HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
What can I say, but.... Wow! really nice to see and thank you for posting this. I loe all the Photos. They do this model justice.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Thanks Fred, but the credit for such a great looking build goes to my friend
Speedy01 (Gene). He did a fantastic job enlarging the plan, making the tissue coverings, baking the wings and applying the tissue. All I had to do is put it together.

It's an easy paper to 2 and 1mm Depron conversion. I have some minor reworking of the e-gear to do. Need to move the brick into the cowling and addjust the thrust of the motor. I also have a buch of detail work to do on it , guns rigging,minor cockpit work and pilot painting.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:48 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Pete,

I think Gene pointed me here to see this. And much credit does go to you for such fine craftmanship putting it together, Face it all left thumbs and it wouldn't even be an airplane!

I will love to see the detailing you choose. Im sure it will be lightweight and looking good. Any photos of that work in process would so be iceing on the cake (hit, hint). Working out those bugs to get it flying right is also such an art.

Soooooo. Again. great job! Over the top!

Fred
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
The Death Of Werner Voss

How old was Voss when he was shot down? See here:

Rise of Flight "The Death of Werner Voss" (7 min 37 sec)

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
296 Posts
nice job!
how much does it weigh?

I stack everything in the front on mine.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1570284

SPT does the best graphics I have ever found. amazing work.
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:51 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Hey Gene,
Thanks for the cool video...

Thanks Dcwwcp,

Love your Dr-I great job! Mine has the PZ P-51 motor & gearbox, and it has 2mm Depron wings and fuselage. The tail parts are 1mm Depron.

It's weight WO battery is 36 grs. I just readjusted the thrust line and also had to move the battery up to the cowling to get the CG on. She flys pretty good considering these items were off. I hope to retest fly later today.

Your's looks great in the video. My friend Gene and I have tried the direct printing with some success but we are not there yet. He did the fantastic tissue covering of this bird and baked the wings.

PS loved your SE-5 build and cool video.

My friend Jin made some laser cut Spandau MG's for this bird for me from very thin styrene. I have to make additional parts then paint and add them.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Mar 17, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:43 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Master Jin did a great job on the MG - excellent!

dcwwcp,

What is SPT?

Gene K
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Sep 2008
296 Posts
Small Paper Things.

a company that does card models and "repaints" of existing cardmodel graphics that are the best I have ever seen. the WWI and WWII planes that they do are truly fantastic. I own all of them. I highly recommend checking them out.

http://www.ecardmodels.com/

Mtflyr - I love those spandaus! great stuff. I have done alot of printing on tissue, but I like it for larger models. for micros and flying indoors, inkaid and printing to foam is the way to go. my Dr.1 is 34g with 4 channels and a 160mAh battery. it is a floater.

your tissue Voss is an excellent looking model. you're rotary engine is much better looking than mine. it is not easy to make a Dr.1 that flies well. nice job, make a video!
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Last edited by dcwwcp; Mar 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwwcp View Post
Small Paper Things... I highly recommend checking them out.
Thanks. I found this site http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/s...ings-projects/ , but was disappointed that the poster (Anna) can't be found at other sites or with more recent posts. Where did you find Small Paper Things WWII models?

ECardmodels has an excellent store ...so had to get two more Small Paper Things - the Spad 13 and Fokker DVII (if for nothing else than the great graphics).

Gene K
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:06 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
I don't want to clutter your thread, but thanks for the photos of details like the micro Spandau MG's. Over the top for sure. I know that was a work of love and huge devotion.

Fred
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Hey Fred,

Thanks, I just flew it today with the motor thrust changes and that did the trick she flys great now. So when I have time I'll work on details.

I have to cast a bunch of pilots though for folks I promised.

Thanks again,

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Mar 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:45 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
had a little time to work on the MG's and add them. Thanks Jin.

Next paint the pilot and add some additional minor details.

Pete
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:06 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Pete,

Thanks for the great photos of the details you are working on. I don't know if anyone else is amazed at the tiny little MGs but, wow. I had been in Florida with no WiFi for a week, so sorry I didn't see this when you posted it. Any more progress?

Fred
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:57 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,977 Posts
Thanks again Fred.

I didn't do the MG's justice with my paint job. It's hard for me to make foam look like metal.

I also now have this bird dialed in on flying. One thing I realized after a hard landing was Gene had made the tissue coverd foam wheels so light I did need additional weight in the cowling to make up for it so now she flys great.

I'll get some video ASAP. Still have to finish painting the pilot and other minor details but I really like this bird.

Thanks,

Pete
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:34 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Still have to finish painting the pilot and other minor details ....
I'm looking forward to seeing the personality you paint into the pilot. Will he look like Voss?

Gene K