to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:52 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Hi Folks

I finally have a controller board to test my phoenix 25 ESCs with the new updated 4.01 quad firmware.

Unfortunately on this board, the escs arm perfectly in airplane mode, but NOT in multirotor mode (red LED flashes rapidly).

Any ideas - I suspect it is something with the flight control board, but why arm in airplane and not in multirotor?

thanks
Al
Hi Al,

Are you sure that you did the calibration of the transmitter to the ESCs properly. Follow the directions EXACTLY as they are spelled out in the firmware. On my transmitter, (the JR 11X), my throttle high point number to get the beeps was around 96 and the low point to get the beeps was around 118 if I remember correctly.

Tom
tkeeg is online now Find More Posts by tkeeg
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
No luck for me on a stock xaircraft 650 with Hoverfly Sport in AP mode and four CC ice 50. The gain values are the same as months ago with a non multirotor firm. Changing to aircraft mode makes it worst. Better at 8hz than any other value. Tested with 0,5 and 10 timming, better seems to be 0. It has 14 pole engines and 4S bat. The results are about 1/3 the gain used with turnigy plush and the flight was a waste of time. Have no idea about what to do with them.
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined May 2010
258 Posts
why dont you use the multirotor firmware?
vinnygogo is offline Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined May 2011
137 Posts
Ive read this topic and am happy there is a nice ESC of high quality next to the cheap chineese ones to work on a multicopter combined with a DJI FCU. I am wondering, does anyone of the above that has a similar setup running have a video where I can see it flying?

Thanks!
Stef stuntpiloot is offline Find More Posts by Stef stuntpiloot
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
I tested both multirotor config and aircraft config but I was also comparing to the old firm when there was no multirotor option on it. Looks like nothing was done what obviosly is not but cant feel any difference.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeeg View Post
Hi Al,

Are you sure that you did the calibration of the transmitter to the ESC’s properly. Follow the directions EXACTLY as they are spelled out in the firmware. On my transmitter, (the JR 11X), my throttle high point number to get the “beeps” was around 96 and the low point to get the “beeps” was around 118 if I remember correctly.

Tom
Thanks Guys

It seems it is an issue with the flight controller I am testing out. The ESCs arm correctly when attached to my receiver, but not when connected to the FC board.

I borrowed a NAZA which I will test next

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined May 2010
258 Posts
wich flightcontroller do you have?
vinnygogo is offline Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
CC team, are you working in any kind of firm improvement for multirotor users or the current one is what you will offer as definitive?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:56 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elossam View Post
CC team, are you working in any kind of firm improvement for multirotor users or the current one is what you will offer as definitive?
You are the only person that I know of that is not happy with the V4.01 multi-rotor firmware. Tests have shown it to be just as good as the Chinese ESCs and some like it better. If you are not happy you need to do a Bug Report (see download page).

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
I read this post twice and found only two people talking fine about it and only me telling it doesnt work. No idea about real numbers but. ... Have tried all kind if timming and all number of pwn rates,
which are the only concepts a user can play with here. The fact that the lower pwm the best in my case is strange. Airplane mode set at 10 helps nothing. 15 atv gain is the lower limit that makes the unit close to incontrolable due to low gain. Setting it to 25 starts to show high gain shakes. Directly changing to stock turnigy plush with just the same frame, engine, airscrew config, weight requires at least 60 gain value and it flyes rock solid.
Have double check the loaded firm on each esc, the same parameters on each, fixed stick points, board adjusted to recognice the thr value. Unless what is valid for a phoenix 25 doesnt work for a 50A unit I cant do anymore. I cant check for hardware differences between both units. Will video the actual results and post/send both to CC because at this point Im tied from hands and feet. The goal is to supply this esc in RTF skyjep units but not in such conditions.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Ok, guys finally Im the third one here that can say the new firm works right. As suggested by RC-Man I changed the airscrews from the sotck ones that must be something close to a 12x5 (they has no reference about it) by graupner 11x5 and I was able to throw the board gain from 22 to 50 getting this way a flight perfomance close to what Ive before with other ESCs. Why did I not change the airscrews before? just because I wanted to compare apples vs apples. Without changing anything and in order to get a reference about how the new CC works, I needed to keep all things as in the last flight, changing the ESCs only. For reassons that go beyond my knoweledge, the new ESCs (CC with 4.01 firm) doesnt like the big airscrews like the old ESCs (turnigy plush) did. That makes me realize what effect to expect when tunning multirotors if an airscrew is bigger than what a ESC can handle (not the engine wich was succesfully tested before in this case). Now its time to analyze the fligh log and start playing with the timming and pwm again to see where are the limits and where the peacefull values. Ive now a big smile because that means Ive now an option to test on the big brothers like the skyjib.
My excuses to CC if my words looks rude above, I admit my fault and hope that helps me and others to know what happened. Why a big airscrew works on somes ESCs and not in others (refered to ESC settings). Things are moving to big multirotors with big and slow airscrews/motor combos, hope this will not be a new weak point in ESCs.
Have a nice day
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:08 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeeg View Post
Hi Al,

Are you sure that you did the calibration of the transmitter to the ESC’s properly. Follow the directions EXACTLY as they are spelled out in the firmware. On my transmitter, (the JR 11X), my throttle high point number to get the “beeps” was around 96 and the low point to get the “beeps” was around 118 if I remember correctly.

Tom
Hi Tom

I was fooling around with this some more. On my JR9303x, the esc endpoints are very close to 100% on both ends. But i think the problem is actually that the castle escs have hard wired fixed endpoints. This is not a problem in normal situations where the esc is plugged directly into the receiver - therefore we have full contol over the throttle range the esc sees by doing the calibration or otherwise adjusting endpoints.

The problem i am seeing is that in multirotors the FC - not our radio is what is sending the "zero" throttle pulse which the castle esc is looking for to arm. If the FC board allows you to calibrate it with your radio, then it should be ok and the esc should arm properly. But if the fc does not have this feature then you are out of luck. Also if the fc does allow you to calibrate with your radio (after you followed the esc- radio calibration instruction) but the fc regardless sends another zero throttle pulse during start up and arming - then again you are out of luck and are depended on the fc manufacturer to support castle native zero throttle signal that allows arming.

Because the chineses esc allow you to adjust their lower endpoint, you have the ability to match your esc to the start up pulse of the fc board

The naza i borrowed arms the castle escs on outputs 3 and 4, but not out puts 1,2.

The above is soley my opinion based on limited testing with two boards. I may be totally off, but the above describes my situation. For examp,e . If i arm the castle escs directly with my receiver, then plug into naza or the other board, the escS work. So either way it is a problem of arming, but not overall functioning

Al
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:14 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygogo View Post
wich flightcontroller do you have?
Vinnygogo,
Sorry, i cant name the other board at this time
Al
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:29 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Hi Tom

The problem i am seeing is that in multirotors the FC - not our radio is what is sending the "zero" throttle pulse which the castle esc is looking for to arm.
If the FC board allows you to calibrate it with your radio, then it should be ok and the esc should arm properly. But if the fc does not have this feature then you are out of luck. Also if the fc does allow you to calibrate with your radio (after you followed the esc- radio calibration instruction) but the fc regardless sends another zero throttle pulse during start up and arming - then again you are out of luck and are depended on the fc manufacturer to support castle native zero throttle signal that allows arming.

Al
Hummm, an interesting thought/observation/theory that you have there.
I can only speak to the WK-M, since I have not tried the CC ESCs with any other FC controller. You may be correct in your theory that you have to be able to calibrate your radio transmitter to the FC, which of course you must do with the WK-M system. Perhaps this is why the CC ESCs work so well with the WK-M controller?
It would be interesting to hear from others who are trying to use the CC ESCs with FCs that are NOT calibrated to the radio transmitter.

Tom
tkeeg is online now Find More Posts by tkeeg