Joined Oct 2008
81 Posts
This is really beautiful! Great work!
23t23dS is offline Find More Posts by 23t23dS
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
328 Posts
Very nice plane Snice. I'm sending you a little motivation to finish the 52" plans. Check your PayPal in a few minutes.
XDmToter is offline Find More Posts by XDmToter
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Wow, just found this. Feeling stupid when I don't find all these great designs and builds until late in the game. I need to quit posting and start more surfing! Very nice and your finish and detailing is just awesome! I now have a zillion subscriptions but few are as worthy as this! I'll be watching every post!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old May 02, 2012, 05:31 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
sweet man me liky ..

gonna have to try one ..
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old May 02, 2012, 07:02 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
Thanks, guys! Prime_8 - good to see you, my friend!

Works been busy so my progress has slowed a bit. I finally have gotten all the parts built (including the new wing design). All parts have been primed for paint (Freddie B's mix). I'm coming up with a trim scheme - something "sporty" - a remix of the original.

The new wing has turned out better than I could have imagined - thank you, Lockey for your help. The wing is now fold over style - giving me a very nice leading edge. I did the bend by scoring the back and putting packing tape over the outside of the fold. Once I got the fold completed, I got daring and decided to remove the packing tape.... it worked out great!

I also am now going to set the servos into the wing - 2 9g for ailerons and 2 5g for flaps. I hated cuting into the wing, but it will make thinks so much simpler. It also allows for more creative mixing. The flex pushrod system I was going to use for the ailerons had too much friction due to a small curve radius.

As for the 52" plans, I have them layed out and am adding the text and details. I think I will also redo the 40" plan with the new wing design.

Here's a few pics of the new wing:
SNice is online now Find More Posts by SNice
Old May 02, 2012, 08:54 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Very nice wing indeed. That should develop tons of lift, then another ton when you deploy the flaps. Great work, an so pretty too!

Fred
Old May 02, 2012, 09:08 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Very nice wing indeed. That should develop tons of lift, then another ton when you deploy the flaps. Great work, an so pretty too!

Fred
Thanks, Freddie B! Yes, it does produce a lot of lift! The airfoil profile is roughly a flat bottomed Clark Y. I'm ashamed to say how many times I've been out in the back yard spinning around while holding the tip... all it wants to do is rise! The neighbors must think I'm crazy!
Old May 02, 2012, 09:30 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Thanks, Freddie B! Yes, it does produce a lot of lift! The airfoil profile is roughly a flat bottomed Clark Y. I'm ashamed to say how many times I've been out in the back yard spinning around while holding the tip... all it wants to do is rise! The neighbors must think I'm crazy!
I have been doing that very same thing for 45 years. I call it the man den wind tunnel test. Only I don't make airplane noise like you do while spinning. .
Best way to test a wing IMO. If it keeps the neighbors guessing, or just keeps them away, more power to it. Won't be missing any 'borrowed' tools anymore.

Fred
Old May 02, 2012, 10:10 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,052 Posts
SNice …. B… NICE work my friend

You have done a fantastic job there mate, look forward to seeing the finished job .... keep spinning!

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Super Chipmunk Convertion
Old May 03, 2012, 01:18 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,654 Posts
SNice:

Another beauty build in process... I enjoyed seeing your wheel barrow and black planter on the table.Looks like you are ready for a "little" gardening.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old May 03, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
Hello fans of I-con5,
Greetings from Bulgaria for the nice theme and good job
Do you have type fail to DWG I-con 5
Тhanks in advance

Best Reagards
Georgi
goro64 is offline Find More Posts by goro64
Old May 03, 2012, 03:23 AM
Deutschland, HE, Schlangenbad
Joined Sep 2010
62 Posts
So cool, i just started to cut out all the parts but now i will wait with the wing until you post the wing
SebastianG. is offline Find More Posts by SebastianG.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Very nice wing Snice. I've been been working ever so slowly on my micro icon, have the bottom skin glued on, but now i have to install the electronics and well thats going slowly since i have to do some soldering on small parts .

Love the new wing. Its exactly what i was thinking of doing for the full size icon. Even have little 6 gram servos lined up for the ailerons

Keep up the innovation, your a5 plans are the best out there yet.
catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Old May 03, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
328 Posts
What do you guys think about using 90 bellcranks (du-bro 851) for the ailerons? Does anyone here have experience with these?
XDmToter is offline Find More Posts by XDmToter
Old May 11, 2012, 06:01 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmToter View Post
What do you guys think about using 90 bellcranks (du-bro 851) for the ailerons? Does anyone here have experience with these?
I think the bellcranks would work just fine I was trying to come up with a similar system to do the ailerons and elevator linkage but It would have required a lot of extra little pieces.