HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
Ok, small update:

On the top right is the Headtracker V1.0 PCB and below is what it is up close after being snapped off the panel:

Below you will see what the IMU unit looks like. It can be mounted on a carrier board as on the left for mounting it to other hardware. It can also be mounted onto PCBs like the headtracker in this case. More details on that later...

I have finals starting monday so I will be busy studying. Will be back as of next week monday with goodies...
slisgrinder is offline Find More Posts by slisgrinder
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:00 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2011
555 Posts
Thanks for the update!

(Good luck on your finals!)
Squawk is offline Find More Posts by Squawk
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
I just couldn't resist posting these pictures up:

I screwed up and forgot to put pull up resistors thus the reason for the blue ones... this is what prototypes are meant for right?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:23 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2011
555 Posts
Nice pics! Project comming to life.. :-)
(Now go study!)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
Well, exams are over so whatever happens happens... I should have something to report by this week or so...
Old May 05, 2012, 12:02 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2011
555 Posts
I hope you did well!

And looking forward to any updates!
Old May 13, 2012, 05:38 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2011
555 Posts
Any news? :-)
Old May 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
Sorry, nothing yet. I have been really busy looking for work among other things that I haven't found the time yet. But not to worry, I am not giving up on this project. Probably in the next couple of weeks I should have something...
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:29 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2011
555 Posts
Still patiently waiting.. just want to let you know I'm still looking forward to this product. :-)
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
I am terribly sorry about the delay... There is just too much going on at the moment and haven't had the chance to update really... I am still working on it but I am currently broke so I cannot make further prototypes of the headtracker. So I am focusing more on getting my website up and running so that I can start selling my IMU modules...
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
Well, I have hit a snag in the code. It is taking up too much RAM (as the M0 uC has limited space as apposed to the M3) so I have spent the past 3 weeks optimizing the code to use the least amount of RAM. Also I have been tweaking the overall structure of the code to reduce times between reads of the IMU as well as to reuse existing variables to make the overall footprint of the code smaller. I have been successful in reducing the code size but the RAM is still in question. I think I might reduce the number of moving average samples the program takes. Currently I have to allocate 36 KB of space in RAM (256 samples x 3 sensors x 3 axis per sensor x 16 bit results per axis). This effort that I am putting in to reduce code size should be worth it as I can then add more functionality into the code while keeping the code lean.

In the meantime, this is what happens to my failed prototypes:
The proper way of retiring your failed prototypes... (3 min 1 sec)
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:03 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,067 Posts
So I guess this project is dead then? Looks like someone was throwing tic tacs at it

Can anyone tell me honestly what the advantage of this "Custom Headtracker" has over this DIY Open source one?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559

Subsonic
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
no, fortunately this project isn't dead.

I see no real advantage over the headtracker I am developing. I am not sure whats being used in the Open Source headtracker for fusing the measurements but I am using Madgwick's algorithm that he has made public.

This headtracker that I am developing is a spin off from my autopilot project so I thought why not make use of it in a place where its lacking. I never hoped this project were to become marketable but after posting it here I found encouragement in doing so. By all means if there is something better out there, please look into it and also please post it here so that I am aware of it too. It would be a good learning experience for me. Its good to see more people taking initiative to fill the gaps...
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:05 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,067 Posts
I'm very glad to see this project is still running. I have been looking to add to my FPV experience for a long time with headtracking pan and tilt, and this unit (and the Open Source one) looks like they might fit the bill. We absolutely NEED a rugged and reliable headtracking sensor / interface to the RC unit. Just wondering at the moment which to go for, but I've waited this long already so am keen to see what you come up with.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Oct 2009
104 Posts
So, long time since an update. The prototype was a success and I am making the necessary changes to the design. Although progress has been halted since I don't have an oscilloscope to take any measurements or to read any signals. I have gotten thus far by using my Salae logic analyzer to measure the ppm pulses but the logic analyzer cant do the job of an oscilloscope.

Till then I have been working on improving the design and code. The pcb is now 0.75" x 2" and I have gotten rid of the micro SD slot. I have also gotten rid of the pin header for programming the device as it can now be done over USB without any special software. I will post more details in the coming days.

I truly am sorry for the slow progress of this project and I don't want leave you guys hanging for so long. But without an oscilloscope I cant continue any major work.