HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,696 Posts
Wow, we've got 5 people planning to attend .
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:06 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,029 Posts
Wow, really 5 of us! This things gonna be huge!!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:42 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,696 Posts
Task List:

Last 3 flights
5x2
Last 2 flights
Ladder
Last flight
AULD
3x3:20
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:56 PM
C-c-c-custom!
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
330 Posts
Well, not that I'm attending ( ) but are the task lists kinda intended to be random? Having been to two contests, I thought the AZ Open was the way it was supposed to be. Ladder first, then 5x2, etc as the day worked up. Red Rocks broke my balls (and both my airplanes as well - thanks Donny, Mike & Phil) with that last 5, 7 window at the crack of dawn. Or is that just the way the Utah boys do it?

Then again, I have found 5 minute air here at 8am ONLY AFTER seeing others do it at RR. So I still have lots to learn
closedloop is offline Find More Posts by closedloop
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:04 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closedloop View Post
Or is that just the way the Utah boys do it?
We're an odd bunch to be sure
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,696 Posts
Quote:
Well, not that I'm attending ( ) but are the task lists kinda intended to be random? Having been to two contests, I thought the AZ Open was the way it was supposed to be. Ladder first, then 5x2, etc as the day worked up. Red Rocks broke my balls (and both my airplanes as well - thanks Donny, Mike & Phil) with that last 5, 7 window at the crack of dawn. Or is that just the way the Utah boys do it?

Then again, I have found 5 minute air here at 8am ONLY AFTER seeing others do it at RR. So I still have lots to learn
At 10am there aught to be some 3 min air out there for the good (or lucky) pilots.

I HATE ladder first thing in the morning. If you're lucky enough to get the draw when the air is still in the morning butter stage it's a pretty easy 2 min flight. But if you get the draw in that transition time when the butter is just starting to get churned and the thermals are VERY weak and spread out you can easily get caught spending too much time in the weak sink and landing at 1:55 which rewards you with a 770 point drop. Just my opinion

But I do agree that 5x2 is a perfect (read: user friendly) first task of the morning.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,064 Posts
Quote:

Task order is always totally random, and at the discrepancy of the contest director.

It my opinion the order doesn't really matter. If a difficult task is the first one of the day then so be it. Everybody has to fly it, and will struggle. Those that struggle the best will win the task. You are only competing against those in your same flight group, and in the same air, so your skills will be tested against theirs no matter if it's early or later in the day. It might favor the better pilots who launch high and know how to read and fly the lighter lift conditions. But odds are those same guys would likely still beat you at the same task later in the day anyway, unless you max it. But I like the separation that difficulty creates. It's not as fun when everybody maxes a task. Much talk is going on about making them more difficult so maxes are rare. Same thing can be done by flying the harder ones early or late in the day.

I even wish contests would not announce the task order until at the pilots meeting a few minutes before competition begins... No need sweating over it. Prepare for battle, then go out there and fight. Just do your best and enjoy the experience.

Yep, we are slightly off here in Utah. But that's why we have so much fun!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined May 2002
17,029 Posts
Slightly off ehhhh.

Thats a real nice way to put it.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:19 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,696 Posts
I'm going to print out cards today. I'll add Adrian to the list just 'cause I'm sure he'll show up for the contest but he's yet to see this thread... how on earth can someone be so computer sauve as to develop an F3K droid app yet miss half the stuff that goes on here?

I will also add 2 other blanks with the same radio frequency so they won't mess up the matrix if no one extra shows up.

It's going to be an awesome day, better bring the sunscreen!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined May 2002
17,029 Posts
So with 6 people there will only be 1 spot for TS points ehh.....

Thats a bummer......

I know The Pimp had something come up with some of his workers down in Columbia and it sounded like it was a big deal, so he has to head South for the weekend...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,696 Posts
My understanding is that a 6 person single day contest will give the top two pilots a half point each. You need a full point to qualify. So the perfect result on Saturday would be Lemon and Russ finishing 1-2 or 2-1 Come on... you can do eit!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined May 2002
17,029 Posts
30% of 6 aint 2 though.

IS it stated somewhere what they allow for rounding
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,696 Posts
Straight from the official document in the yahoo groups files section:

Quote:
To qualify for the team selection, program participants must place in the top 30% of one two day qualification contest or the top 30% of two one day qualification contests. For example: a two day 6 person contest would qualify the top 2. A two day 60 person contest would qualify the top 18. Juniors are only required to enter the program and participate in a qualification contest to be qualified for the team selection
It seems logical to me that a 6 person, single day contest would give the top two pilots 1/2 point each.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined May 2002
17,029 Posts
Looks good to me. Looks like I will still be coming Saturday now!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:36 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,064 Posts
Yes, I was told by Ryan, when helping him enter scores into the F3K League spreadsheet that the top 30% gets rounded UP to the next whole number. So a 6 man 1-day contest will award 1/2 point to the top 2 finishers. The whole idea of the new 30% rule was to qualify more pilots. Good question Finch raised about why we actually have less qualifiers this cycle than last. At least so far anyway. Maybe by the end of the cycle we will get more.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly