HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kholder116, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Discussion
Tina Rowboat with Figures (very rare)

Here is my Tina Lifeboat... This was offered through Hobby-Lobby more than 30 years ago. It is a very rare kit and even more unusual to see a completed and working model. I had purchased the kit about 18 years ago through someone I knew who lived in Germany.. Eventually, I ended up also obtaining the male rowing figure as well.

This is a very unique kit both in its design, level of realism and well thought out worm-drive gear rowing mechanism. The other very unique aspect to this boat is that the boat is operated solely as a result of the movement of the oars and the drive system that is located underneath the both floorboard that allows for the movement of the oars in a rowing fashion and the ability to turn the boat by causing the turning oar to go deeper in the water giving it that additional "bite" so that it will turn in either direction.

Also, the steering of the boat via the oars is controlled via a simple two channel radio system.

Finally, I obtained the clothing for the male from a doll shop and I had the clothing for the lady, made. For scale purposes, both figures are approx. 17 inches in height. My intention was to design a turn of the century appearance re: dress attire. The gown she is wearing was hand sewn by a seamstress I met via the net who's expertise is in taking a picture or magazine image of an intricate piece of clothing and being able to duplicate it, in miniature.

It operates from a small Geared 400 motor. reversable ESC, in order to make the row boat go forwardor backwards, and a 3 cell 1320 Thunder power LIPO.
Kholder116 is offline Find More Posts by Kholder116
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kholder116; Mar 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:15 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,986 Posts
Ken, your Tina looks absolutely authentic! Do you have video of her?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Hey there Knot, how are you? No video of the Tina but will def have some up this spring as the weather gets nicer! P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
DOOMSman
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
The sepia shot is very period accurate, nice job on the boat and the photo.
DOOMSman is offline Find More Posts by DOOMSman
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Dec 2004
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOMSman View Post
The sepia shot is very period accurate, nice job on the boat and the photo.

thanks alot Doomsman...
RCG Plus Member