SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:43 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
Question
foam safe spray paint.

Hi guys. I am now getting close to completing the repair on my Edge Dancer after having had the unfortunate encounter with the winch. But this time I am going to paint the top of the composite wings white. What is your favorite foam safe spray paint? Will it interact badly with the white that is already there? I have heard of Krylon H2O but am not sure about the finish quality of this paint. Regards, Donald.
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:06 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
Well, after doing a search I found Krylon Fusion, Testors, Model Master paint, etc. But these had to do mostly with EPP and other foams. Not sure how that compares with the blue and pink foams that are used in my composite wings...
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:04 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Use a water based paint, available at most craft stores. The one draw back is that even when they say "gloss finish" it's really matte

Or Krylon Latex rattle can. But it's heavy, to get coverage over pink or blue foam.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,900 Posts
I've used B-I-N shellac based sealer and stain killer rattlecan spray as a primer on foam plugs used for making a mold. It didn't bother pink foam, then I was able to spray with rattlecan laquer with no ill effects. I think Kilz is another similar brand. As an added bonus it's very highly pigmented white. Dries flat, but you could probably polish it out if you don't want to take any chances.
As usual, YMMV, test it on something first.
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:02 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
Thanks guys for the input. I think I misled you all. As the wings are composite, they are blue foam inboard half and pink foam outboard half that has carbon laminate on the surfaces. I am just concerned about getting spray between the small spaces I might not be able to seal up. I suppose I could use white lacquer but I would have to be sure there was no way for the spray to get to the foam underneath...

PP
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Dec 2005
2,900 Posts
That's what I'm talking about, plugging those pesky pinholes with a shellac based paint and therefore shielding your delicate foam from nasty solvents. Or just using the shellac based paint since it is the color you want.
You are right to be concerned as most bagged composites, which is what I think you have, are somewhat porous due to a dry lay-up. Hollow molded ships (also composites) are typically using rohacell type foams in the skins, and are more solvent resistant.
Dave
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:17 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
Dave, that sounds like a great idea. I could just use the primer. I assume that can be bought at most stores?

PP
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Dec 2005
2,900 Posts
I got mine at Home Despot. I think it's main use is covering water stains on ceilings, or pitch filled knots in pine prior to painting.

Dave
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:24 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
The nice thing about going with this idea is that it will keep the weight down.
My Dancer was light for its size to begin with and I did not want to add much to that.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,145 Posts
PP I have done a lot of testing of spray paint lately due to a lot of controversy about the new formula of Krylon .I have found that ACE premium fast drying enamel is the best .It takes less coats to cover and should not damage foam under a composite skin .Stay away from lacquer type paint as they are too volatile and could eat into the foam.Medium light coats at first, with a nice dry time between .Good luck
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,145 Posts
You got me thinking ,I have also had excellent luck with water based air brush paints.The stuff for RC car body's works great , be leave it is Pactra brand ,also Auto Air colors are good they will not damage the foam at all.I have had great luck using Ace premium enamel to clear coat. it. On one plane I did not use any clear it has a satin flattish finish.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:29 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
Thanks Doc for the great info and pictures. I will take a look at the paint you suggest at the local Ace Hardware store.

PP
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:01 PM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
631 Posts
Hi Don,
I've used the Kilz brand water based primer with excellent results. Doesn't attack the foam. Then I have followed up with a very light coat of gloss enamel. Various brands from Home Depot, Walmart and Ace all seem to work well. The trick is in the application. Very light mist coats, almost to a dry touch, with the final coat a bit heavier to give it more gloss. Then, after a couple of days of dry time, I rub out with a very fine compound, then wax.
I've done this many times and the paint has always outlasted the wing!

Jim
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:12 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
Thanks Jim! I think I am going to go on a trip tomorrow to Ace Hardware to take a look at their paint. I am getting close to having this thing back in the air.
BTW, I talked with Larry just a couple of days ago and told him I would like to make a trip up to see you guys so we can do some soaring up there when the weather warms up. He said you already have the soaring sundays planned out.

Donald.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:40 AM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
631 Posts
Hey Donald,
Yep, I'll get those posted on the AAGMC site here on RCGroups in a couple of weeks. Still trying to get my workshop back in order after moving to Medina. So much to do and so little time. We will be driving thru Tenn on the way to Ocean Isle during spring break and hope to get some flying in. My friend Kaan is back from Turkey and lives very close to a wonderful slope site down there in the mountains and we are hoping to get some stick time on the way thru.

Good luck with the painting! With your artistic touch I'm sure it's going to look fabulous!

Jim
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay