys to try to make the quad stuff work across the board.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:28 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick del Castillo View Post
And BTW- -

Richard is working right now with a couple guys to try to make the quad stuff work across the board.
Hello Patrick,

Thanks for your help & interest in this matter. I really appreciate it and I'm sure the rest of the multi-rotor community does as well.
Please keep us posted on developments and let us know if there is anything I, or we as a group, can do to help to find a solution. I am more than willing to test any possible solutions with my WK-M powered quad.

Best regards,
Tom
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Last edited by tkeeg; Mar 08, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:33 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,529 Posts
Thanks Patrick. When will these multicopter-ready ESCs be made available?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick del Castillo View Post
And BTW- -

jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:45 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
and I +1 that you should send the firmware to Tom for testing. He is very experianced with multirotors and I value his opinion.

Steve
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Thanks Patrick. When will these multicopter-ready ESCs be made available?
Cheers,
Jim
Hi Jim,
The ESC's are available now and are the same ESC's that Castle Creations has been manufacturing, it is just that they now have special firmware to make their ESC's compatible with multi-rotor use. This new firmware can be downloaded into their ESC's via “Castle Link”.
Their multi-rotor firmware may work well on some platforms, I don’t know, but it is not working very well on my quad which uses the WooKong-M platform. Hopefully, after a few tweaks by their engineers it will.
Tom
PS: Thanks Steve!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:27 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
and I +1 that you should send the firmware to Tom for testing. He is very experianced with multirotors and I value his opinion.

Steve
+1 for Tom

I am currently testing this on steve's copter control and would be happy to test an updated firmware

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,529 Posts
Tom,
What version of Castle ESCs in the 30A range would you suggest and where is the best place to purchase? I'll get some some to do some test and evaluation.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Hi Jim,
The ESC's are available now and are the same ESC's that Castle Creations has been manufacturing, it is just that they now have special firmware to make their ESC's compatible with multi-rotor use. This new firmware can be downloaded into their ESC's via “Castle Link”.
Their multi-rotor firmware may work well on some platforms, I don’t know, but it is not working very well on my quad which uses the WooKong-M platform. Hopefully, after a few tweaks by their engineers it will.
Tom
PS: Thanks Steve!
`
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:30 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,031 Posts
Jim it has to be the pheonix line. They are hard to come by up here and incredibly expensive... hence why I am not buying any untill I have proof from a reliable source that they are as good or better than the HK blue series re-flashed with simonk.

Steve
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:38 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Tom,
What version of Castle ESCs in the 30A range would you suggest and where is the best place to purchase? I'll get some some to do some test and evaluation.
Cheers,
Jim
`
Hi Jim,

I bought the Castle Creations Phoenix 25amp ESC’s. I got them from here, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGVS0&P=7 , Tower Hobbies in the USA. They have a multi purchase discount so if you are buying 4 of them you save $13.60 over the regular price and if you buy six of them you save $22.44 over the regular price. Make sure you select Quantity Discount when ordering!
They are superbly crafted, small & lightweight with nicest looking 16g wire I have seen yet.
According the Tech Guys at Castle Creations, this Phoenix 25amp ESC is equivalent to other companies 45 amp ESC’s. Of course I can’t verify this, but that is what they say. In any event unless you are planning on drawing 100 amps during your flights, these should be more than enough. As an example, one of my quads has Mikrokopter electronics and AXI motors with 13” props & weighs 7.5 pounds. It only draws a total of 40 amps to hover and about 60 amps at the highest peaks (which would only be 15 amps per ESC at their peak).

Regards,
Tom
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,529 Posts
@Tom,
Thanks for the info. They are extremely proud of them at $80ea RP
@Steve,
Sounds reasonable. Are there any detailed photos of the PCBs? What processor do the CC Phoenix ESC's use?
@Patrick
I grew up on your nice Rx products and modified many Berg 4L's to CPPM for my XBL multicopters I'm not intending to insult but as you are likely aware, at 8x the cost of competition, these are probably way out of the price range of most multicopter hobbyists. That number is growing steadily and exponentially. I know quality has value, but even then, if you want to continue to keep your production volume low for supply demand that will still be an issue for the commercial users with deep pockets and tax write-off capability Also note that most Gents will want to get spares for their tricopters, quads, octos, etc, so there is great potential at some better price point and productions level. I'll leave that to your obviously extensive and successful business acumen..
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Hi Jim,
I bought the Castle Creations Phoenix 25amp ESC’s. I got them from here, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGVS0&P=7 , Tower Hobbies in the USA. They have a multi purchase discount so if you are buying 4 of them you save $13.60 over the regular price and if you buy six of them you save $22.44 over the regular price. Make sure you select Quantity Discount when ordering! ...
Regards,
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Jim it has to be the pheonix line. They are hard to come by up here and incredibly expensive... hence why I am not buying any untill I have proof from a reliable source that they are as good or better than the HK blue series re-flashed with simonk.

Steve
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,627 Posts
Towerhobbies.com is the best place to purchase. They have quantity discounts and discount coupons.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Mar 09, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:58 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Jim,

Yes - -I agree. The Phx-25 is an expensive design to produce -- the TBird-18 doesn't have the programmability though..

We need a low-amp, low cost controller with full programmability.