Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:51 PM
Registered User
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Dec 2011
133 Posts
Help!
300x or 450x

i want to upgrade to the new blade 300x or the 450x because im tired of crappy tail motors on my micro heli's ihve had a mcx2 msrx and a mcpx v2( i flew a handfull of times in a wide hover before tailmotor crapped out).
would i be better off going with the 450X for $120 more i heard that they are more stable. any suggustions thanks
minkyboodle is offline Find More Posts by minkyboodle
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:30 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,243 Posts
I checked out the 450X today. It's got good looking components, nice electronics and the plastics used feel very durable. I'd buy one, if I was in the market for a 450.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
96 Posts
Couple of ways to look at this......
The 300 X isn't due out until the end of next month (current ETA.....).....
If you're anticipating a $$ outlay of ~$500...that COULD get you the 300 X....AND a bunch of spare parts (always nice to have!!!)....
OTOH.....You COULD be like me.....chewing my nails to the quick, waiting for EITHER the 300 X or 450 X to show up....and pulling the trigger on the first one out of the gate (the 450 X)....!!
Having gone via "route" #2....I now have a very NICE $500 heli (ON THE WAY)....with very few spare parts to repair/replace...BUT...I still have my mCPx that will tide me over until warmer (read: less snowy!!) weather returns here in the Northeast....
Either way you decide to go, I'm sure you'll be VERY happy!! Both the 300 X and 450 X look like real winners for Blade/HH....
Good luck! And be SURE to keep us posted re: "future investments"!!!
dasBlade300X is offline Find More Posts by dasBlade300X
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:32 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,123 Posts
The 300x does not have much direct competition but the 450x will be coming to direct competition with the highly established Align 450 pro with 3GX. In any case, I would prefer not to go the RTF route with a 450 as they can be very dangerous. I would prefer to have a kit built by a professional than assembled at a factory.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:32 AM
Registered User
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The 300x does not have much direct competition but the 450x will be coming to direct competition with the highly established Align 450 pro with 3GX. In any case, I would prefer not to go the RTF route with a 450 as they can be very dangerous. I would prefer to have a kit built by a professional than assembled at a factory.
To be honest, I can't understand why people get so hyper about this. Also why if people don't intend to get this, why do they hang around these threads making these "mom"-like comments. You aren't the only one, so I'm not trying to pick on you.

All you have to do is check over the critical moving parts. This you have to do even with a "pro".

When I assembled my TRex 250, a lot of the preassembled parts were lacking loctite. That's why you need to check this stuff. I note the 300X manual tells you to check the tightness of the screws, I bet the 450X manual does the same.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:40 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hahn View Post
To be honest, I can't understand why people get so hyper about this. Also why if people don't intend to get this, why do they hang around these threads making these "mom"-like comments. You aren't the only one, so I'm not trying to pick on you.

All you have to do is check over the critical moving parts. This you have to do even with a "pro".

When I assembled my TRex 250, a lot of the preassembled parts were lacking loctite. That's why you need to check this stuff. I note the 300X manual tells you to check the tightness of the screws, I bet the 450X manual does the same.

The truth of the matter is that many beginners won't do this, and this also includes many experienced modelers as well. The fact is that many who buy RTF helis have a false sense of security. I wonder how many would bother to check the screws on the feathering shaft. Just by checking them could make the screws go loose.

I have been hit by a thrown off blade by 450 before and to say it is scary is an understatement. I only sustained a minor cut to my middle finger then, if it had happened further up, I could have lost my sight. If you are a sloppy person like me, you really shouldn't be looking at a RTF, but rather at a professionally built model.

I am making "mom-like" statements because I have personal experience of being injured by a 450, not because I want to scare monger.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Mar 04, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:33 AM
Sussex, UK
RobinBennett's Avatar
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
mcpx v2( i flew a handfull of times in a wide hover before tailmotor crapped out).
IMHO you should get a new tail for the mcpx and give it another go.

The v1 tail was weak, but with a v2 tail and a decent battery it's not bad at all. It will save you a lot of money while you're learning inverted hovering and inverted circuits, compared to a 300 or 450

The extra power of the bigger helis is great, but you can easily get stuck in a rut where you're too scared to try new stuff for fear of the expense of crashing.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Dec 2011
133 Posts
i had the v2 mcpx and the tail was still junk after a few flights the tail gave out and i smashes into the ground so i upgraded to a 120sr tail motor and had to glue it into the heli then that wasent tuned rightr and went out of control too lol. i don't want to ever play with tail motors again i want belt or TT so its more reliable. your right i might get scared to do stunts but so far im not interested in 3d flight it doesnt apeal to me to much, but i got this 450x heli for the small chance down the road that i may want to go inverted
minkyboodle is offline Find More Posts by minkyboodle
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:47 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The 300x does not have much direct competition but the 450x will be coming to direct competition with the highly established Align 450 pro with 3GX. In any case, I would prefer not to go the RTF route with a 450 as they can be very dangerous. I would prefer to have a kit built by a professional than assembled at a factory.
sorry, but the blade 450x isnt even close to being a competitor to the 450 pro 3gx
there is no comparison between the quality of the two

the align 450 rtf that is in the works will be more of a competitor.
nick779 is offline Find More Posts by nick779
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:04 AM
Sussex, UK
RobinBennett's Avatar
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
i had the v2 mcpx and the tail was still junk after a few flights the tail gave out and i smashes into the ground so i upgraded to a 120sr tail motor and had to glue it into the heli then that wasent tuned rightr and went out of control too lol.
I think you're wrong to write this heli off just because you got a bad tail motor, and then because you fitted another one that's too big and too heavy. For $10 you could have nice little heli that doesn't have a history of wearing out motors.

By all means spend $500 on a bigger heli, but beware that it too will need spare parts at some point, and it doesn't mean it's junk.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:19 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
I think you're wrong to write this heli off just because you got a bad tail motor, and then because you fitted another one that's too big and too heavy. For $10 you could have nice little heli that doesn't have a history of wearing out motors.

By all means spend $500 on a bigger heli, but beware that it too will need spare parts at some point, and it doesn't mean it's junk.
I fly a blade sr and 120 sr ... And people do the same talking about the SR. The tail is hard to tame sometimes and takes time. People get mad about it and trash the bird. They could take an hour and tune it so it doesnt burn up motors My SR has ALOT of flights ran through it, and the tail is solid.

How long did your tail motor last? I would bet awhile. Did you do break ins? Did you lube the motor up? If you do the breakin, and lube the motor with a tad of clp (i use) before flights .. It will be a great heli.

And finally to get on topic, the 300x and 450x look just awesome. My LHS said he thinks they will be very "twitchy" and he seemed not excited about it .. But he tests dx tx's for manufacturer and is required to do 90 flights a week with the proto hes testing loool. So I think hes burned out on heli's/airplans.

I dont know which ide get. I guess the 450x since I already have a 300 size bird? I figure they will be close to the same with the 450 being more powerful.
teamscon is offline Find More Posts by teamscon
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:17 AM
Sussex, UK
RobinBennett's Avatar
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
How long did your tail motor last?
My mCPX has done hundreds of flights, and the closest to 'maintainance' that I've done to the tail is wiping off the worst of the mud after a crash.

Quote:
I dont know which ide get.
I think a lot depends if the 300x turns out to be small and light enough to survive the sort of crash where you loose orientation and hit throttle hold, and whether the FBL gyros make it comfortable in average outdoor conditions.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
My mCPX has done hundreds of flights, and the closest to 'maintainance' that I've done to the tail is wiping off the worst of the mud after a crash.

I think a lot depends if the 300x turns out to be small and light enough to survive the sort of crash where you loose orientation and hit throttle hold, and whether the FBL gyros make it comfortable in average outdoor conditions.
Im ready to see some real reviews on the 300x and 450x. Excited about it even though i cant afford it. The technology keeps progressing in ehelis and is very exciting!
teamscon is offline Find More Posts by teamscon
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:55 PM
Registered User
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Dec 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
I think you're wrong to write this heli off just because you got a bad tail motor, and then because you fitted another one that's too big and too heavy. For $10 you could have nice little heli that doesn't have a history of wearing out motors.

By all means spend $500 on a bigger heli, but beware that it too will need spare parts at some point, and it doesn't mean it's junk.
i just wanted to give up tail motors all together and go with somthing that wont have tail problems. i understand that i will need parts down the road, parts do break, but i just felt i was better off just getting an entry level 450 that is pretty good quality so the only cause for me crashing is user error and not because of a part not working right.
but thanks everyone for replying to my post,
kyle
minkyboodle is offline Find More Posts by minkyboodle
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I flew the Blade 450X today behind the hobby shop and must admit this is a great 3D heli for the price due to the BeastX fbl system. I'm just a bit apprehensive about the servos. I would fly the stock servos until a crash and then change them out to 5065MG.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool New FBL Blade 450X 1st flight out the box video p4ddy Mini Helis 0 Mar 02, 2012 02:34 PM
For Sale New In Box Blade 450x hidaven Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Mar 01, 2012 08:37 PM
Link testing of the new Blade 450X by RC Rototworld magazine test pilot guyro 3D Electric Heli Flying 0 Feb 28, 2012 09:51 AM
Discussion Blade 450x Torch8 Mini Helis 16 Jan 24, 2012 07:57 PM
For Sale T-Rex 450X Drive Belt $4 shipped Wing&aPrayer Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Sep 07, 2011 03:12 PM