HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Feb 2012
86 Posts
Discussion
Storm 3.7V "700mAh 20C" batteries WARNING!

Hi,

I'd like to share a bad customer experience with helipal.com. Over time a bought 12 Storm 3.7V "700mAh 20C" batteries from them and they got worse every time. From the last batch not a single one was working at all.

To make matters worse helipal.com is quickly deleting bad reviews for this product on their website. I wrote a review twice. Worded totally objective describing my experience with those batteries over time. Both times it got deleted by helipal.com without any explanation! Now that is loosing them my business for good! Congratulations helipal!

I would advise everybody to be very careful ordering from them in the future! Do not trust their reviews. They are !

I decided to remove the yellow cover from 6 who don't work anymore anyway. The shocking result is that they are just putting their Storm 3.7V "700mAh 20C" label on random garbage batteries. I have all kinds of prints on the batteries 600mAh 15C, 600mAh 20C, 680mAh 20C or STORM 700MAH. Not a single on says 700 mAh 20C. And not a single one has a date on them. So they could have been on their shelf for years.

So my conclusion is: BEWARE! Don't buy this garbage.
raleigh_ralf is offline Find More Posts by raleigh_ralf
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Apr 2010
873 Posts
I have 3 storm 900mah packs. They are trash.

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,929 Posts
Call Credit card company and tell them of the fraud, they'll get your money back hopefully.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Feb 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Call Credit card company and tell them of the fraud, they'll get your money back hopefully.
Great idea! I opened up a PayPal dispute for a refund of $49.77. That would be for the batteries that don't work only, not including shipping. I think that's fair enough. I'll see if helipal agrees or if I have to escalate the dispute.

I'm not using my credit card directly anymore for overseas websites. Too much fraud going on and too much hassle to get a new card every time. Also the bank gets annoyed with it after some time: "No, I did not order stuff from Bed, Bath and Beyond for $1450 last week?!"
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:28 AM
Spain, CL, Valladolid
Joined Oct 2011
203 Posts
My few years ago dead Storm battery:

flyerinside is offline Find More Posts by flyerinside
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,929 Posts
Wow.. What a scam!! That's straight up fraud.. I'd be pissed.. Good luck getting your cash back.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
777 Posts
Wow, that's total garbage. Good thing you used paypal.

Speaking of batteries, is there any good reliable place to get quality lipos? I'm talking about the smaller sizes, i.e. 600mah 20C or 850mah 20C for the D02S and M120? I puffed a lipo in my M120 and I'm looking for good replacements.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
http://www.hobbypartz.com/batteries.html

Gens Ace and Sky are very good. They hold a good charge, don't get hot and last well.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Nov 2011
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
http://www.hobbypartz.com/batteries.html

Gens Ace and Sky are very good. They hold a good charge, don't get hot and last well.
Alas they don't seem to have any 1S LIPOs at 3.7V, or maybe I'm not seeing it. My 120 series walkera's won't handle what they sell, even if they're gnarly batteries I don't have the time or desire to go pulling apart cells out of larger batteries when replacements (even crappy ones) are $5.

I am a little concerned about the summer months coming up. Here in AZ we get 110F+ temps. If I managed to puff a lipo badly in 70F weather (it read 3.85V so I didn't LVC it hard) I don't want to know what that lipo would have done in 110F.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:23 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Try here for small batteries: http://www.gonitrohobbies.com/category_s/423.htm. I got Hyperions from them and they are quite nice. More power than the stock batteries.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
86 Posts
Update:
So far they are denying a refund. Surprise! They want me to sent the batteries back at my expense and sent me a "replacement". Means: I sent the garbage LiPos back and get more garbage LiPos sent to me in exchange. I escalated the dispute with PayPal. We'll see if that gets me anywhere or if I just have to wave my $50 goodbye and learn my lesson.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Apr 2010
873 Posts
deleted
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Apr 2010
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinside View Post
My few years ago dead Storm battery:

The older generation bright yellow shrink wrap increases the mah by 20%, The newer bright yellow shrink wrap now also increases the C rating by 10. I don't see what you are complaining about.

Chief
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
The older generation bright yellow shrink wrap increases the mah by 20%, The newer bright yellow shrink wrap now also increases the C rating by 10. I don't see what you are complaining about.

Chief
Haha

Their "official" explanation is quite good too. Found on their website as a reply to a negative review. I guess they forgot to delete that one:
Quote:
Actually, this is not true. I would simply say, those ink printed info on the batteries are not always 100% true. Because of some kind of "Manufacturer Agreement" between our battery provider and other RC helicopter manufacturer (very big one), those ink printed info "Has to be" written as 600mah 15C, or we and the battery maker will get into trouble. The manufacturing cost for this 700mah 20C is about 50% higher than normal 600mah 15C batteries. We used Japanese Technology in making this batch. It will used longer time and have much better durability. I used to sell those normal 600mah 15C batteries before, but I find that our batch of 700mah 20C batteries work much better, so I don't sell those old batteries no more. by Jacky Lee of helipal
That is freaking hilarious! some kind of "Manufacturer Agreement" Yeah, I know what the agreement is: "give us your garbage batteries, we shrinkwrap it with "Japanese Technology" and sell it to fools all over the world for a premium. Then we split the 50% profit!

OMG i could go on forever. Almost worth the wasted $$$
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
86 Posts
Inspired by helipal.com I just enhanced a battery myself! By using (insert random country here) technology I was able to achieve mind boggling results. But see for yourself.