HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,532 Posts
AD, I've got cards for two extra people. If more than 2 extras show up we'll rematrix.

Russ, can you bring your long skinny thing so I can have looksie.

This is going to be fun!
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,945 Posts
Where on the sod farm are we setting up our field? I need to get there early. There are going to be some combat and other electric fliers out there as well.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,867 Posts
I am 98% sure we will be were we had our last winter flip off. The West fields will have regular flying on them.

How early will you be there? Polari trim flights??? We need video!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Russ, can you bring your long skinny thing so I can have looksie.

This is going to be fun!
Yes, I'll bring it,
Yes, it's going to be fun.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined May 2002
16,867 Posts
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KPVU&state=UT

Not sure it will be flyable tomorrow. Do we just hold it anyways and hope for the best?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
I am 98% sure we will be were we had our last winter flip off. The West fields will have regular flying on them.

How early will you be there? Polari trim flights??? We need video!
I plan to get there about 8:45 - 9:00 AM. Yep, spent all day today getting the Polaris flyable. She's ready to go, minus a few niceties I will add later (like a switch jack). Just did a couple of quick test glides in the back yard in the waning light, but haven't launched it yet. Perfect time to maiden a new plane, 45 minutes before a contest...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,532 Posts
Sounds like the Arizona Open to me . I'm planning to be there at the same time.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:02 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Have fun, and don't Finch it! Wish I could join y'all
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,532 Posts
Wasatch Spring Fling Results

The weather was warm and sunny. Very light wind. ZERO lift... Honestly it was like early morning flying all day long. Still we had a blast!

The results are attached! It was pretty close between Mike and me, but Mike pulled it out in the end after Russ put the hurt on me in the last round. Looks like Jon will earn a 1/2 point too!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined May 2002
16,867 Posts
Seriously, how can the entire area as far as we can fly ALL be sink. On the 3:20 task, when I actually found air worth circling in it kinda freaked me out as it was one of the few times there was lift.

Krazy air! Thanks everyone. And lets just say when Finch said I was in 6th at the end of the day I was not surprised. But after looking at the times, we all sucked pretty danged bad. Some day we are going to have a good air contest day....... some day.......

Thanks Finch for making this one a qualifier! I need to fly for fun and quit worrying how I am doing.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:27 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,945 Posts
I wouldn't say the air was THAT bad. We had some rounds with fairly good lift, they are just hard to remember. But 2 guys maxed the Round 1, Last 3 Flights task. Round 2, 5x2 was ok. Round 3, Last 2 flights was probably the worst air of the day. Total poo soup! Round 4, Ladder didn't require much lift and several maxed it. Round 5, Last Flight 5:00 was maxed or near maxed by almost everyone. Must have been decent air. Round 6, AULD was terrible air, as was Round 7, 1-2-3-4 (longest flight was 2:48). Round, 8 3x3:20 had a little air, enough to see a few 3:20's. But most struggled. So all in all, there were quite a few maxed flights. But some rounds were certainly brutal on everyone. I think it felt so difficult because the lift was never big, always small and very hard to core. Nobody ever got very high or had any easy rides. Really had to fight for everything. Good experience!

Thanks Jon for planning it, AD for running the sound track and scoring, and everyone else that helped. I had a great time. LOVE the new plane, but definitely missed the rudder a few times in certain situations. Sure nice to have a 9.5oz ship that can float in light air though.

Mike
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,151 Posts
What a day! Thanks Jon for planning and CD-ing! Thanks to AD for doing the sound and scoring, Mike for letting me hitch a ride, and everybody else for making it a fun event! Seriously, I think this is what motivates me most in this sport - coming to contests to hang out with you guys and have fun! Lessons learned today: 1) a well-trimmed plane makes a world of difference, 2) Forget how everybody else is doing and just do your best, and 3) WEAR TONS OF SUNSCREEN!!!! Seriously, I got fried today. On my way to Wally World to pick up some SPF-386,000,000 for the next contest.

I don't know how anybody found 5:00 air in round 5. The biggest bubble of love I found after round 4 added about 10 seconds to my score. Still, I feel very content with how I flew. For the most part, I think I flew the best that I could. Most importantly, though, I had a blast! Thanks guys!

Brandon
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:05 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,532 Posts
No I agree, the air wasn't all sink, but it also was mostly void of any real thermal activity. There might have been a handful of thermals in 2-3 hrs of flying through the middle of the day. The first few rounds in the morning had better air than midday. That was just about the oddest air I've been in.

Remind me to recommend someplace different when there's a high pressure system sitting over the valley and a west wind off the lake.

Now we need to get ready for the Utah Open next month!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:12 AM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,435 Posts
Today was great! I was shocked to get my 5:00 minute flight - the whole time I was sure I would be on the ground any time. Russ, you did a fantastic job. You are doing the new glider proud! It's also great to see the B2 doing so well

And, LeMon got some official points!
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,151 Posts
I almost didn't make it because of work. I'm really glad I did come because if I hadn't then LeMon wouldn't have gotten his 1/2 pt. You're welcome, Jon!
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6