HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:06 PM
Chile
Joined Jul 2010
407 Posts
great build log.. I learn a lot just in the first page... thanks to share your detailed photos
rajazo is offline Find More Posts by rajazo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV10 bronco
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:28 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,651 Posts
Great build sir. Can't wait for plans, all the electronics are on the bench and depron is ready to cut. I grew up in Abington and flew out in Valley Forge. Where are you flying?
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
Great build sir. Can't wait for plans, all the electronics are on the bench and depron is ready to cut. I grew up in Abington and flew out in Valley Forge. Where are you flying?
I live in Abington!!! I have several flying sites.... I choose based on how much time I have and the size/speed of the plane.... There's Roslyn Park, AHS lower field, AHS upper field, the "Everybody's Playground" park (off Dresher Rd). I've never had any problems or complaints - I usually try and give a good show when I get an audience!

Not sure if you know, but they Recently closed the Willow Grove Base - not sure what they are going to do with it, but I sure do miss the A-10's flying overhead, and most of all -- the Airshow.

I've never been to the Valley Forge Club, but I'm sure I will visit one day. Only clubs I have visited around here are the Northeast Philly Club, and Bud Lee (pretty far out- near Quakertown).

My models are generally small and light, but as I get the itch for bigger and faster, I will definitely need to get involved with the club scene!

Shouldn't be too much longer on the plans --- work keeps getting in the way!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:21 AM
Ottawa
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Previous Thread --- Icon-a5 amphibious parkflyer ( new picture and plan )

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211295
rheaun is offline Find More Posts by rheaun
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaun View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211295
I came across this thread in my search for an already existing scratchbuilt Icon... very nice looking model, but there seemed to be a lot of issues with the plan and the build.

The main issues I saw with the design in the above thread were that the prop is essentially sitting behind a wall (the rear of the fuse is thick and flat). I would imagine that this would create a lot of turbulence for the prop as well as kill thrust and motor efficiency. Another thing was that the designer seems to have made the flaps into ailerons. With such long, thin wings, I think the model would do better to have ailerons out as far as possible -- as in the full scale Icon A5.

...so, rather than get started on something that several have tried with little success, I just started from the very beginning and came up with my own way of putting it together... my initial design perameters were as follows (to suit my needs):

-single piece removable wing
-electronics (servos included) housed inside fuse
-flaps & ailerons
-seaworthy
-scale-like appearance (I generally do not enlarge wings, flying surfaces on my builds) - I used the 3-view from the full scale Icon A5 website.

To avoid what happened in the thread above is exactly why I do not release plans until my models have been built, tested, and flown - with video footage. I want builders to know what they are getting into as much as possible before they start cutting up foam!

...so just to avoid any confusion, the model in the above thread is a completely different model/design/build of the same full scale aircraft (ICON A5)
Last edited by SNice; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Nov 2009
13 Posts
Good job SNice!

Can you tell me what are the small rods used for flaps and ailerons....i want some.

How the work is goint for the water maneuvrability.... Is the plane able to stay up without a wing touching the water ( levelled)?

Thanks
Mikewheel is offline Find More Posts by Mikewheel
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:36 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewheel View Post
Good job SNice!

Can you tell me what are the small rods used for flaps and ailerons....i want some.

How the work is goint for the water maneuvrability.... Is the plane able to stay up without a wing touching the water ( levelled)?

Thanks
Thanks! The small rods are dubro micro pushrod systems. I will have to look them up for the exact specs. They work pretty well, but the way I have them installed, there is a lot of friction and resistance in the ailerons. I'd like to go back and redo them.... may even switch them to a a torque rod system similar to the flap linkages.

The flap linkages are made from bent music wire inside small nylon tubes - they are scraps from an old pushrod system. The linkages on the flap system are made with heat shrink tubing. The heat shrink seems to be holding up well -- no cracks (yet)...

As for the water handling -- I added additional foam to the bottom of the hull "wings" - about 10mm on each side. It made a big difference. The plane still will rock a bit in the water, and one wingtip will dip a bit, but it doesn't touch unless turning sharp (as the full scale plane does).

When the plane is moving in the water, it remains leveled - especially with the flaps down. The video below was with the thicker "wings" -- she did pretty well!

Icon A5 R/C Scratchbuild by SNice - Water Takeoff & Landing (3 min 34 sec)

...well, now I have no more excuses but to finish up the plans!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Nov 2009
13 Posts
Yeahhhhh so nice movie!!!

It's the nicest scratch build plane i saw in my life!!!!

I did not saw really carefully on the pictures, but is it possible to put the small water wings more at the botom of the plane ( again with the fact of be levelled at low speed)?

When you will have all the part list, and the plan, i will be one of the first to create it. If you can give the dubro part list before you release the plans, i would be really enjoyed!

Mine will. E maybee near 80% the size of yours. According the motors, batteries i have in stock!!!

Thanks for this so nice plane exactly what i want to do.
Mikewheel is offline Find More Posts by Mikewheel
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
While patiently waiting for the plans, a question came to mind - what software did you use to create the plans?
catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Thank you to all for your kind words and patience! I am happy to report that the V1 plans are ready for release. I have included the link to the plans in the first page as well as posted below:

Link to V1 Plans Here: SNice Icon A5 PLANS

catspider - I use google sketchup to do my design work as well as create my plans!

I hope to build a second one soon to properly test the plan! I've been having a lot of fun with mine, and cannot believe how maneuverable and "sporty" she is! I'll have a new video up soon of her doing some things that Icons are not supposed to be able to do!

Let me know if there are any issues with the plans & I will try and resolve ASAP! Looking forward to others' builds!
Last edited by SNice; Mar 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,651 Posts
Awesome Snice! I'll be cutting and gluing asap in hopes to have it ready for SEFF ! I'll post construction pics if that's ok with you. Rich.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
Awesome Snice! I'll be cutting and gluing asap in hopes to have it ready for SEFF ! I'll post construction pics if that's ok with you. Rich.
Yes!!! Please DO post your construction progress! Looking forward to it!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
S-Nice site you have there Snice very elegant
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
Great plans, time to start building
catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:50 PM