HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:13 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
And the beer bottles (empty I presume) help hold the airframe steady and level while you checked the incidence? Seems that if you drank all that beer first, you would also need help remaining steady and level too. Guess it works backwards on airplanes. Now I know what I have been doing wrong all these years. where is my beer anyway?

Sorry, couldn't resist! LOL.

Both planes look great, and the repairs came out good. Seems the larger 52" version would come out with a lighter overall wing loading. Since larger usually fly's better it must be confusing. Still hoping the bugs will iron out completely sooner than later. Thanks as usual for sharing.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:34 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
And the beer bottles (empty I presume) help hold the airframe steady and level while you checked the incidence? Seems that if you drank all that beer first, you would also need help remaining steady and level too. Guess it works backwards on airplanes. Now I know what I have been doing wrong all these years. where is my beer anyway?

Sorry, couldn't resist! LOL.
LOL! Luckily we had a BBQ and there were a few leftover beers!!! I will be sure to save one for you - or drink one for you next time! ...It was a true scratchbuilder's moment... I was searching the house far and wide for something that I could use to prop the plane up. I tried books, scrap pieces of wood, drinking glasses, paint cans -- nothing worked! Everything was either too short, too wide, or not of uniform height. Opened the fridge - thinking salad dressing bottles might work (the wife would have loved that!)... and behold! -- beer bottles! They were perfect! - Tall enough, uniform height, and thin neck to work around the fuse curves. So... beer (bottles) have now become legitimate scratch building tools - perfect for proping up planes and checking wing incidences!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
...Both planes look great, and the repairs came out good. Seems the larger 52" version would come out with a lighter overall wing loading. Since larger usually fly's better it must be confusing. Still hoping the bugs will iron out completely sooner than later. Thanks as usual for sharing. ...
Thanks! I would have thought the same about the wingloading too, but the 52" version has a lot of "extras":
- it is made of thicker foam (6mm vs. 5mm for the 40").
- doubled up on the horizontal stab.
- each flap and aileron has it's own 9g servo
- the entire bottom of the model is coated with coffee filters and clear polycylic (I think this added a lot of weight -- but she is waterproof). Then paint on top of that!
- clear packing tape on the ground "sliding"/contact areas

The 52" version has a wingloading of about 18.8oz/cuft w/2200mah 3S lipo and it jumps up to about 19.58oz/cuft w/2650mah 3S lipo.

The 40" version hasa wingloading of about 13.7oz/cuft w/1300mah 3Slipo

I think I've just been spoiled with forgiving planes with light wingloadings. The 52" bird, I must say, feels like I am actually "flying" the plane. I need to respect the airframe and keep it within its intended flight envelope. When I do that, she performs beautifully! I get into trouble when I'm too aggressive with a turn or elevator input,or slow her down too much...but I am learning!

Interestingly enough, the parkzone Icon model of the same size is actually HEAVIER than mine -- it is listed at 43.4oz. with 2200lipo and a less powerful (960KV) motor.

Mine is 41.6oz with a 1050KV Monsterpower 10 motor and a 2650mah lipo and flaps. In reading the parkzone threads, it seems as if mine is not doing anything out of the ordinary for this airframe...Perhaps I could put in a smaller motor and see what happens (my old PZ gunfighter 960KV motor!)
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Last edited by SNice; Jul 20, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:13 PM
Deutschland, HE, Schlangenbad
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Hi snice, glad to hear things getting forward! Hope to build your 52" Version soon
SebastianG. is offline Find More Posts by SebastianG.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
A little off topic

Last weekend was my B-Day, and my wonderful girlfriend knew exactly what to get for me, or make in this case (the rack not the planes):

She not only bought the parts for me, but also helped me cut and assemble them

The lowest spot is where the A5 Icon sits, but it is currently in the process of getting its final sanding before painting, so it was missing from the picture.
catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:06 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,714 Posts
Very clever girlfriend you have there catspider

Is that a Seawind I see up top?

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest Builds
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Very clever girlfriend you have there catspider

Is that a Seawind I see up top?

Lockey
It most certainly is a seawind. Runs on the UM SU-26 gear, and flies well. Not too happy with the aileron response though so i'm going to rebuild the wing and add another micro servo so i can program each aileron separately.

The full build log is in my blog area:
UM Seawind build

Right now i've got my hands full finishing the A5. It flies great, so now i just have to make it look the part as well - I've filled in the bigger imperfections between joints and sanded them once; another round and its getting painted.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Been a long build but getting there

Its almost ready, half the decals and polyurethane left before i can call it a done project... maybe a gyro as well on rudder, just to help with keeping the plane true in side gusts..

Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:39 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Water Maiden & 52" plan!!!

Great looking build, catspider! So clean! I really like the wing bolt mod! I may have to try that -- might be a little more durable than the rubber bands in high G maneuvers... I had some funny behavior on the 52" the other day after coming out of a dive! Can't wait to see her in the air!

Finally got the 52" on water!!! Video is posted below! I have provided a link to the 52" plan. Thanks to all who have been waiting so patiently!

Link to 52" Plans Here (for 6mm foam - MPF, FFF, DEPRON): SNice Icon A5 52" PLANS

SNice Icon A5 R/C Scratchbuild - 52" Water Maiden (9 min 13 sec)
Last edited by SNice; Aug 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:50 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,714 Posts
Great vid SNice, thanks for sharing, looks like you have it nailed at last .. good on yea mate

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest Builds
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:34 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,816 Posts
SNice:

Beautifull aircraft, flying and scenery...

Thanks for the video and plan;

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Ok so i haven't had a chance to really post a video of the finished icon, but here it is finally:

Icon A5 (2 min 22 sec)

I wasn't flying the plane in this vid, as I was recording. The plane flies great, and after a burnt esc and an aileron wire coming loose in a wing on me, its got all the bugs worked out. I have also added a HK 3 axis controller to the plane (the vid is taken in rather gusty wind, but the plane is true and steady) and i like it a lot.

I was originally flying on a 7x6E GWS prop, but i have switched to a 7x4 sport prop and like it better. The only issue bothering me now is the lack of ventilation, so the esc comes out a bit hot. Will have to either heat sink it or find another way to help it vent heat.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:50 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Congrats, catspider!!!! Looks great in the air! Looks like that gyro really smooths her out! Looked like she was cutting right through the wind and I didn't see any any evidence of that pesky tail wag.

I agree with you on the ventilation thing -- my esc's are larger than I need on both of my models so they don't come down too hot. I was afraid to cut holes or vents into the fuse because I knew she'd eventually go for a swim (and she has). I also thought of mounting the ESC buried into the top of the wing (under the motor pod area or attached to the motor post.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Snice whats next on your project list
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,108 Posts
I would think thats been answered http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733876
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:02 AM
Украина, Киев, Киев
Joined Jan 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post

Thanks! I would have thought the same about the wingloading too, but the 52" version has a lot of "extras":
- it is made of thicker foam (6mm vs. 5mm for the 40").
Hi! I want to ask - what thickness Depron On a wing?
Alex1754 is offline Find More Posts by Alex1754