HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,057 Posts
I contacted Model Plane Foam Inc to see if they would send it to Australia and they came back to me and said that they would not be able to at this time but maybe in the future

We can't get the $ tree foam here either, I am just about to order some Cellfoam and give that a try ... http://www.solartex.com.au/Ceiling-i...p?ProductID=23

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig-15
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:47 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,917 Posts
Lockey someone there needs to get some foam from these guys in Malaysia

http://www.thp.com.my/html/home.html
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:23 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,057 Posts
Quote:
Lockey someone there needs to get some foam from these guys in Malaysia

http://www.thp.com.my/html/home.html

Thanks Wilfor for the link, I have written to them to see if they will supply me with some samples first and then take it from there

Has anyone used or seen this product?

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig-15
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:41 PM
Medicinal Foam User
Joined Jan 2010
3,917 Posts
Got the Link from This thread

Slebetman uses it
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Well my elusive 6mm foam still hasn't arrived so i thought why not start on a UM A5, with a set of modified SNice plans:

I"ll keep the progress updates going on my blog, as not to hijack this thread

The internal structure is all 3mm,and the skin will be 1mm. All built around the AR6400's size and capabilities. Fuse length about 14". Planned prop is the Corsair 3 blader.
catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspider View Post
Well my elusive 6mm foam still hasn't arrived so i thought why not start on a UM A5, with a set of modified SNice plans:

I"ll keep the progress updates going on my blog, as not to hijack this thread

The internal structure is all 3mm,and the skin will be 1mm. All built around the AR6400's size and capabilities. Fuse length about 14". Planned prop is the Corsair 3 blader.
Awesome Catspider!!!! I was thinking that those pins looked huge until I saw that u are building a micro!!! You are not jacking the thread at all! Please feel free to post you progress on here as you wish. The more the merrier. Either way, I'll be following. Looks great so far!

Will you be adding flaps? Looking forward to your progress!
Also let me know if there are/were any issues with the plans as they are still under development.

Sorry about your 6mm foam, but very glad that u are building a micro! Think we have all sizes covered now!

I'm thinking of looking into 3 bladed props too but need to read up on them in regards to efficiency, amp draw, and thrust performance when compared to 2 blades at the same diameter. Anyone have any words of wisdom on this?

Just so any other builders know, the forward part of the fuse base piece is oversized. In other words, when you install the fuse formers, there will be a "lip" along the front edge. This was done intentionally so that after the top and bottom skins have been applied (which is not always an exact process), the lip can be trimmed and sanded to the contour of the skins.
SNice is online now Find More Posts by SNice
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Well no flaps, kind of...

Micros need the control surfaces exagerated a bit, so i enlarged the rudder, which in my UM seawind is almost non effective until 50% deflection. The other downside of large deflection is drag, which when on a power budget is not a good thing.

For the a5 i basically joined the ailerons and flaps, and will be using them as flapperons if anything. I want the small deflection in the control surfaces to minimize drag when turning.

For the micro at least the heavy former structure top side seemed way overbuilt, and cuts heavily into the cargo space. So i stripped away most of the inner formers. Once joined together + skin added the plane will be solid, it already feels very strong and its not even fully cured yet.

My suggestion would be to, turn the formers on the top side of the plane into ribs, and have the little alignment tabs on the outer edges of the parts, so that construction is still easy. That way the plane has a nice empty internal structure, and you still have the full support for the skin. Once laminated with glue they will be solid, and you have much more space inside to work with ( I like space ).

In the case of the little guy i will carve out more foam from the formers once they are fully cured, in order to lighten the plane and give myself myself more room to balance it later on.

As a side note, for the larger icon i will include an elevator gyro in the plane, possibly a roll gyro as well. Personally i love gyros, and now that you can get them for about 10$ from HK there is no reason not to use them. Landings and takeoffs in these smaller planes look amazing when gyro stabilized - especially in windy conditions. And i like to fly, so i generally dont let wind stop me .
catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
Yes, the fuse is built like a tank! Even more so with 6mm skin and coffee filters on the bottom! I thought about going back and adding lightening holes - but I was happy with my my final wingloading on the 40"( aroung 14oz/sqft) so I never went back and cut out anything extra. I always feel as If I will be fine weight wise as long as I come in under similarly sized ARF models.
I was also worried about the water as this is my first seaplane so I did not know what to expect. ...So I kind of built her like the Titanic - with sealed compartments throughout the hull. . None of my electronics have been waterproofed so my solution was to have that center compartment as watertight as possible.

But yes, the internal structure can definitely be lightened!

Unfortunately, I don't let the wind stop me either... can't tell you how many times I've had a plane up, fighting wind, and trying to figure out how to get her back in one piece -- I may have to look into gyros too!!!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:16 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,759 Posts
Plans! Need Plans !
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
Plans! Need Plans !
Check first post! There is a link to the V1 plans for the 40"!

The 52" plans are in the works... (not much different from the 40")

I will be changing the wing construction for a cleaner and better airfoil.

Catspider's Micro UM version is featured on his blog.
Last edited by SNice; Apr 20, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,759 Posts
ill wait for the 52incher
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,057 Posts
Hi SNice, how is the 52” wing coming along? Are you going to do it in 2 or 4 pieces?

Here is my half wing for the 1400mm Seawind ( about 55 inches) I will be using flaps on this one and am looking at rolling the nacelle instead of laminating and sanding
(tried it with the smaller one but it wasn’t really a success, maybe will work better on the bigger one) I am hoping to get some of the foam from http://www.solartex.com.au/Ceiling-i...&CategoryID=13, this is a little thinner (5mm against 6mm) and hopefully a little more malleable

Might even look at doing a airfoil horizontal stab on the big one as it will be about 500mm x 150mm (including the elevator) ... (almost the size of half the wing on the smaller one) what do you think? Will it make any difference?

Cheers

Lockey

PS. Contacted … http://www.thp.com.my/html/home.html and they came back to me and asked did I want a 20ft container @shipping cost of $750 or a 40 ft container @ shipping costs of $1500, then they can work out the cost of the foam shets requirements …. RIGHT … wasn’t sure if I could use a 20ft container full in the next few months
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 21, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:03 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
Hey Lockey!

Yup, the way you did your wing is how I want to craft mine -- I think it is a much cleaner look. I'm probably going to end up doing it in 4 total pieces (top, bottom, left, right). I think the fold over leading edge could get a bit complex since the leading edge has a bend and slight curve - so, I'll just do it sandwich style and do a layer of water based polycrilic and coffee filters along the leading edge. Hopefully I can begin the wing today!

I think you are going to love the flap addition on your Seawind!

I think an airfoil on the stab is a good idea. With my 40" version when I was testing my motor and thrust angle, I noticed that the tail of the plane kind of jumps around in the propwash. It didn't seem like a strength issue as the tail seemed pretty sturdy, but it appeared like more of a wind turbulence issue. I ended up thickening the vertical stab to hide the control cables and the jumping was greatly reduced. I left the horiz. stab as a single flat plate on the 40", but I think thickening it and giving it sone shape would have helped.... so that is what I am doing with the 52" one. My horizontal stab is double (2x6mm) and I have shaped it into a nice symetric airfoil shape (My thinking on the profile was that a flat bottom airfoil on the tail may lift the tail and push the nose down.). So my horizontal stab now has a nice round leading edge, max thickness of about 12mm, and then tapers down to about 5mm at the trailing edge.

I haven't tested it yet, but I THINK that the thicker tail surfaces with symetric airfoil profiles will reduce air turbulences in the tail section.

...about the foam -- 20ft container of foam!! in my dreams.... my wife would make me move into the container lol.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:30 PM
Medicinal Foam User
Joined Jan 2010
3,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
...about the foam -- 20ft container of foam!! in my dreams.... my wife would make me move into the container lol.
Thats Why you get the 40ft one
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:20 AM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,759 Posts
Lol!