SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:04 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,045 Posts
Discussion
My First 4- Chanel T-28 Micro Ended Up On a Tree! NOW WHAT?

So after getting good with my HZ Champ, I bought a T-28 Micro. First day I flew it, despite crashing it on the very first throw, I got really good at keeping it in the air and doing circles in the air at a large field.

The next morning, with the confidence from the previous day, I took it to a smaller park where I like to fly my Champ. As Murphy states in his Law, on the very first hand-launch, I lost control of the plane and it went all over the place and got stuck in a palm tree. It ain't coming down and I have no way of getting it down.

So now what? Do you think I should get another T-28 Micro or pony up for a full size T-28 or a F4F Wildcat?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:26 PM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Hey wait - I know this user name and avatar! And the palm tree reference ... Is this by any chance Left Coast DJ from SCAPE?

(sorry RCGroups folks, I doubt you'd know that forum).

For my money, I also have the HZ Champ and the UM T-28. I am finally getting proficient with the T-28. It took A LOT more initial setup, trimming, and practice to get it to fly straight and level, and to then learn how to fly it successfully, especially after the easy-does-it, anything-goes Champ. That thing is a breeze to fly compared to the T-28.

These two planes are my only experience in this hobby. If that happened to me, I'd probably go pick up another UM T-28, but that is because I primarily am a true park flier - I fly at little parks and ballfields whenever and wherever it is safe to do so.

I know there's a proper electric field at El Dorado Park in Long Beach, and I visited once recently. You can fly the full-size T-28 there, but I probably wouldn't fly any full size (let's say anything larger than an ultra micro park flier) in many of the parks that I normally fly at. I've seen others do it, but I wouldn't - and certainly not to learn.

How high up is it in the palm tree? Keep checking back there, it will come down eventually.
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,045 Posts
Yes, this is DJ from SCAPE (lulz!).

The large park I fly at is the field at the Rose Bowl - lots of big planes are flown there, including many EDFs. I've recently discovered a smaller bowl-shaped park in Alta Dena that has awesome visibility if I stood on one of the banks (bowl lips). That's where the T-28 Micro ended up in a palm tree. Though I can see it through the branches, it's wedged in there pretty well.

I told the park staff. But they said they don't have any means to get it down.

So my choices are to either spend another $100 on a micro or $179/$239 on the full size. But I have a boatload of 1S batteries.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:25 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Is climbing the tree not an option? How high in the tree is it? Could you not get a 1 ounce fishing weight and some kite string and try to knock it loose, or the very least get the stringer over a branch near enough to maybe lower the weight on the other side tie on a stick to try to dislodge it? Where there's a will (read plane in a tree) there's a way (read I've gotten them stuck in 100 ft tall pines and gotten em out).

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I'd seriously climb the tree to recover my plane, tie off a rope to your belt use it like a lumber jack climbing a tree (wrap it around the palm so you are less likely to fall), tie off a pole to your belt to give you extra reach up to the branches where it's stuck.

http://www.wikihow.com/Climb-a-Palm-Tree

I'm dead serious, I'd be up the tree like a ferret up a trouser leg.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:33 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,362 Posts
.I tried to go from the Champ to a full size T-28 it was tragic. I decided get a UMT-28 instead of ploughing more money into the T-28 and I haven't look back. I am about to order a Hawkfighter from Killerplanes to move up the larger and faster planes and to fly on windy days that rule out the UMT-28. The full size T-28 will rise from its ashes after I am confident with bigger planes.
IMO stick with the UMT-28 or move up to the new Carbon Cub, Hawk sky, bixler or hawkfighter
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Let's see ... I can't fly this little plane, so should I buy a bigger plane? The bigger one is, in some ways, easier to fly ...... BUT, if you can't control the small one ... think about it. Get good with a small twitchy plane THEN move up to a bigger, faster plane. The bigger, faster planes get GONE in a hurry.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,045 Posts
Ferret it in a trouser leg - this made me laugh. Lulz!

Climbing the tree is not an option. Besides, it rained on the firdt evening the plane was in the tree. So the brick could be shot with water and a live lipo.

I flew the UMT-28 pretty well the first day. I don't know what I did wrong to make it corkscrew directly into a palm tree on the 2nd day. I don't want to spend another $100 (my wife is beginning to get a bit pissed off with this new hobby and its associated costs) and then start jonesing for a full size T-28 a week later.

For those who own a UMT-28 (or any micro for that matter), how long did it keep your attention exclusively before your eye started wandering to other planes?
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:51 PM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,362 Posts
I have been flying my UMT-28 for 6 months and I am only now ready to move on to a bigger plane as this flying thing without crashing has only just dropped into place about three weeks ago.
If you move on to bigger plane too quickly you will only spend a fortune in repairs and piss your wife off even more (I know that feeling well). That said if I had found the hawkfighter 6 months ago I would have bought that instead of the UMT-28. Killerplanes' pitch is the Hawkfighter has 22 CF rods in it and will survive a 40mp/h impact into grass.

IMO it is better to fly within your skill for longer and drool over the other planes people fly than push your abilities and continually be repairing your new plane. I have a F22 EDF in its box I am now sure I can fly it but it would be lucky to last three flights because my skill level at moment is not equal to the plane. It has taken me a lot longer to learn the basics than I thought it would.

If you cannot analyse your accidents/ mistakes and work out why it happened and how to prevent it in the future you are not ready to move on. It has taken me a long time to work why I would always crash when I got in to a situation with one wing low and the nose down. I worked out that I as a bit slow levelling the wings but the real problem was I was afraid of stalling if I pulled the nose up too hard. Now that I have overcome that problem I need to reinforce the lesson then I will be ready to move on.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Hey there DJ!

I'd get another UM T-28, I think. And fly the hell out of the Champ! I put lights on mine and also fly it at night occasionally. So much fun, quiet and relaxing ...

I fly a DX6i - it is infinitely better than the stock RTF radio.

EDIT: Come on you guys, you can't SAFELY climb a 50' SoCal palm tree if you're not practiced at it - certainly not for less than $100 physical risk to yourself.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:49 PM
TAS Foamies was here!!!!!!!!
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
261 Posts
FK the micro ...get te big trojan ....when i started 4ch i bought the big trojan and thinking the micro would be small and easy to get used to .... it was not, the large one is the way to go just have a friend at your field help you
ThatGuy123 is offline Find More Posts by ThatGuy123
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:54 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
I use a football to knock my UM out of trees. Works great most times.
Lost my Champ in a tree pretty good. Came down after storm a couple Days later and worked fine.
I find that if a am standing near trees when flying I run into them because of line of sight for these small planes. So now I stand in middle of field and don't have the issue anymore.
I find the UM easier to deal with than larger planes. Also they are cheaper to fix.
The UM p51 is similar to t-28 in case you find it cheaper. Might actually be more responsive than t-28. After you master those try some aerobatic planes like su-26xp, sbach 342. Just make sure you have a good TX and use dual rates and expo.
Oh and buy used here on classifieds. You can 2 planes for almost the money you paid for that 1.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:53 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marke14 View Post
Hey there DJ!
EDIT: Come on you guys, you can't SAFELY climb a 50' SoCal palm tree if you're not practiced at it - certainly not for less than $100 physical risk to yourself.
I did mention tying on a rope for safety. No need for a $5000 hospital bill fetching a $100 plane like you said. I didn't know it had rained though, that would change things. Seriously I would have been up the tree. I once climbed to the canopy of a 75ft pine to retrieve a trainer 40.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Pine trees have branches. Just sayin'
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,045 Posts
I was at my local hobby shop after work today and got a chance to mess around with their display RealFlight sim for about 30 minutes and fly the F4F & T34. I think I'm going to put the $100 towards a full size T28. It'll probably end up mostly glue and tape like my Champ. But then, as I did with the Champ, I'll tranfer the electronics to a new fuse.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:09 AM
TAS Foamies was here!!!!!!!!
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
261 Posts
Get the parkzone one....don't get the BS nirto planes one
ThatGuy123 is offline Find More Posts by ThatGuy123