HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
Discussion
PH problem and google earth tracks!

Hey,
I've been posting reports on the GPS PH problem that many of us are currently experiencing with the latest firmware(629). I thought I'd start a new thread to include some of the comparisons between the PH behavior before and after moving the GPS away from the boards and the rest of the electronics. Base on the plots below, I don't think this is an interference issue with the compass.

The coordinates labeled point is the starting point of the PH and is the point registered in the log files as the PH coordinates( HoldLat&HoldLng columns)
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:37 AM
um, yea, I can make that crash
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,691 Posts
What's the scale on those logs?
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
I forgot to run the ruler tool in google earth, but the outer diameter of the more even PH plot is about 15 meters. I obviously had to stop PH because the circles were growing bigger and faster and I didn't want a dramatic ending
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Where can I learn to do that?
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
It's very simple:
1)copy the log file(not the DECLINAT.dat file) from the mico-sd to your computer
2)Rename it to "something.csv". The ".csv" is the key here so you can open in MS excel.
3)create an auto-filter in excel on the header row that has the column labels
4)Filter all row so that "doHold" is "-1"
5)The values in the lng/lat columns are the coordinates of the copter during PH
6)copy the values in another spread sheet
7)Divide all the lng/lat values by 10000000. This will give you the decimal degrees value.
8)Save this spread sheet as a CSV(comma separated value) file
9)Goto http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth and load the csv file you generated
10)The web tool will generate a KML/KMZ file that you can open in google earth showing the plot of the copter's position in PH
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Thanks mate, will try it.
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,691 Posts
Wow, not user friendly to get at then, but good to know its there.

I hate Excel so will give this a miss, even if it's 'easy'. I'm sure HF will provide us log access through a client soon....
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
If you'd like just send post your log file and I can generate it for you. I'm also interested to see the nature of other's problems as I don't see an association between the compass issue and the circling issues from the logs either.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,691 Posts
Thanks for the offer, when I get a chance (weather and slight rebuild) I'll give PH a go, the log will be interesting to see.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
You won't see any correlation between the compass and the circles. Typically this is caused when the compass is telling the HoverflyGPS the wrong heading (> 10 degrees or so). With the calibration complete, your compass should show the magnetic heading with an error of <5 degrees. So, just having your compass with a static value reading the wrong heading will cause this kind of behavior.

It is almost certainly tied to your compass.

Thanks,
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconFlyer View Post
Hey,
I've been posting reports on the GPS PH problem that many of us are currently experiencing with the latest firmware(629). I thought I'd start a new thread to include some of the comparisons between the PH behavior before and after moving the GPS away from the boards and the rest of the electronics. Base on the plots below, I don't think this is an interference issue with the compass.

The coordinates labeled point is the starting point of the PH and is the point registered in the log files as the PH coordinates( HoldLat&HoldLng columns)
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B View Post
You won't see any correlation between the compass and the circles. Typically this is caused when the compass is telling the HoverflyGPS the wrong heading (> 10 degrees or so). With the calibration complete, your compass should show the magnetic heading with an error of <5 degrees. So, just having your compass with a static value reading the wrong heading will cause this kind of behavior.

It is almost certainly tied to your compass.

Thanks,
George
Good to know George, except that after calibration and using the setup client, there is no way to actually tell the error at this level of resolution...after each one of my compass calibration attemps I double check the heading on the display and looks like my magnetic compass...not sure through if the erro is <5 or around 10 or a bit more...maybe that's something that could be added to the next version of the client, an actual reading text field rather than just the picture?