HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Aug 2006
155 Posts
Discussion
Charging my first lipo battery with my new charger

I just bought a hz super cub now i am about to charge the battery on my venom charger I'm just wondering do i charge the battery through the balance charger hook up on battery or the actually power lead ? also does anyone know if i should charge my battery before i fly it or does it come charged already ?
insutama is offline Find More Posts by insutama
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,728 Posts
I haven't got a venom charger so i can't comment on your charger but i do have a charger that has a plug for the power lead and the balance lead,and that one i use both to make sure i get a good balanced charge.

I also have another charger that just uses the balance lead to charge the battery,but the charger you have should explain what you should do in the manual,try to do a google search if you don't have one it will help out loads.

You will need to charge your new battery as they come to use in storage (partly charged) mode so it will need charging mate,all of my hobbyking batteries i use are never charged to the max when i buy them so i have to charge them and i'd be a bit upset if i didn't have too.

Just think if we brought Lipo batteries fully charged,there life span wouldn't be up to much as we wouldn't know how long they have been sitting on the factory/shop shelf for would we.

I hope this has helped a little but like i said read your lipo charger manual if not look for a manual online because i bet you will be able to find it and it will be a lot safer if you read it through and your batteries will benefit from it too because you will be able to charge them at the right voltage and so on.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Aug 2006
155 Posts
great thanks for your help its seems i have to use both the balance and the power lead
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
488 Posts
I might have the same charger. You do have to plug in both power and balance leads.
Be sure to set the charge rate correctly for the battery you're using as well as the battery type.

Batteries are sold with the proper storage charge of approx 3.8 v per cell. They do need to be fully charged before use. Full charge is 4.2 per cell.
If you don't intend to use the battery the same day or the next perhaps, then use the charger to set it at a storage level. Don't leave a battery in a fully charged state and be careful to not over discharge it. It should be no less than about 3.4 volts per cell after use and preferably higher.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Aug 2006
155 Posts
Thanks alot that really helped alot
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insutama View Post
Thanks alot that really helped alot
do you need to discharge brand new batt before charging it and do you need to discharge lipo batt be fore every charge?
moxieman3864 is offline Find More Posts by moxieman3864
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:51 PM
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman3864 View Post
do you need to discharge brand new batt before charging it and do you need to discharge lipo batt be fore every charge?
No and no

The battery should be charged before you use it and using it will be the only discharge you will have to do. That said, you will want to store it in the “Storage” voltage, which is between 3.7 to 3.85 volts per cell. Since that is what it is likely to be after use it’s done.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:24 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,625 Posts
moxieman3864 and insutama

May I suggest you read this. It is a good place for basic information on the care and feeding of LiPo's.

https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1