Lol@recommending turnigy.
What utter trash.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
today, after a long time not having the time to finish my octocopter with wkm and cc esc's, i finally did today. what a great system! i could turn up the gains to about 300, and it is rocksolid! very pleased with it. i only have 1 problem, i has e little turn-away on the yaw every now and then. it then just slowly drifts on yaw lik 10-20 degrees. anyone knows what this is?
vinnygogo is offline Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Old May 08, 2012, 12:51 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Hi V,
Possibly it needs a proper mag calibration and/or some shielding and/or power wire braiding. See this video: Magnetische StŲrungen - Teil 2 See the Wiring section in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index for more info
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygogo View Post
today, after a long time not having the time to finish my octocopter with wkm and cc esc's, i finally did today. what a great system! i could turn up the gains to about 300, and it is rocksolid! very pleased with it. i only have 1 problem, i has e little turn-away on the yaw every now and then. it then just slowly drifts on yaw lik 10-20 degrees. anyone knows what this is?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old May 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
thanks, i did calibrate the compass but i will look into that. any other idea's?
vinnygogo is offline Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Old May 08, 2012, 04:53 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
V,
Sure Check your model for dynamic mechanical neutral stability. See TIP 7 in the Project Quads/Hexas/Octos section of the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygogo View Post
thanks, i did calibrate the compass but i will look into that. any other idea's?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old May 09, 2012, 05:52 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I never could understand why CC didnít make it so that you could save the throttle calibration. Itís lost every time you remove power from the ESC??? Even the very cheap Chinese ESCís have that feature. If you want low cost that works great with multi-rotor helicopters get Turnigy from Hobby King, as they are very good for that application.

RC
The auto-calibrate throttle has been a feature and function of the T-Birds... We have asked engineering to give us the ability to use fixed endpoint throttle to allow us to calibrate the throttle once... also we have asked to give us the multirotor function in the T-Bird line... May even be more to come on top of this ... I know they are working on some more stuff...
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old May 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
RC
The auto-calibrate throttle has been a feature and function of the T-Birds... We have asked engineering to give us the ability to use fixed endpoint throttle to allow us to calibrate the throttle once... also we have asked to give us the multirotor function in the T-Bird line... May even be more to come on top of this ... I know they are working on some more stuff...
That's good news.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 10, 2012, 08:57 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Great news regarding the thunderbirds

Can they handle 4s with use of external BEC?

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old May 17, 2012, 09:12 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Does anyone know why out of 6 CC25s, I had to use external power to powerup the ESC when connecting to the phoenix link (without ext power, only red led on phoenix link light up)? When I got them the first time, I can connect to all of them using just the phx link. I upgraded all ESCs to 4.01 and set them to multirotor mode. Then after a few days (really lazy to finish my hexa ), I want to set the proper rotation of each prop, I had to connect all them again with the phx link, that's when I found out that I had to use ext power. Oh just to be safe, I removed all the red cable before I connect to both the batt & phx link. Everything seems to be find though, all motors are running.
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old May 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,356 Posts
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Great news regarding the thunderbirds

Can they handle 4s with use of external BEC?

Al
Thunderbirds are limited to 15v maximum. If you want more voltage get a Phoenix or ICE. http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...nderbirds.html

I do agree that it would be nice to redesign the Thunderbirds so that they would work with 4s LiPo and had more memory so they could have more programming options.

Old May 17, 2012, 04:08 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmt View Post
Does anyone know why out of 6 CC25s, I had to use external power to powerup the ESC when connecting to the phoenix link (without ext power, only red led on phoenix link light up)? When I got them the first time, I can connect to all of them using just the phx link. I upgraded all ESCs to 4.01 and set them to multirotor mode. Then after a few days (really lazy to finish my hexa ), I want to set the proper rotation of each prop, I had to connect all them again with the phx link, that's when I found out that I had to use ext power. Oh just to be safe, I removed all the red cable before I connect to both the batt & phx link. Everything seems to be find though, all motors are running.
If you connect two or more ESCs with internal BECs together it will cause a BEC conflict. You probably burned out the internal BEC chip. You need to disconnect the red wire on all but one ESC. I use servo extension chords with the red wire removed that way itís easy to connect the Castle Link when I need to.

Since at least one is damaged you should probably send all of them back to CC to make sure they are save to fly. Or at least give Tech Support a call before you fly.

Old May 17, 2012, 06:39 PM
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Nope, don't think that's the problem since I never connect all of them together. I've only soldered the + and - of each esc together and that was it. Never turn them on or plug them to a FC yet. I even think the BEC is OK since I can power up the receiver when I set the throttle thing for each ESC. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old May 18, 2012, 01:51 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmt View Post
Nope, don't think that's the problem since I never connect all of them together. I've only soldered the + and - of each esc together and that was it. Never turn them on or plug them to a FC yet. I even think the BEC is OK since I can power up the receiver when I set the throttle thing for each ESC. Thanks for the suggestion though
Agree with you - its not the bec

I have same issue. It started a while back after i updated a firmware. As a test i reverted to an old firmware and i was able to power it by usb. But now i always have to power the escs with battery for usb to work.

Since this is the issue with every esc i have - i think it is either the firmware or maybe something with the castle link itself

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old May 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Ah cool, thanks for the info Al. I've been hesitate to test fly my hexa because of this. I guess this problem won't effect anything else then
Old May 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
806 Posts
ESC Performance Update

Just to let you all know, I now have about 20 hours or more of actual flight time on my quad while using the CC 25 amp Phoenix ESC's. I have been doing a combination of slow-steady & fast-aggressive flying and so far they are still working perfectly with my DJI WK-M controller with no anomalies.

Tom
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg