HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:32 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
Build Log
Quady v2.0 (on-board video, custom frame, T-Motor, DJI Naza, 10x4.5 props)

Hi everyone,

I decided to start a new thread for this wave of modifications on my frame since the results are so good that it is like a whole new quad. If anyone is interested in my old thread where the beginning of my journey is, please click HERE.

After last night's showroom flight, the quad was so stable that I had a chance to take a good look at it while hovering. A lot of the vibration problems became apparent in that moment, so today I set out to remedy this. I also wanted to rewire it since all of the additional stuff on the booms was really messing things up and I hate messy jobs.

So I got at 10 o'clock in the morning today and finished working around 19 in the evening. This was my least productive Friday business wise. It is amazing how long does testing and rewiring takes.

So I took the quad to pieces and started from scratch. First I removed the original motor mounts and drilled an extra hole closer to the outer one on the booms in order to mount the motor directly to the boom. To soften vibrations at the source I put isolation rubber between the motor and the boom and between the bolts and the boom. It turned out really nice and now there is no flexing.

Next I had to make a new wire harness due to wiring reorganization. BTW I am running out of bullet connectors now.

I then mounted the Naza's VU unit, the li-po alarm and the receiver on the bottom plate. They will be sandwiched between the two plates to keep them out of sight and to bring some order to the wiring. I mounted them in a way that will not infringe on their usability. On the bottom of the plate I zip tied the wire harness really tight so that I would be able to plug and unplug the battery with one hand if needed. Also the harness is directly below the alarm so that I could still plug the balance lead even if its wires are too short.

After a lot of bolting and unbolting and testing and fiddling and wiring the frame was ready. Clean as a whistle, and smaller by about 8cm. The frame had a motor-to-motor distance of 60cm when I started, it is 52cm now.

So the li-po alarm is at the front of the quad. The battery will always be mounted this way. Also you can notice that I have removed the brown wire as well from the ESC leads in order to minimize wire clutter, worked like a charm but does take a lot of time to do. I didn't cut the other ESC wires, just zip tied them to the ESC.

On the left side I put the VU unit, USB plug on the outside and LED still visible.

On the back I put the receiver. I removed the red and brown wires from the receiver cables, only left them on the U plug from the Naza in order to get power to the Rx. That really reduces wire clutter.

For the props, I replaced the heat shrink on the prop adapter shaft with electric tape. I would cut one long piece and wind it until I can barely push the prop down on the prop adapter. It centers perfectly and then I just tighten the nut and it stays dead center. Worked great!!

Vibration test results: I zip tied my phone to each boom and tested each motor with props mounted. The vibration line was flat at 50% throttle, and it showed only little signs of life at 100% throttle. Because I was holding the frame down during testing so it wouldn't fly off I could feel close to NO vibrations on the frame. I am amazed of the result, did not expect it to be so severe in vibration reduction.

Weight was 1236g, and now is 1184g. Quady v2.0 is 52 grams lighter. I am so proud.

Have not tested it outside yet, but will do so tomorrow, weather permitting, and will share the results, but I am quite optimistic now. I will also get my laptop with me so I can adjust the gains further as well.

UPDATE 1

First outdoor flight is a fact. Took it out today, did some dialing in with my laptop and this is the most stable I have been able to get it. It was windy so it did feel a bit nervous when there were gusts. It will take some more tuning when it is calm.
Quadcopter x525 frame /w DJI Naza FC (first outdoor flight) (3 min 9 sec)

Here is the on-board video. There is some jello, BUT the camera is hard mounted to the frame, so with that in mind it does look quite good.
Quadcopter x525 frame /w DJI Naza FC (on-board video) (3 min 14 sec)

UPDATE 2

Today there was almost no wind, so I took Quady out to an open field. There was a light breeze there, but nothing too serious. Now before I start praising the Naza, I want to ask all the people who have a Naza and know configuring it to read below and help me get over a slight problem that I am having.

In video you will see a strange behavior from the Naza. As I slide it to the left, towards the breeze, at some point it would shake and throttle up like crazy for about 30 meters until I drop the throttle and take it down. Sometimes it does that pretty violently, the last two times it happened were almost together, I still hadn't taken it down from the first shoot up, when it did it again and it went up even higher to the point where it became not bigger than a coin from where I was standing. From the on-board camera I can tell that it rose as high as an 8 story building. You can see what I am talking about in the video below at: 0:10 mins, 0:35 mins, 1:25 mins, 2:58 mins, 6:55 mins and 7:18 mins.

I noticed that this only happened when I gave it more slide, if I move it very gently against the wind it doesn't do it, only when I try to move quickly against the wind. When I came back home I noticed that there was absolutely no wind in the yard so I flew the quad here. It didn't even need any trim, it was rock solid, I throttled it up and down, slide left and right, absolutely no shaking or throttling up on its own. It was really stable.

If anyone has any idea how I may be able to overcome this, or if it is even possible to overcome it, I would very much appreciate any advice.

Now to get back to the good stuff. The controller is amazing, when there was no breeze it was rock solid. The on-board video still has jello, but I have yet to address this issue. Overall, I am really happy with how it performs in calmer weather and I can definitely see why it costs as much. I played a little with the manual mode, it is quite different than the ATTI mode, more like the HK controller, but not as aggressive. It is interesting that in Manual it hovers between 40% and 45% throttle.

A friend of mine was there with his HoverFly Pro Hexa, that thing didn't care there was wind, it stayed bolted in one place, really stable, no shaking, I can see why it costs twice as much as the Naza, and that board will be the heart of my future octo build.

Quadcopter /w DJI Naza (modified x600 frame, outdoor testing and weird throttling) (9 min 8 sec)

UPDATE 3

I took the time today to modify the landing gear so that it doesn't get caught on roots and grass and also to increase the height of the quad from the ground.

This is what I did, and I am very happy with it, it is actually sturdier now than it was before and it is higher.

I also tested the quad with a 2s 4600mah li-po. It handled amazingly, it is noticeably lighter, you can hear that the motors are quieter. Did not make a video because I was alone and it would have been difficult but will make one first chance I get. AUW with the 2s is 1069g, without the li-po it is 834g. It flew for 11:30 mins on the 2s 4600mah before the li-po alarm sounded on 3.5 volts. The charger put back 3500mah, so it could easily go over 12 min.

Shame on eCalc for getting it SOOOOOOOOOOO WRONG!!!!!! According to eCalc my setup with a 2s li-po should hover at 90% throttle, but in fact I tried it in manual mode and it hovered between 50% and 55% throttle.

UPDATE 4

Today I had great luck with the weather. It started snowing, but I thought that I could snow proof the electronics and still make a flight or two. So while I was snow proofing the ESCs, the snowing stopped. So I headed out to do a vibration test with my on-board mini DV camera. This is what the camera looks like and how it was mounted to the frame a couple of days ago:

The vibrations were severe so I redid the mounting to the frame, you can see the results in the video below: (starting at 6:55 you can see a climb to a new record height for me)
Vibration testing my modified x600 frame /w DJI Naza (10 min 46 sec)

After this attempt, I knew I was close, just needed some more softening of the mounting and isolating the camera, and so I did:

First I put some self-adhesive velcro pieces on the frame, the little soft bit at the back is to soften the contact of the camera mount with the frame when I tighten the velcro strap.

Then I put another velcro on the bottom of the camera mount, put the camera on the frame, and strapped it with a velcro strap at the back.

This is with the camera mounted. I removed the camera casing to save weight and to help reduce vibrations. The camera sensor is mounted on two sponges, which I can assume is supposed to reduce vibrations, but the casing was pressing on the sensor and it got all the vibrations from the casing, so I removed it. I also wrapped the camera in bubble wrap, which is held in place with electric tape, but it is not tight. Then used another velcro strap to mount the camera to the mount. It should reduce vibrations even further. I did a motor start-up test indoor since it started to snow heavily outside and the results were promising.

I will test it outside when it stops snowing and when I have the time.

UPDATE 5

So I took another shot at reducing vibrations today. I came across some vibration dampeners from a Russian military plane, both weight just under 20 grams, so I though I'd give them a try. Problem is they need to be carrying at least 300g each to function properly. So I set out to make a battery mount and mount the camera to it. Its not pretty, but it almost got the job done.

The battery at the bottom is just for added weight, phone is on top (there was not enough space at the bottom). AUW is 1593g, battery is LRP 2s 4600mah. I am not sure what would be the air time at this weight, but I did fly it just before that at 1200g for about 5 mins, and then another 4 at 1593g and the alarm still didn't sound I just got very cold.

This is the on-board video, almost vibration free, will have tinker a bit more with this, but I still think the weight on the dampeners is not enough.
Quadcopter x600 frame /w DJI Naza (almost vibration free on-board video) (1 min 7 sec)

I am having quite the laugh right now because at 1593g AUW eCalc says: "* The Power is not sufficient to hover *". Hahahaha, take that eCalc.

UPDATE 6

Sooo, did some turning training today. Again on 2s 4600mah li-po I did 11 mins of flight, no just hovering. The charger put back 3546mah.

I am getting the hang of this.
Quadcopter /w DJI Naza (forward flight and turn training) (7 min 41 sec)

UPDATE 7

Yesterday I decided to do something about the vibrations from the aluminium booms, so I went to the hardware store and bought some 15mm x 15mm wood planks and cut them into 30cm pieces. Drilled all the necessary holes replaced the aluminium booms. The wood is really stiff and it worked great and it reduced vibrations significantly. The quad is a bit wider now but it handles much more smoothly and is more stable. New AUW is 1171g with a 2s li-po (on average does 10:30 mins per pack) and motor to motor diameter is 63.5cm.

Because the wood is thicker than the aluminium I had to use longer bolts but was too lazy to cut them down so I had to adapt them. They do hang quite a bit under the bottom plate but don't really get in the way. I had to add a nut to the motor bolts to make them the right length. I also used wider washers to give more support of the bolts in the wood. I also zip tied the landing gears to the booms, that way in the event of a crash the zip ties will snap and will take some of the crash force.

In the following video the results of the wood are obvious, with the aluminium booms there was so much vibration that the video was barely watchable, now with the camera hard mounted to the frame there is very little vibration.
On-board camera hard mounted to frame /w new wooden booms (0 min 53 sec)

In the following video I fly the Naza in Manual mode on a 2s 5000mah li-po. In Manual mode the Naza is rock solid even in strong wind, when I turn the ATTI mode it starts shaking and throttles up into the air. I flew it in ATTI for the first 20 secs or so, the rest on Manual. Handles really well but takes some getting used to.
Quadcopter /w DJI Naza (manual mode flight, new wooden booms) (7 min 59 sec)

UPDATE 8

So there is some development with the frame here. I was just about to order Rusty's UAP-1 frame when I got an idea to sit down and learn to work with SolidWorks and create my own frame that is tailor made to my specific needs (I have nothing against Rusty's frame, I actually like it a lot, but making the frame myself will be much cheaper and will be suited to my setup). And so I did, after 1 hour of playing with the program I had drawn my first top center plate, the rest of the plates for the frame followed shortly. I then bought some plexiglass (I am only hoping this is what it is called in English) and had the prototype plates laser cut. Since they didn't have any 3mm or 4mm think material in the warehouse I bought some 2mm with the intent to have every plate cut out twice and then to glue them together. The material for this is not crucial since this is only a prototype version to test and see what else needs to be added. I am glad I got the holes to match on the first attempt.

This version of the landing gears is not especially pretty but I just drew something quick that would work for testing purposes. I am mounting it with zip ties so that it will take the hit during a crash.

Also my new carbon reinforced props arrived. They are not as hard as APC, but are much harder than the old ones. Bending it that much take s a lot of effort.

Don't pay much attention to the camera, this one is mounted just for show. I will mount the actual camera that I will be using on the extension, I was waiting for some of Rusty's Universal Anti-Vibration Mounts to arrive in order to measure the holes and draw them on the final plates.

These plates are larger than the ones on the X600 frame so I could fit 2 batteries below. I have made openings for the velcro strips to go through and I have made a couple of openings for the second battery so that I can move it and adjust the balance of the frame.The rear extension will have the video Tx mounted on it. The receiver will be mounted below the frame on the opposite side from the video Tx.

I finally have a dome. I will use a larger one on the final version of the frame.

Here is one pic with both frames. The new one is 16.5cm from the ground making enough room for a camera mount or at least a hanging phone.

So a little later on I glued the plates (2 pieces of the top plate together, and 2 pieces of the bottom plate together) thus getting harder plates more suited for a test flight. I moved the ESCs and motors from my other frame, but because I was too lazy to move the Naza I left the HK board on the prototype frame. Since the FC mounting holes were designed for the Naza in X mode I had to mount the HK board in + mode. And so I did. I am also using the simple HK radio system.

Here is the test flight of the frame with the HK board in + mode. I am not happy how it handled in + mode. It was much more stable in X mode. In the video the frame doesn't have landing gears because I crashed two times before that and they all broke. The rest of the frame was OK (mounting the landing gear with zip ties to take the hit during a crash really does make a difference). It was really hard to control during flight and at the end of the video I did crash, again but broke only one prop.
Custom prototype frame /w HobbyKing v2.1 board + mode (outdoor short flight and crash) (2 min 29 sec)

After this struggle I decided to move the Naza and the Graupner Rx to the prototype frame.

I tested it today. It was a little shaky in ATTI mode even after adjusting gains, I am guessing that was coming from the fact that the plexiglass was still a bit bendy even at 4mm thickness, so I flew it mostly in manual mode. For the last flight I strapped my phone (Motorola Razr) to the battery using 2 zip ties. You can see the almost perfect on-board video below. There is a barely visible vertical vibration but it is so small that if you are not looking for it chances are you will not see it. I am very happy with the results, I am also using the new carbon reinforced props for this flight.
Prototype frame /w DJI Naza (on-board vibration free) (9 min 39 sec)

The final version of the frame is mostly ready. I will have it cut soon when I get a hold of some 3mm fiberglass.

UPDATE 9

Prototype frame /w DJI Naza (new personal altitude record) (4 min 33 sec)

UPDATE 10

A test flight with my new custom frame.
DJI Naza on custom frame /w T-Motor MT2216-11 (on-board video) (5 min 5 sec)
Arxangel is offline Find More Posts by Arxangel
Last edited by Arxangel; May 10, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
I only just now realized that this frame is actually x600, not x525. It was advertised as x525 when I bought it, but I guess it turned out good that it is x600 since after the modifications it is not x525 and still a good size.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Feb 2005
22 Posts
Thanks for the updates. I'm not commenting much but I do enjoy following what you're doing with this.
matefrio is offline Find More Posts by matefrio
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matefrio View Post
Thanks for the updates. I'm not commenting much but I do enjoy following what you're doing with this.
Thank you. I am glad to know that all this info I am sharing is useful to someone.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
Soooo, I couldn't try the quad out today because it was very windy, but I did have an interesting evening.

I thought the wind would dial down after sunset and it did, so I thought I will give the quad a try in the yard. I don't have any LEDs or anything else that might help me determine its orientation in the dark.

I flew it, it handled pretty well in the weak wind, but then something VERY interesting happened. As I was testing the aileron movements the quad shook like in my earlier videos with the Naza and as it increased power to stabilize it flied off into the darkness somewhere between the adjacent buildings. It went up to the 4th floor, I was able to barely make out its outline though had no idea what direction it was going in. I was able to see the blinking VU LED but when the quad turned I lost sight of it. All I could do was to move the right stick around trying to move it away from the building. At some point it flew fast in the other direction towards my building and I managed to stop it from hitting the windows on the 4th floor, it was like 10cm from them. Then I must have moved the throttle stick down because it descended at an angle very fast and crashed into a bush in a neighboring yard.

My friend said that his heart almost stopped when the quad disappeared in the darkness.

All that was broken were 3 props, and the cross-like motor mount on one of the motors was bent (that was quickly fixed with the hammer). I had it back up in the air in 10 mins.

I still cannot believe what happened and how it happened. The quad was out of sight for 15 secs, and I live in the city, 99% of the ground is concrete or asphalt and still I managed to get it away from all possible buildings and it crashed in a soft bush. I can't believe how lucky I was!!!!!!
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:46 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,456 Posts
This is not good man. Try to check it out what would cause this behavior of Naza.
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
I know why it is doing that. I still haven't dialed in the gains, so it is a bit nervous when there is wind.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
First outdoor flight is a fact. Took it out today, did some dialing in with my laptop and this is the most stable I have been able to get it. It was windy so it did feel a bit nervous when there were gusts. It will take some more tuning when it is calm.
Quadcopter x525 frame /w DJI Naza FC (first outdoor flight) (3 min 9 sec)

Here is the on-board video. There is some jello, BUT the camera is hard mounted to the frame, so with that in mind it does look quite good.
Quadcopter x525 frame /w DJI Naza FC (on-board video) (3 min 14 sec)
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
Today there was almost no wind, so I took Quady out to an open field. There was a light breeze there, but nothing too serious. Now before I start praising the Naza, I want to ask all the people who have a Naza and know configuring it to read below and help me get over a slight problem that I am having.

In video you will see a strange behavior from the Naza. As I slide it to the left, towards the breeze, at some point it would shake and throttle up like crazy for about 30 meters until I drop the throttle and take it down. Sometimes it does that pretty violently, the last two times it happened were almost together, I still hadn't taken it down from the first shoot up, when it did it again and it went up even higher to the point where it became not bigger than a coin from where I was standing. From the on-board camera I can tell that it rose as high as an 8 story building. You can see what I am talking about in the video below at: 0:10 mins, 0:35 mins, 1:25 mins, 2:58 mins, 6:55 mins and 7:18 mins.

I noticed that this only happened when I gave it more slide, if I move it very gently against the wind it doesn't do it, only when I try to move quickly against the wind. When I came back home I noticed that there was absolutely no wind in the yard so I flew the quad here. It didn't even need any trim, it was rock solid, I throttled it up and down, slide left and right, absolutely no shaking or throttling up on its own. It was really stable.

If anyone has any idea how I may be able to overcome this, or if it is even possible to overcome it, I would very much appreciate any advice.

Now to get back to the good stuff. The controller is amazing, when there was no breeze it was rock solid. The on-board video still has jello, but I have yet to address this issue. Overall, I am really happy with how it performs in calmer weather and I can definitely see why it costs as much. I played a little with the manual mode, it is quite different than the ATTI mode, more like the HK controller, but not as aggressive. It is interesting that in Manual it hovers between 40% and 45% throttle.

A friend of mine was there with his HoverFly Pro Hexa, that thing didn't care there was wind, it stayed bolted in one place, really stable, no shaking, I can see why it costs twice as much as the Naza, and that board will be the heart of my future octo build.

Quadcopter /w DJI Naza (modified x600 frame, outdoor testing and weird throttling) (9 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Arxangel; Mar 05, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
I took the time today to modify the landing gear so that it doesn't get caught on roots and grass and also to increase the height of the quad from the ground.

This is what I did, and I am very happy with it, it is actually sturdier now than it was before and it is higher.

I also tested the quad with a 2s 4600mah li-po. It handled amazingly, it is noticeably lighter, you can hear that the motors are quieter. Did not make a video because I was alone and it would have been difficult but will make one first chance I get. AUW with the 2s is 1069g, without the li-po it is 834g. It flew for 11:30 mins on the 2s 4600mah before the li-po alarm sounded on 3.5 volts. The charger put back 3500mah, so it could easily go over 12 min.

Shame on eCalc for getting it SOOOOOOOOOOO WRONG!!!!!! According to eCalc my setup with a 2s li-po should hover at 90% throttle, but in fact I tried it in manual mode and it hovered between 50% and 55% throttle.
Last edited by Arxangel; Mar 06, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
Today I had great luck with the weather. It started snowing, but I thought that I could snow proof the electronics and still make a flight or two. So while I was snow proofing the ESCs, the snowing stopped. So I headed out to do a vibration test with my on-board mini DV camera. This is what the camera looks like and how it was mounted to the frame a couple of days ago:

The vibrations were severe so I redid the mounting to the frame, you can see the results in the video below: (starting at 6:55 you can see a climb to a new record height for me)
Vibration testing my modified x600 frame /w DJI Naza (10 min 46 sec)

After this attempt, I knew I was close, just needed some more softening of the mounting and isolating the camera, and so I did:

First I put some self-adhesive velcro pieces on the frame, the little soft bit at the back is to soften the contact of the camera mount with the frame when I tighten the velcro strap.

Then I put another velcro on the bottom of the camera mount, put the camera on the frame, and strapped it with a velcro strap at the back.

This is with the camera mounted. I removed the camera casing to save weight and to help reduce vibrations. The camera sensor is mounted on two sponges, which I can assume is supposed to reduce vibrations, but the casing was pressing on the sensor and it got all the vibrations from the casing, so I removed it. I also wrapped the camera in bubble wrap, which is held in place with electric tape, but it is not tight. Then used another velcro strap to mount the camera to the mount. It should reduce vibrations even further. I did a motor start-up test indoor since it started to snow heavily outside and the results were promising.

I will test it outside when it stops snowing and when I have the time.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
So I took another shot at reducing vibrations today. I came across some vibration dampeners from a Russian military plane, both weight just under 20 grams, so I though I'd give them a try. Problem is they need to be carrying at least 300g each to function properly. So I set out to make a battery mount and mount the camera to it. Its not pretty, but it almost got the job done.

The battery at the bottom is just for added weight, phone is on top (there was not enough space at the bottom). AUW is 1593g, battery is LRP 2s 4600mah. I am not sure what would be the air time at this weight, but I did fly it just before that at 1200g for about 5 mins, and then another 4 at 1593g and the alarm still didn't sound I just got very cold.

This is the on-board video, almost vibration free, will have tinker a bit more with this, but I still think the weight on the dampeners is not enough.
Quadcopter x600 frame /w DJI Naza (almost vibration free on-board video) (1 min 7 sec)

I am having quite the laugh right now because at 1593g AUW eCalc says: "* The Power is not sufficient to hover *". Hahahaha, take that eCalc.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
Sooo, did some turning training today. Again on 2s 4600mah li-po I did 11 mins of flight, no just hovering. The charger put back 3546mah.

I am getting the hang of this.
Quadcopter /w DJI Naza (forward flight and turn training) (7 min 41 sec)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
Yesterday I decided to do something about the vibrations from the aluminium booms, so I went to the hardware store and bought some 15mm x 15mm wood planks and cut them into 30cm pieces. Drilled all the necessary holes replaced the aluminium booms. The wood is really stiff and it worked great and it reduced vibrations significantly. The quad is a bit wider now but it handles much more smoothly and is more stable. New AUW is 1171g with a 2s li-po (on average does 10:30 mins per pack) and motor to motor diameter is 63.5cm.

Because the wood is thicker than the aluminium I had to use longer bolts but was too lazy to cut them down so I had to adapt them. They do hang quite a bit under the bottom plate but don't really get in the way. I had to add a nut to the motor bolts to make them the right length. I also used wider washers to give more support of the bolts in the wood. I also zip tied the landing gears to the booms, that way in the event of a crash the zip ties will snap and will take some of the crash force.

In the following video the results of the wood are obvious, with the aluminium booms there was so much vibration that the video was barely watchable, now with the camera hard mounted to the frame there is very little vibration.
On-board camera hard mounted to frame /w new wooden booms (0 min 53 sec)

In the following video I fly the Naza in Manual mode on a 2s 5000mah li-po. In Manual mode the Naza is rock solid even in strong wind, when I turn the ATTI mode it starts shaking and throttles up into the air. I flew it in ATTI for the first 20 secs or so, the rest on Manual. Handles really well but takes some getting used to.
Quadcopter /w DJI Naza (manual mode flight, new wooden booms) (7 min 59 sec)
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,655 Posts
So there is some development with the frame here. I was just about to order Rusty's UAP-1 frame when I got an idea to sit down and learn to work with SolidWorks and create my own frame that is tailor made to my specific needs (I have nothing against Rusty's frame, I actually like it a lot, but making the frame myself will be much cheaper and will be suited to my setup). And so I did, after 1 hour of playing with the program I had drawn my first top center plate, the rest of the plates for the frame followed shortly. I then bought some plexiglass (I am only hoping this is what it is called in English) and had the prototype plates laser cut. Since they didn't have any 3mm or 4mm think material in the warehouse I bought some 2mm with the intent to have every plate cut out twice and then to glue them together. The material for this is not crucial since this is only a prototype version to test and see what else needs to be added. I am glad I got the holes to match on the first attempt.

This version of the landing gears is not especially pretty but I just drew something quick that would work for testing purposes. I am mounting it with zip ties so that it will take the hit during a crash.

Also my new carbon reinforced props arrived. They are not as hard as APC, but are much harder than the old ones. Bending it that much take s a lot of effort.

Don't pay much attention to the camera, this one is mounted just for show. I will mount the actual camera that I will be using on the extension, I was waiting for some of Rusty's Universal Anti-Vibration Mounts to arrive in order to measure the holes and draw them on the final plates.

These plates are larger than the ones on the X600 frame so I could fit 2 batteries below. I have made openings for the velcro strips to go through and I have made a couple of openings for the second battery so that I can move it and adjust the balance of the frame.The rear extension will have the video Tx mounted on it. The receiver will be mounted below the frame on the opposite side from the video Tx.

I finally have a dome. I will use a larger one on the final version of the frame.

Here is one pic with both frames. The new one is 16.5cm from the ground making enough room for a camera mount or at least a hanging phone.

So a little later on I glued the plates (2 pieces of the top plate together, and 2 pieces of the bottom plate together) thus getting harder plates more suited for a test flight. I moved the ESCs and motors from my other frame, but because I was too lazy to move the Naza I left the HK board on the prototype frame. Since the FC mounting holes were designed for the Naza in X mode I had to mount the HK board in + mode. And so I did. I am also using the simple HK radio system.

Here is the test flight of the frame with the HK board in + mode. I am not happy how it handled in + mode. It was much more stable in X mode. In the video the frame doesn't have landing gears because I crashed two times before that and they all broke. The rest of the frame was OK (mounting the landing gear with zip ties to take the hit during a crash really does make a difference). It was really hard to control during flight and at the end of the video I did crash, again but broke only one prop.
Custom prototype frame /w HobbyKing v2.1 board + mode (outdoor short flight and crash) (2 min 29 sec)

After this struggle I decided to move the Naza and the Graupner Rx to the prototype frame.

I tested it today. It was a little shaky in ATTI mode even after adjusting gains, I am guessing that was coming from the fact that the plexiglass was still a bit bendy even at 4mm thickness, so I flew it mostly in manual mode. For the last flight I strapped my phone (Motorola Razr) to the battery using 2 zip ties. You can see the almost perfect on-board video below. There is a barely visible vertical vibration but it is so small that if you are not looking for it chances are you will not see it. I am very happy with the results, I am also using the new carbon reinforced props for this flight.
Prototype frame /w DJI Naza (on-board vibration free) (9 min 39 sec)

The final version of the frame is mostly ready. I will have it cut soon when I get a hold of some 3mm fiberglass.