SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:38 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Discussion
Which 1/10 Monster Truck? (Stampede 4x4 VXL)

I can't even really find a good monster truck in the 1/10 or 1/8 scale for electric drive...

I looked at this one here... but it seems like the parts are discontinued?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ody-rtr-HPI547

I like this Losi truck too, and I have a Mini-LST I really enjoy. But I'm not so sure about having to set up my own motor and stuff although I'm really experienced with that stuff on aircraft. It's easy, right?
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodId=LOSB0127

I also went into my hobby shop and they were recommending a Traxxas truck but they didn't have any in stock.
http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...607stampedevxl

So anyway, what I'm looking for is a truck I can race around on the track in the video, and I want to be able to run Lipos on it (I think). I am happy to pay more for durability. My Mini-LST annoyed the heck out of me because the servos kept breaking and I kept replacing the gears, not knowing I could just get better servos. Now I have good servos in there I can actually have fun with it! So I want something I can race around a lot and not have to keep replacing parts all the time...

This is our track!

Too windy to fly? Try one of these! (7 min 59 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Last edited by jasmine2501; Mar 03, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:52 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Hmm....maybe look at the Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL, or even a Slash 4x4 with Stampede wheels.

I am mentioning the Slash 4x4 as it actually has a longer wheelbase than the Stampede, and once fitted with monster tires and gerared down, it should handle much better.

Hot RC Topic: Slash 4x4 vs. Stampede 4x4 (11 min 2 sec)

Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:37 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,479 Posts
I run a Traxxas Stampede VXL 4 x 4 with 11.1v lipo, big heat sink and MIPs CV joints. It's extremely fast over all surfaces. But, for something that flat, I think a VXL Slash 4 x 4 would be better for the track. The Stampede is kind of tall and doesn't corner so good. The Rustler VXL with a lipo can be very competitive for fun racing, because it's light and doesn't have the friction loses of 4WD. My Rustler running 11.1v and some mods has clocked 73mph.

Traxxas models tend to be kind of heavy for organized class racing. But, they are durable and easy to fix and upgrade.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:07 AM
Nederland, ZH, Leiden
Joined May 2006
103 Posts
Summit?
gertjuh is offline Find More Posts by gertjuh
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:18 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertjuh View Post
Summit?
That might get tiring on a track layout trying to keep up with the other vehicles. It is an awesome truck, but not really suited to the location.

It's an almost 600$ truck, and still brushed. Requires running 2 batteries at once, but can barely break 25mph. You really need to run a Mamba Monster brushless setup or similar to get some good performance out of the truck, but that of course sets you back another 300$+

Notice that Traxxas does not even list a top speed for the truck on the website like every other vehicle it sells.

But you will have a blast with it if you have an extra grand laying around to set it up correctly
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:13 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I run a Traxxas Stampede VXL 4 x 4 with 11.1v lipo
Thanks! I am looking favorably in that direction right now. I'm just kinda new at this and I don't know what all the words mean and so on

We aren't doing anything formal, just noodling around, and we modify the track fairly often - it has a nice jump in the front straight now.

I just want a truck I don't have to mess with very much. I really didn't enjoy replacing the servo gears on the Mini-LST all the time, and when I took it out to drive, I had to be careful because I was worried about the servos, and that's not fun. Now that I have some unbreakable servos in there, I have a lot more fun with it.

I'm planning to drive this truck by FPV and normal style also. That's why I want a bigger truck, because the Mini-LST is so bouncy you can't drive it with video.

One thing I didn't like about the Stampede is the radio though - I plan to get a DX3 and don't want to pay for a radio I won't need. Can I sell the Traxxas radio or can I get the truck without the radio?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:42 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Thanks! I am looking favorably in that direction right now. I'm just kinda new at this and I don't know what all the words mean and so on

We aren't doing anything formal, just noodling around, and we modify the track fairly often - it has a nice jump in the front straight now.

I just want a truck I don't have to mess with very much. I really didn't enjoy replacing the servo gears on the Mini-LST all the time, and when I took it out to drive, I had to be careful because I was worried about the servos, and that's not fun. Now that I have some unbreakable servos in there, I have a lot more fun with it.

I'm planning to drive this truck by FPV and normal style also. That's why I want a bigger truck, because the Mini-LST is so bouncy you can't drive it with video.

One thing I didn't like about the Stampede is the radio though - I plan to get a DX3 and don't want to pay for a radio I won't need. Can I sell the Traxxas radio or can I get the truck without the radio?
The 2.4Ghz Traxxas radios are far nicer than initial appearance may seem. You can bid up to 20 different models to one Transmitter. EPA, EXP, Dual Rates it has all the basic functions you need, and only runs off of 4 AA batteries.

For what you are doing I see no need to upgrade.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:54 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
OK thanks, I will look at it carefully before I buy a new one then. Do you think I could use it with my Losi truck? Just get a new receiver for it?

My LHS has the Stampede VXL for $339 so I think I'll pick that up tonight. I can make it work I'm sure. Maybe it needs some upgrades but I'm ok with that.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:02 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
OK thanks, I will look at it carefully before I buy a new one then. Do you think I could use it with my Losi truck? Just get a new receiver for it?

My LHS has the Stampede VXL for $339 so I think I'll pick that up tonight. I can make it work I'm sure. Maybe it needs some upgrades but I'm ok with that.
Remember what you are looking at. 339$ is the 2WD version, not the 4WD one.

4x4 Stampede is about 70$ more or so......

Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:07 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Personally I still would not rule out the Slash 4x4. It has a longer wheelbase so is more stable, and you can bolt on stampede rims and tires, and you have a longer wheelbase monster truck.

JMO of course....

Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:09 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
OK thanks! I will call them back and make sure it's the 4WD, that's what I want. This LHS has prices lower than online, so it could be the right one. I was very clear about saying "Stampede VXL" but I forgot to say "4WD"
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:10 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Just one more thing....just look at all the things you can convert that 4x4 Stampede into, if you get bored with what you got.

http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/shape-shifter/
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:13 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
OK thanks! I will call them back and make sure it's the 4WD, that's what I want. This LHS has prices lower than online, so it could be the right one. I was very clear about saying "Stampede VXL" but I forgot to say "4WD"
Huge difference between the 2. So worth a little extra money up front......
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, NC, Huntersville
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
I have a Stampede 4x4 and love it. Upgrade the rear axles though. Other than that, it really does go anywhere I want it to. First thing I did was lower the body and I think it looks great now. With the stock gearing and a 2s, it does 30 MPH per my DroidX. I put in the optional gear and it did 40. That's not bad for a 2s.

I would like to someday run a 3s with stock gearing so I'd have the acceleration along with the top speed...best of both worlds.
Steve91t is offline Find More Posts by Steve91t
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:49 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91t View Post
I have a Stampede 4x4 and love it. Upgrade the rear axles though. Other than that, it really does go anywhere I want it to. First thing I did was lower the body and I think it looks great now. With the stock gearing and a 2s, it does 30 MPH per my DroidX. I put in the optional gear and it did 40. That's not bad for a 2s.

I would like to someday run a 3s with stock gearing so I'd have the acceleration along with the top speed...best of both worlds.
What did you use to upgrade the axles? I am running a 4x4 Slash, but about to go 11.1v LiPo from 7.4V so expect alot more stress. I also may get some Stampede tires to make a Long Wheelbase truck, for when the mood strikes me.

Such a versatile platform.