HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2012, 07:00 AM
Deutschland, HE, Schlangenbad
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
�� @ snice : the flight was on full throttle! No floater at all. I used a Microjet V3 from graysonhobby and a 6x4 prop. Maybe i need to change the motor if the 3s Lipo doesn't work.
To get a good finish of the wing i covered it with a glue Mix and newspaper, this i will use to cover the bottem to get ist waterproofed.

Thanks
SebastianG. is offline Find More Posts by SebastianG.
Last edited by SebastianG.; May 19, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 09:12 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,383 Posts
Interesting SNice, be careful not to move the C of G oo far back as this can be worse than too far forward .. be interested to hear how it goes

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; May 20, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Well I've started on my 40" as well. The um was too underpowered. Its all in my blog, and lots of photos.

my 40" A5 by Snice
catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:56 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,383 Posts
Nice looking build catspider, keep the pics coming

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Important Question

I am about to connect my servos up to the tail, and I have a question which I do not recall an answer being posted.

What are the throws on the tail surfaces for the 40" icon? At least which ones worked best for you from a control/stability point of view?
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:02 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspider View Post
I am about to connect my servos up to the tail, and I have a question which I do not recall an answer being posted.

What are the throws on the tail surfaces for the 40" icon? At least which ones worked best for you from a control/stability point of view?
Great progress, Catspider!!! Looking great! You are more than welcome to post pics on this thread as well if you would like! I can send you the templates for the cleaner airfoiled wing if you like - I'll just have to shrink them down to the 40" size & you may have to make some adjustments for your foam thickness.

On the 40", I have my control throws pretty aggressive. They are as follows:

Ailerons: offset about 0.175" up on each side. Travel: 0.35" up/down
Flaps: Upper surface deflects down 1". ( would prefer 3-stage flaps)
Rudder: 1" Left/right from center. It is nice to have lots of rudder throw for water and ground handling.
Elevator: .75" up/down. Flies well with very little elevator movement.

I intended to go back and add expo to the rudder and elevator but I never did... I was pretty happy with how it flew without it. This is the setup I have in all of the 40" videos. Like I said, I've been pretty aggressive with this model -- loops, rolls, inverted, knife edge attempts, hover attempts, snap rolls which almost ended in disaster.

52" Update: The SAGA continues!
Wing cuffs have been added and I have not had any tip stall issues since. I think I finally figured out the wing incidence issue -- here is what I did to solve it -- this should also work for the 40" should anyone else have a similar problem:

The flat bottom part of the wing, the horiz. stab, and the main fuse base all need to be parallel to each other. I accomplished this by flipping the model over and putting levelers on the flat part of the wing, the horiz. stab, and the fuse base. The fuse and stab were already in line so I adjusted the angle of the wing until the bottom was parallel as well. My motor is now pointing straight back with no offset and she lifts off as I would expect - no more nasty downward pitching and porpoising before takeoff.

I have moved the CG back quite a bit as well -- I am a bit puzzled as to why the 40 & 52" versions have such different cg positions. Is it the difference in wing design?

I have also changed the prop. The prop I was using - a parkzone T-28 prop (9.5x7.5) was very noisy and thin. It sounded as if it was just flattening out and beating the air at higher throttle settings. I have now switched to an APC 10x7 -- I have not flown on this prop yet, but it sounds soooo much better and there is wayyyy more thrust. From the watt meter @ WOT: 300W, 28A.

I am now rebuilding the nose from the tragic crash a while back, then hopefully I will be able to get her out over water...
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Thank you for the throws, i will hopefully setup the rudder and elevator tonight. The top wing patterns i figure i'll just use the bottom for now and extend it a bit when i cut it so i can fold it over - should be ok.

I cant wait to have this plane flying, but have had limited time to work on it lately, and on top of it all i'm also converting my 2m Fling to electric launch.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Sadly my Icon crashed!
Suddently no control at all!

Im not sure if i will rebuild her or just wait until snice will post the 50 " plan.

Icon A5 Crash (2 min 17 sec)
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:24 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,383 Posts
Sorry about your crash sabastian, looked like it flew real well too, was it badly damaged? didn't look like it went in TOO hard

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
The nose is badly squeezed and in the middle of the wing is a crack.
Tape and glue will hopefully fix it.

Until now, ive no idea what caused the failure.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
So the tail is functional

I have finally connected the elevator and rudder:

Now to skin the plane
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Adding the top skin on

I had a chance to add the top skin on.

I thought i'd show a small change made to the original plan:

I wasn't happy with the shape of box under the wing. The shape was still.. well too boxy, so i cut the rear bulkheads to about 2/3 of their original size. Now as you can see in the picture above, the part under the wing has a much nicer flowing curve, closer to the actual plane.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Finally i got her back into the air and the water!
That was my first takeoff from water and of course landing.

Icon5A Water Takeoff (2 min 22 sec)

Snice Thanks for the plans!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
And another A5 is almost ready

I have been slowly working on my icon, and its nearing completion.

Currently it looks more or less like so:

On my blog i have more images of the wing hold-down system, aileron servo installation and motor mount.

Tonight i will mount up the motor speed control and receiver. Flight test comming soon

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1657228
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Wow! Looks great, catspider!!! Absolutely gorgeous build so far! I really like the wing attachment method -- I'm also eager to see if the streamlining you did to the rear part of the fuse cabin will get more air to the prop. Keep us posted on your progress!!!

I finally had a successful water takeoff and landing on the 52" version (after digging a wingtip a few times). I always try and slow down too much! The funny thing is that I prefer cruising around with the flaps down. The flaps really seem to stabilize the model and allow it to slow down. With the flaps up, you really need to keep your eye on her - this bird is not a "lazy" flyer. I've also found that too much elevator input can put her into a stall -- so I have reduced my elevator throws considerably - still trying to lock them in. For some reason, the smaller model (40" version) seems much more forgiving to me in the air. I'm thinking it must be due to the lighter wingloading on the smaller model. I may try and install a lighter motor in the 52" version to see if I can reduce the wingloading a bit.

Here's how I finally tackled the wing incidence issue... I used levels to get a starting point. The flat section ofthe fuse, the H. STAB, and the flat bottom portion of the wing should all be level. From there, you can raise the leading edge according to your desire. (I raised mine about 2deg).

...will post videos of the water flights soon!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice