Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:01 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Generally < 900us pulses will arm anything.
> 1100 will startup most. (some 1200, some < 1100).
> 1800 will be the final 'bump' where PWM becomes 100%duty and after that it'll be just commutation.

Naza sends 980, which is too close.
Thanks Timecop

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
i think indeed that there is a difference in pulse frequentie between multirotor and airplane mode. when i plug one esc directly into my receiver, the esc works perfect with both endpoints on 100%. in multirotor firmware, i need to adjustt this to around 110-123% to be able te start it. so there seems to be a difference between the pwm frequenties.
vinnygogo is offline Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
It has nothing to do with PWM frequency.

What you're describing is PWM duty cycle for the RC input. I.e. the pulse width changing between 1ms..2ms range.

Not PWM frequency for motor switching, not any other frequency. That'd be in the 8-24khz range.
Not PWM period, which would be 22ms (50hz) default or 3ms (400hz) for fastpwm etc.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
sorry, i ment pulse width indeed
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
808 Posts
WK-M and CC Phoenix 25amp ESC Test Videos

Here are the test videos using the Castle Creation Phoenix 25amp ESC’s in my CX-4 Drone. The video of the Drone was done using a Canon Vixia HF S100 camcorder attached to a bike helmet on my head and the onboard video was done using a Panasonic TX100V camera/camcorder.

In the windy video you will see that the drone handles the wind very well, especially being relatively small, only 20” from motor to motor, however strong gusts tend to affect the altitude hold. Strong gusts will sometimes suddenly send the drone up or down up to a few feet depending on how the gusts hit it. This has nothing to do with the ESC’s, as it exhibits this same behavior no matter what ESC’s I am using. I have this same situation with both of my Mikrokopter drones as well in gusty winds. They all stay at altitude fairly well in constant winds, but get pushed up or down with strong gusts.

As far as the onboard video goes, the camera mount I am using has some slop in the roll axis and because of this tends to introduce some minor jitter in the picture at times. I’m currently working on a solution for this. In addition, as you may know, when using the WooKong-M system for camera stabilization, it does not put out a fast enough signal for the camera mount servos to keep up with the movement of the drone, especially in the roll axis. I can only hope that DJI corrects this problem or I will be forced to buy a separate stabilizer board for the camera mount.

You’ll notice that there are 3 cuts in the windy video, This was done to edit out the parts where the wind stopped blowing for a few moments and to keep the video from being too long. In addition, there was NO type of stabilization used in the post production of these videos, however it would appear that YouTube’s processing has removed much of the video’s original sharpness.

I also left in the soundtrack from the onboard camera untouched so that you could hear the motors speeding up & slowing down according to fligth conditions.

In the parts of the windy video where the Drone is remaining stationary, GPS hold was being used with only fluctuations in altitude due to wind gusts.

The videos are best viewed at the full screen, 1080p setting.

Tom

Wind Testing of Quadcopter Using Castle Creations 25amp ESC's (5 min 35 sec)

Calm Skies Test of Quadcopter Using Castle Creations 25amp ESC's (7 min 53 sec)
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Last edited by tkeeg; Apr 19, 2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
looks great! can you post wich gainsettings you use in the wkm and what settings you used in the cc esc?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:10 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,374 Posts
Looks like CC has a winner with this firmware.

It would be nice if CC were to offer a 4-pack of the Phoenix 25 at a discounted price especially for multi-rotor flyers.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:30 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Looks like CC has a winner with this firmware.

It would be nice if CC were to offer a 4-pack of the Phoenix 25 at a discounted price especially for multi-rotor flyers.
They do. Tower hobbies sells them and has quantity discounts available for those buying in lots of 2,4 or 6 as seen here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGVS0&P=ML . It is not a huge saving, but something is better than nothing.

Tom
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:49 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygogo View Post
looks great! can you post wich gainsettings you use in the wkm and what settings you used in the cc esc?
Thanks.
My Gain Setting in the WK-M are as follows:

Pitch = 140
Roll = 140
Yaw = 250
Vertical = 90
Attitude Gains (both) = 90
Disturbed Gain = 90

The pertinent ESC settings that are not set to Default are as follows:

Voltage Cutoff = 6
Current Limiting = Disabled

PWM Rate = 16

Tom
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
thanks for the info. wat exactly does the PWM rate of the esc? mine are set in outrunner mode at the moment.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:58 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
808 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the info. wat exactly does the PWM rate of the esc? mine are set in outrunner mode at the moment.
I asked timecop, (a guy on the forum with technical expertise), that exact question a little while back & here is the response that he gave to me:

"pwm rate is just how fast it switches fets.
since 25A cc design doesn’t have gate drivers the faster the pwm rate the more losses will be due to switching.
12 or 16k is a good choice for reducing noise from esc, but 24 is probably overkill as it'll be heating fets more and losing power in switching, unless they're using some real good fets with low rdson."

Tom
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
ok clear. maybe timecop can explain what the outrunner mode is?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:07 AM
Fer
Travelling far and wide
Nederland
Joined Jul 2009
106 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is such a informative thread!

Does anyone know if there are also 45 Amp versions avlible with this frimware?
something like these: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-45.html

Regards

Fer
Fer is offline Find More Posts by Fer
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
808 Posts
Quote:
ok clear. maybe timecop can explain what the outrunner mode is?
There is no "outrunner mode" in the Castle Creations multi-rotor firmware. See page one of this post to see photos of the settings pages in the multi-rotor setup.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:39 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fer View Post
Hi everyone,

This is such a informative thread!

Does anyone know if there are also 45 Amp versions avlible with this frimware?
something like these: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-45.html

Regards

Fer
Here is a link to the Castle Creations website showing their 45amp ESC's. http://castlecreations.com/products/phoenix-45.html . If you look carefully across the top of that webpage you will see all of the different amp capacities that they sell in the Phoenix line.

This page shows all the different ESC's that they carry. http://castlecreations.com/products/products_fly.html . I'm sure that their tech support would be glad to answer any questions that you might have....... and NO, I do not work for them.

Tom