SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Discussion
How do I show MSL GPS altitude on OSD Pro?

I have the baro altimeter and the GPS. They both are "zeroing out the altitude" at start up. I want the GPS to show MSL altitude on the OSD pro. How can I fix this?
bleakandobscure is offline Find More Posts by bleakandobscure
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi, that is presently not supported. For a while it was something that could be changed as an option, but it was causing a lot of confusion with people, so we removed the option.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
Confusion is part of flying. LOL

*PLEASE* bring the MSL display option back! This enables us to us commonly available VFR charts for altitude reference in hilly areas. Not to mention the altitude display method on the telemetry displaying on the laptop in MSL. Having it be different on two devices adds confusion !!!
pathloss is offline Find More Posts by pathloss
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:07 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Sep 2006
50 Posts
I think this would be a nice option to have, defaulted to AGL. However, EagleTree already has a vast amount of options that can easily overwhelm a new EagleTree user. It would be wise for EagleTree to consider having two menu/option levels. Basic options for novices users, then an advanced menu level for technical users to get in and customize the system.

Documentation is key as it provides the means for new users to learn and better understand the advanced options. I'm well verse in computers and aviation, but when I was trying to figure out some of the RTH settings, I couldn't make the connection between the menu options and the characteristic I was wanting. Turn derivative gain anyone?

Back on topic... An option to switch between MSL and AGL would be nice. As well as the option to configure say, AGL (relative to launch site) on the ladder, then MSL as a text field.

In the meantime, it takes 1-2 extra seconds to convert area altitudes from MSL on charts to AGL based on the launch site's altitude.
MikeD096 is offline Find More Posts by MikeD096
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
I had posted a question earlier on how I could set my altimeter's readout on the OSD Pro to display MSL, not AGL but looks like this thread explains it. Eagle Tree took out the option.

Is there any chance, at all, that we can have this option back? It would be extremely helpful for those of us who regularly use topos, charts, and or plain just prefer MSL.

Thank you much.
sixcaver is offline Find More Posts by sixcaver
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi Sixcaver, we'll look into adding that option back. We need to find a way of making sure that folks understand the option, though, as it used to generate a lot of support requests before.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
I also hope you to bring "back" the MSL altitude diplay option !!!

I posted a topic titled "Help! GPS Altitude two values do not match" on 18/Sep.
I was more confused that altitude in the Live Mode is "MSL" but which in the OSD is "AGL".

I want to use (know) MSL altitude.
Various options are welcome for users various purposes.

"PLAESE " bring back MSL option!!
Mitsuru is offline Find More Posts by Mitsuru
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
hi Mitsuru,

This is definitely on our list of things to do!
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:24 PM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,247 Posts
or QNH settings?

I'm in to have MSL and AGL .. both possible to be used on the same screen.
schumixmd is online now Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Wow thanks!!

Newbie (like me) won't confuse if you make a new "FAQ" section in "Support" tab in your web site, then you might reduce time to support "repeated" requests.
Mitsuru is offline Find More Posts by Mitsuru
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
QNH - nice! Yes, I think I like the idea of having both MSL and AGL available. Need to think about whether this would cause additional confusion.

Mitsuru, we've talked about having a sitewide FAQ here a few times. It has its advantages, definitely, but some disadvantages. Re repeated requests, there's actually benefit there, as we can determine what people want to see most.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:41 AM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
it was causing a lot of confusion with people, so we removed the option.
was the confusion the meaning?

ABOVE GROUND LEVEL (AGL) - Altitude of aircraft in feet above the ground surface.

MSL (Mean Sea Level) Altitude expressed as feet above sea level, rather than above local terrain (AGL).

Then you can do the guy on the side of the mountain showing the AGL and MSL to the plane.

confusion:you can overcome the confusion whatever it is.

Yes,I would like to see both MSL and AGL. If not, leave AGL.
EugeneFlorida is offline Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
People would set the "do not zero reference GPS altitude" checkbox, and then ask us why the GPS altitude reading never zeroed. I am going to re-review the test we used to explain this (it's possible it wasn't verbose enough).
Site Sponsor