SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:45 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
Question
Where do you get your trim designs and how do you test them?

I'm about to start trimming out my rework of a Great Planes P.T. 40. I'm using monokote with a Jet White base and Pearl Blue trim, yes I know blue and white are not good for an aircraft.

My question is how do you all come up with your trim schemes? How do you design it out before you begin? Or do you just jump in with no design and see what happens? If you do design do you sketch it on paper, in a paint program? Is there computer software in the RC community for that?

I've taken pictures of the model and am thinking of creating my scheme in photoshop, so I can save me a ton of hassle. I'd rather have the scheme planned out before I start cutting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:30 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
I use a cad style program that allows me to do fills.

I can come up with a design, and then augment colours, or the other way round.

It can save a lot of hassle if you know where you want to end, rather that just winging it.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
What would be the benefit of using a CAD style program over a photo editing software?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:28 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
Generally the aircraft i'm painting or covering is one of my own, so I already have an accurate 3 view

Also, if covering I can print full size templates for film.

This rarely happens as I hate film with a passion.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,424 Posts
I've only used CAD or some other program a couple of times to doodle out a colour scheme. Mostly I just "wing it" knowing the look I want. For cut out part patterns for more complex shapes I'll draw them up on paper (old days) or CAD and print them (current practice). But I seldom do an overall colour pattern drawing.

For inspiration I've got many years worth of model magazines and full size aircraft colour schemes that I've seen in magazines. I'll sometimes flip through some but only seldom. For the most part all the ideas are up there and stirring around.

If you're fairly new to the whole thing I can certainly see where doing an overall sketch in some sort of graphics program would help. But at first it likely would be easier to use the program to simply generate some simple 3 view sketch, run off a few copies and sketch freehand with a pencil on them to develop a feel before diving in with the program to do the detail sketching.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,899 Posts
I do my own designs, so, like Curare, I use the CAD program (TurboCAD) to create a copy of the basic outline of the model. I then export that as a .BMP and use Paint to color it. I also, sometimes, print out copies and do some freehand sketching, too.

One big advantage of the CAD software is that I can use it to make templates for the covering. I glue those to the covering with a glue stick, then, after cutting out the patterns, I soak them in warm water to dissolve the glue stick, uh, glue. Works great for aligning things, too.

For inspiration, I look at shots of full-scale aircraft, etc.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
The whole template creation is another thing as well. Do you use plastics for your templates, or some type of cardstock or just the straight paper?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Evnthough I design/build a quite a bit of my own designs, I tend to wing the trimming of them so to speak.... I can't seem to get the really nice schemes I've tried to duplicate, so I just go for simple strips, tapered strips, etc.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:16 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,424 Posts
Straight off the paper. I make a printout and tape it together if needed using the Tile print option I have with TurboCAD. I then lay as many layers of the covering material as needed under the paper and Xacto through the whole thing. If doing a right and left you need to make sure you flip one or more of the pieces over so they are good side down for one side and good side up for the other.

If I'm doing MAAC/AMA numbers for a competition model I'll generally lay a good half dozen layers under the paper cutting template. This works out particularly well with the coloured tissue I use for tissue and doping on my free flights.

All the layers are individually taped down around the edges in a few spots using regular adhesive or masking tape so they don't move. Same with the template. The template is obviously sacrificial with this method. But that's fine as I generally hope not to crash and repair so often that I need anything more permanent.....
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:49 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Evnthough I design/build a quite a bit of my own designs, I tend to wing the trimming of them so to speak.... I can't seem to get the really nice schemes I've tried to duplicate, so I just go for simple strips, tapered strips, etc.
I used to have a problem with cool schemes for a while until I started to understand how to do it.

A simple wing takes me aboutg 2 hours to cover, with colour schemes like this one, it took about 4 hours to do one panel. Careful consideration of seams (start at the back and work to the front) and patience will pay off.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:01 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
Curare

Great colour scheme for a guy who professes to hate film! I bet your vocational background helps a lot.

Colour schemes are a PITA to me- zero sense of creativity for that- which is why I usually lose interest when the building is done. It can sometimes take me weeks to work up the necessary motivation to break out the covering utensils. I print out full size templates for the curvy bits from the CAD design too, as mentioned in previous posts. My end results are rather less striking than Curare's though...

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:21 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,109 Posts
My favorites are cheap, easy, fun and little skill.
Hand draw, scan and print out multiple copies, or MS Paint and similar.

Break out the kids crayons.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,899 Posts
I'm curious; has anyone tried using their prototype color schemes on a simulator model? Some of them allow customizing, I understand, and that might help seeing how a color scheme would look in flight. For example, I remember a guy who did the bottom of his wing in small red & white squares. As soon as he left the ground, the wing turned pink...

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
Capt that is a very good idea. How customizable are the sims? I don't have one so I don't really know. I have flown numerous flight sims and know you can import your own plane skins into those, it doesn't seem like it would be a huge leap for this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:49 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Curare

Great colour scheme for a guy who professes to hate film! I bet your vocational background helps a lot.....
It may well have been such projects that led Curare to "see the light"....

I prefer paint and dope but I confess to "taking the easy way out" far too often and just go with iron ons. I try to do it with the same sort of attention to how the joints overlap as Curare hinted about.

It's easy to get all complex with any colour scheme. Often simple is better. Some sunburst or just a couple of stripes. Or on some thing classic looking a leading edge scalloped line. Unless you're going after the Toledo Show Best award even simple schemes will usually receive lots of "oooooo's" and "wow's" from the peanut gallery at the field.

Going to the trouble of doing the artwork in a flight sim seems like a lot of extra trouble and OCD fussing. The kid's crayons on a paper sketch or at most a simple MS Paint or other image program should be enough to get the idea.

Like mentioned above when I've had a shape which gave me greif I worked with the CAD drawing I had done for the plans and just did coloured fills to come up with something I could live with for a colour scheme. Most of the time I just have something in my mind's eye and do a paper template and cut out the film or tissue as per my post above.