SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:57 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Discussion
NY Pension fund borrows from itself to pay itself

The irrational tomfoolery of keynesian thinking reaches it's apex in this wonderful example.....cities borrowing from the pension funds to pay them.

Your wise rulers have good intentions, but that's not good enough in the real world as it actually is.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:27 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
What happens when the money well runs dry? That will be where the fun begins.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:41 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
Obviously nothing, it ran dry years ago and everything is just fine. It is fine right? I mean can't we keep borrowing forever?
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:41 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
me thinks that well already ran dry ,this is regurgitation..I wonder how many times they can get by with that before something starts smelling?
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:54 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
me thinks that well already ran dry ,this is regurgitation..I wonder how many times they can get by with that before something starts smelling?
Something already has started smelling.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,167 Posts
The original article is not available unless one subscribes to the New York Times.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:22 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,276 Posts
Google is your friend, Jim

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/ny...-it-first.html

Quote:
ALBANY — When New York State officials agreed to allow local governments to use an unusual borrowing plan to put off a portion of their pension obligations, fiscal watchdogs scoffed at the arrangement, calling it irresponsible and unwise.
If the link asks for a login, just Google and follow the proper link. Works only once.

http://www.google.com/search?q=genev...w=1090&bih=530
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:44 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
when the public money is all gone, they'll find a way to confescate private pension funds to keep the public ones afloat.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Aug 2011
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
when the public money is all gone, they'll find a way to confescate private pension funds to keep the public ones afloat.
Hell yea! Spread the wealth baby!!!
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:22 AM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Hell yea! Spread the wealth baby!!!
Nice of them to spread the wealth to their friends and spread poverty to the people that made said money...
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCWorks; Mar 04, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,167 Posts
If I read my pension plan figure right, last year there was a payout of $1.6 billion. There was a little over a billion income from employees and state contribution, and $2.9 billion in investment income. An unusually good year for investment, 23.8% return. Total investment fund is $14.3 billion. New employee contributions are going to go up from 8% to maybe 17.5% over time. Pension plans are supposed to make money to provide pensions which total more than initial investment. I presume this is happening here, with payouts being more than non investment income. Investment income has average better than 8% over the last 20 years. So one could think of the plan borrowing from itself to pay current pensions
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
it is already dry

all they do now is play numbers games to make it look like money exists

this is all the fault of leftists
fdawg is offline Find More Posts by fdawg
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,167 Posts
Here is an interesting read about public pension fund investments. It is my impression that pension funds are the largest class of investors in the market, but I could be wrong. The figure of 8% return is mentioned several places. That will double your money in nine years.

http://www.stateline.org/live/detail...ntentId=509250
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Sep 2010
147 Posts
Jim,

That article is from 2010.

2011 was the worst year ever recorded for home sales. The stock market is up, for now. It usually rises in an election year, regardless of who is running for the presidency,. 2008 was an exception due to the market collapse.

The big question with pension funds is how they will work after the US debt collapses. This is not a Democrat/Republican party is responsilbe issue either. It is GOING to happen. It is unlikely that the US will defecit spend less than a trillion a year for the remainder of it's sovereignty, regardless of who is in power, since the majority of Americans are very comfortable living in debt and spending beyound their means. Even running only one trillion dollar a year defecits the interest on the debt will be unservicable in less than 10 years.

Inflation, will most likely, make all pensions worthless at that time.
Gooroo is online now Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,167 Posts
My figures on my pension fund were for last year. The questions you raise are not just about pension funds, but about concerns for all investors. I think your comment about Americans living in debt, and therefore being comfortable with the country being in debt are quite correct. However, I think I read or heard somewhere that the amount of private debt has gone down over the last couple of years. So maybe we are getting our heads out. Personally, I have no debt, and have not had any for maybe ten years or more.