HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:50 PM
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Since that post I've been flying two WK V120D02S's, WL Toys V911, WK V400D02, Blade 130X and a ALZRC 480 FAST (Devo 802 rx). The only issue is the timing of the binding on the WK rx's. Need to wait until the last 2-3 seconds of the countdown before booting the rx. Otherwise the servos come up in an unknown (Off position) state. Then cycling rx pwr solves it. You can find all the quick links on my blog under the Flysky mod for Devo 10. Just skip the Flysky material.
i have never used or seen a devo in person before. how does the radio feel, and are the switches in the same position as a dx6i?

also, it is ONLY firmware, or does this require additional accessories to make it function?
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:59 PM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy511 View Post
i have never used or seen a devo in person before. how does the radio feel, and are the switches in the same position as a dx6i?

also, it is ONLY firmware, or does this require additional accessories to make it function?
Well that's great because I never used or seen a Spektrum in person So between us we make up one RC enthusiast.

Only firmware unless you are dealing with Flysky/Turnigy 9X or Hubsan-X4 protocol.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:01 PM
2 NECKS ARE BETTER THAN 1
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Aug 2012
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Agreed... If he can get the tx without the rx and save a few $ great - but to be honest, the price on those sites is killer good and the rx could be sold for $10-20+/- so personally I'd just take it. If you have it around and don't see yourself getting into a customizable plane or multicopter etc. there's bound to be someone else up here in wintery Canada who'd like to have it.
That's probably what will end up happening. If Miracle-Mart can get them in soon, they have the best price and I will just sell the receiver.

Anyone have any suggestions on batteries for the Devo 10? I can use 8 AA's, probably would opt for rechargeable NiMH's but anyone know a good lipo pack that would work well? It would have to be something I could charge with my iMax B6.

Wow....actually melting out today. Can spring really be on it's way?

Lard4Hire
Lard4Hire is offline Find More Posts by Lard4Hire
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:12 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
I love my Devo 10 with deviation firmware. I had to make 0 hardware modifications to get this to work on my Devo 10. It did take some time learning but that was actually quite fun. As far as flying with the tx goes, I do find the switches awkward to hit while flying my quads. Truth be told, I'm still quite new to this and my only other experience is with RTF and those cheap controllers don't quite count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Well that's great because I never used or seen a Spektrum in person So between us we make up one RC enthusiast.
Only firmware unless you are dealing with Flysky/Turnigy 9X or Hubsan-X4 protocol.
LOL... there's a how many does it take joke in there somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard4Hire View Post
That's probably what will end up happening. If Miracle-Mart can get them in soon, they have the best price and I will just sell the receiver. Anyone have any suggestions on batteries for the Devo 10? I can use 8 AA's, probably would opt for rechargeable NiMH's but anyone know a good lipo pack that would work well? It would have to be something I could charge with my iMax B6. Wow....actually melting out today. Can spring really be on it's way?
Lard4Hire
I don't really need the rx but if you're selling cheap let me know as I might have a friend on a tight budget who might pick it up. I've been using cheap alkalines and ocassionally small 900mah 11.1v lipos. I'm not sure what the recommended output is but the 900mah 11.1v lipo seemed to have no problem powering the Devo 10 for the duration of some setup and flying time.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:13 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions on batteries for the Devo 10? I can use 8 AA's, probably would opt for rechargeable NiMH's but anyone know a good lipo pack that would work well? It would have to be something I could charge with my iMax B6.
Just search on Devo lipo. You'll find them. You are looking at very low current draw so I just picked up whatever was convenient and had it added to another shipment.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:35 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:

Don't bother with LiPOs, get some Eneloops or like I did (Eneloops were not in stock) some GP Recyko 2100mah (cheaper than Eneloops). Weight difference isn't an issue. Or get any other NiMH but you want LSD (low self discharge).

I still have a 2500mah LiPO but I found I don't like it so much since I have to keep an eye on the voltage and not overdischarge it and it became a nuisance after a while.
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
thanks for the help guys. so if i am only flying blade and walkera heli/quad than it is just a firmware flash? how do you know for sure which walkera & blade products are supported?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:24 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the help guys. so if i am only flying blade and walkera heli/quad than it is just a firmware flash? how do you know for sure which walkera & blade products are supported?
Yes and all models.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
damn i hate RCG. everytime i come to the forums, i end up wanting to spend money that i dont have.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:20 PM
United States, MI, Tecumseh
Joined Feb 2013
43 Posts
I just received my Devo 10 and I am excited about taking my crashing to a whole new level. I have been reading through the manual and it lists various settings that are available, but it doesn't spend much time talking about why I would want to use those settings or what they do. Is there a more comprehensive book about the Devo 10 out there?

Eric
egero1 is offline Find More Posts by egero1
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:26 PM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egero1 View Post
I just received my Devo 10 and I am excited about taking my crashing to a whole new level. I have been reading through the manual and it lists various settings that are available, but it doesn't spend much time talking about why I would want to use those settings or what they do. Is there a more comprehensive book about the Devo 10 out there?

Eric
Not really. Only the knowledge about flying. I'm up for a while. Feel free to though a few out if you like. What heli will you be using with the 10? How much experience?
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:36 PM
United States, MI, Tecumseh
Joined Feb 2013
43 Posts
Thanks Lasakro,

I have a Master CP and not much experience. Just hovering at this point. The first is "Trim System". The manual says that default is 4/20, but I am not sure what this is for. Does it affect the sensitivity of the trims? Then under Pitch Curve, point-M there is a setting for Hovering. Should this be on or off, and what does it do?

Eric
egero1 is offline Find More Posts by egero1
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:06 AM
Controls Engineer
Joined Dec 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egero1 View Post
Thanks Lasakro,

I have a Master CP and not much experience. Just hovering at this point. The first is "Trim System". The manual says that default is 4/20, but I am not sure what this is for. Does it affect the sensitivity of the trims? Then under Pitch Curve, point-M there is a setting for Hovering. Should this be on or off, and what does it do?

Eric
The first thing I did when my tx arrived was to blow away the firmware and to install Deviation so I'm not an expert but did a little reading. Looks like you can reduce the trim range. Stick with the default. You don't need any trim with a FLB heli IMO. As for the Hovering Setting I would need to try it to figure out how it would be useful to my flying. Adjusting the Pitch trim moves the throttle curve the way I read it.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:00 AM
United States, SC, Pelion
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
As far as batteries for the Devo 10, I'm using regular old rechargeable AA's. I'm getting several hours of use out of a single charge. I use them for everything in my house (wireless mouse/keyboards, etc), so I keep a bunch of them charged all the time. It's really convenient I think. I don't know about you, but I like being able to fly whenever I want, for as long as I want, and they are cheap.

I'm still trying to figure out the programming on the Devo 10 also. I got a Genius and a Super CP, but neither of them were programmed into the transmitter. I finally got the Genius up in the air and flying nicely, but I still can't get the Super going. I think I may have channels assigned wrong or something. The heli stays at low throttle until I get the stick about 75% up and then it suddenly rockets upwards at full power, pirrouetting due to tail blowout. I can also hear the servos trying to do something even at zero throttle. I tried starting with a blank model memory slot and using a setup from a mini cp, which I'm told is the same setup, but no luck. I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad receiver or something.

The way it acts is kinda like the motor and the pitch servo circuits are reversed. I'm not sure how that would be possible though. I did get an upgraded version with brushless motor, so is it possible they crossed some wires?
G Man Number 7 is offline Find More Posts by G Man Number 7
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, SC, Pelion
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Grrr, this is a bit frustrating.

I got the Devo update software to work on my daughter's computer. It's also a windows 7 computer, but I guess there's something about mine that it doesn't like. Maybe it's my dual graphics cards, or the USB 3.0? Oh well, at least it worked on my daughter's computer, and I was able to update the library and firmware.

However, here's the really frustrating part. I was under the impression that I could download factory setup configurations for my helicopters from the walkera web site. All I see for the Devo 10 is firmware for the transmitter and recievers. So, I'm still stuck without a setup for my Super CP.

Furthermore, the update to the firmware seems to have placed a limit on my transmitter gain, so that it won't go to full gain any more.
G Man Number 7 is offline Find More Posts by G Man Number 7