HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:41 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,166 Posts
OK then, 1/2 point this weekend and 1/2 point in Seattle sometime this summer...unless my old (but not as old as me) flying buddy Dave Banks shows up and whips everyone with a TopSky like he did last weekend...1st out of 19
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:43 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,982 Posts
I dont understand why you would not want ALOT of pilots at the TS. There are lots of pros and cons of more or less, but I would think a more inclusive event would motivate the masses more than a deal where there are the 10 same guys who will always quilify. Seems if you want to grow a niche, you feed it. Nothing motivates this group like a gold sticker!
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined May 2002
16,982 Posts
Russ, let us know when you do the Seattle trip as I would be intrested and I believe that krazy AD would be as well. If they are 1/2 as good a group as you tell, it would be a great experience to fly with an entirely new group of people.

Thread drift.........
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,634 Posts
Russ, not that you can't get your other half point in Seattle, but our May contest is also a qualifier so you just need to repeat next month too .

There is still these full point contests to qualify: IHLGF (Poway, Ca), BSoNM (Moriarty, NM), BSoCO (Denver, Co) and Cal Challenge (Visalia, Ca). I'm hoping that everyone's planning for at least the BS contests!
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
Russ Young
Joined Mar 2006
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Russ, let us know when you do the Seattle trip as I would be intrested and I believe that krazy AD would be as well.

Thread drift.........
That would be a blast.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:47 AM
Russ Young
Joined Mar 2006
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Russ, not that you can't get your other half point in Seattle, but our May contest is also a qualifier so you just need to repeat next month too .

There is still these full point contests to qualify: IHLGF (Poway, Ca), BSoNM (Moriarty, NM), BSoCO (Denver, Co) and Cal Challenge (Visalia, Ca). I'm hoping that everyone's planning for at least the BS contests!
Yup, plenty of opportunities left this season
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:24 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
I dont understand why you would not want ALOT of pilots at the TS. There are lots of pros and cons of more or less, but I would think a more inclusive event would motivate the masses more than a deal where there are the 10 same guys who will always quilify. Seems if you want to grow a niche, you feed it. Nothing motivates this group like a gold sticker!
This very argument has been going on in the league thread for some time now. Some push for an open TS contest that anyone can attend. Others want to keep it so you must earn a spot. I think they are trying for a compromise somewhere in the middle with the 30% thing. Easier to qualify than it used to be, but still requires some level of achievement.

My 2 cents... I know it is highly unlikely that I will ever win a spot on the 3-man team. So just getting to the TS contest is my ultimate goal, my Super Bowl. I want it to be difficult so I feel like I achieved something and earned my right to compete in an elite event against the very best in the country. I think in the end it's really going to be the same 10 guys seriously competing for those top 3 spots anyway. So it really doesn't matter if it's 30 or 100 pilots that compete. The rest of us are just fillers, the practice dummies for the "A" team to beat up on to prep them for the worlds. More guys would be fun. But fewer guys would mean more rounds of competition. I don't know which is best, or what motivates the masses. But I do like earning my right to fly there. YMMV.

I still think the easiest way to qualify is to attend the BIG 2-day events where lots of guys earn points. It ain't gonna be easy to finish in the top 2 here on Saturday. But everybody please come try!

Sorry, more thread drift...
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined May 2002
16,982 Posts
Bad news is we could easily have 3 spots if we had just a few more guys.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:48 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Just ONE more pilot (7 total) and I think we could round the 2.1 up to a 3.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:41 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,634 Posts
Ok, the flight matrix is compiled, score cards printed and the F3KScore file sent to AD for input into his timing/event program. We're set! But could you a few more players ....
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:06 PM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Yes, I was told by Ryan, when helping him enter scores into the F3K League spreadsheet that the top 30% gets rounded UP to the next whole number. So a 6 man 1-day contest will award 1/2 point to the top 2 finishers. The whole idea of the new 30% rule was to qualify more pilots. Good question Finch raised about why we actually have less qualifiers this cycle than last. At least so far anyway. Maybe by the end of the cycle we will get more.
Mike, I was looking around for the official statement, but I couldn't find it... 30% of "what"? The number of pilots that post a score in the first round? Or something else?
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:42 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Here's how I understand it. Don't know if this has changed or not since this was written, but see explanation on the F3K TS League site HERE.

Quote:
A) 5.7.10 states that a competitor must fly at least 3 rounds to receive a score. We are interpreting this to mean that if a contestant does not put up at least a flight in at least 3 rounds then this pilot canít be counted in the total contestants equation that decides how many pilots receive qualification from that contest.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:05 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
I will be there and will ask Alex, Coop and Pat if they will come...
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Ok, the flight matrix is compiled, score cards printed and the F3KScore file sent to AD for input into his timing/event program. We're set! But could you a few more players ....
Finch, I will bring my printer so we can compile the matrix and print score cards at the last moment when all the stragglers are there if you like.
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Russ Young
Joined Mar 2006
1,166 Posts
I'll be bringing left-over Red-Rock water, soda and ice, well, not Red-Rock ice, but some new ice.