HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Help!
Newbie trying to decide which RC sailboat

I'm a newbie looking to buy my first RC sailboat. I want something that is out-of-the- box ready (or pretty close to ready) that has a height of about 1 meter (because that seems like a nice size) although I have no real preference. I've read the Vela thread and that model seems to have some problems which have made be uncomfortable. I would appreciate some recommendations. Thanks!
grubmans is offline Find More Posts by grubmans
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, KS, Leavenworth
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Not sure about your numbers. The Vela has a 2 meter height, but the AquaCraft Paradise has a height of 1.3 meters. I haven't read that much about the Paradise. You have to read into all complaints about a particular boat that those people are sailing in similar waters that you will or they were expecting more for their dollar.
HuskerBoy is offline Find More Posts by HuskerBoy
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:29 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubmans View Post
I'm a newbie looking to buy my first RC sailboat. I want something that is out-of-the- box ready (or pretty close to ready) that has a height of about 1 meter (because that seems like a nice size) although I have no real preference. I've read the Vela thread and that model seems to have some problems which have made be uncomfortable. I would appreciate some recommendations. Thanks!
It's always a good idea to indicate your location on your user profile, since it can affect what boats are available locally. Meanwhile have a look out for Nirvana, Victor V32 and Victoria, all very popular first boats and reasonably compact in size.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Feb 2008
125 Posts
If it was me I'd look for others in the area against which I could race, so would look for the same model if it's not out of the budget. This might not interest you now but in the future it would be nice to have that option.
adjangs is offline Find More Posts by adjangs
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts

Hi Guys!
Thanks VERY much for the replies. I've spent the evening researching the boats you mentioned. The V-32 and Nirvana seem the best choices. BTW, I'm in south Florida.
grubmans is offline Find More Posts by grubmans
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:40 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys!
Thanks VERY much for the replies. I've spent the evening researching the boats you mentioned. The V-32 and Nirvana seem the best choices. BTW, I'm in south Florida.
Since you have expressed interest in a Nirvana, it might of interest to visit the Nirvana thread on this forum. Perhaps the most active thread on the forum.

I have both boats you mention among others. The Nirvana ready to sail sells for $269.00 including shipping from sailrc.com
If you want a ready to sail V 32 Victor models sells them for $379.99 plus shipping cost. You can buy a kit for a lot less.

The Nirvana is with out to much debate is the best first boat out there. The V 32 is a terrific boat - perhaps more basic in design - but a very nice boat.

You can't loose with either one.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 03, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:23 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Hi, can you buy RC Lasers in your part of the world, strong, basic bumper car of the yacht world, 3 different sail sizes, quick and simple from packed away for transport, to ready to sail
VARSITY is offline Find More Posts by VARSITY
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:25 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,381 Posts
Domestic source for Lasers is sailrc.com There are pictures, video, specifications details and prices. The laser starts at about $489.00

Great choice if the price fits your budget.

http://www.sailrc.com/products/rc-laser/
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 03, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, KS, Leavenworth
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
grubmans,

Sorry about my misunderstanding your question. I see now you meant length of hull not height. Seems general consensus is for the Nirvana even though I went ahead and bought the $150 1M Phantom.
HuskerBoy is offline Find More Posts by HuskerBoy
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:13 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,381 Posts
Guys
There are many very nice RC yachts out there the a with in the reach of most would sailors. To name a few.
Nirvana see at sailrc.com
V 32 or other Victor models See at Victor Models
Kyosho Seawind Kyosho - http://www.activepowersports.com/kyo...boat-kyo40460/
Thunder Tiger Victoria. Voyager, China Team, ETNZ see at Tower Hobbies
Serenity (Proboat) Proboat or Horizon hobbies
Vela (Aquacraft) Tower Hobbies
Phantom, Monsoon and other Hobby King boats Hobbyking.com

As in most things there are differing opinions and favorites. Some need more tweaks than others - but once you finish you'll have a nice boat and a lot of fun.
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 03, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:42 PM
micro scale builder
USA, FL, Miami
Joined May 2008
321 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys!
I've got a Micro Magic in Miami if you want to race.....
tmtbiker is offline Find More Posts by tmtbiker
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:36 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,381 Posts
A Micro Magic is a great boat! Not a kit for a novice and is a little pricey. Built two, love them but takes some skills to put together.

Boomer
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:26 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,909 Posts
Boomer? Micro magics are carbon?
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:14 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
Boomer? Micro magics are carbon?
Looks like it doesn't it.............. It is a film over the ABS looks just like CF

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 13, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
Registered Model Boat Captain
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
224 Posts
Compare please

I am leaning toward the Nirvanna but the v32 is the boat raced local. Could someone describe a few key points between the two?

I am not sure I will end up with the local crowd and would not bother me to end up with one of each but are they similar enough to sail together in casual racing or is one much larger or faster or anything else?

Thanks Jim
rcjimd is offline Find More Posts by rcjimd