SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:13 PM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Discussion
HEXA SUPER HEAVY LIFT TESTING Video! - Maiden flight, 10lb payload test & GPS PH

Hello All,

I wanted to share with you a video from the testing of our newest ship.

From the testing so far this is going to be a perfect ship to carry the RED EPIC or the Sony Fs100. Ive been thinking about turning the DROIDWORX SKYJIB 6 into a Y6, but before i do that i might try to see if this ship is a contender for the Mr Lifter Contest

If you have any questions please ask!

Thank you
wac

EQUIPMENT USED,
AIR FRAME - DROIDWORX SKYJIB 6
Filght Control Board - HOVERFLY PRO w/GPS
Motors - AXI 4120/20
Props - XOAR 15x5 matched
ESC's - 60a
Batteries - 2x 6s 5000mah

HEXA SUPER HEAVY LIFT TESTING - SKYJIB 6, HOVERFLY PRO/GPS, AXI 4120/20, XOAR 15x5 (2 min 5 sec)
wac is offline Find More Posts by wac
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:27 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
looks very smooth even with those wooden props. wow. ready for the RED?
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:52 PM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
looks very smooth even with those wooden props. wow. ready for the RED?
Im ready! Are you ready to make me a camera mount to carry a RED??

wac
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:00 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I may tackle it later on. not for at least month or so. I am going from small to large. I need to get the DSLR gimbal finished and tested first. LMAO. I may be willing to tackle larger after that. what feature are you looking for? The new DSLR LG system I am working on should be able to pan and handle the weight. just not sure what to do about the gimbal side for something that big. I'll have to think about it.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:45 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
wac, you have to chuck that on the HFP forum video thread
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,191 Posts
wac
I am glad you are having success with HFP, but there is no way a would trust any gear with the HFP mine was nothing but nightmares for me. I still have the board but will not fly it anymore to unpredictable. Yours looks good and hope it stays that way because thats a monster of a machine for sure.

Michael64
Michael64 is online now Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:17 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I have found the heavier the copter the easier it is to get a smooth video, it is a rare positive side effect.
Thanks for posting, keep up the great work.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:24 PM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
wac
I am glad you are having success with HFP, but there is no way a would trust any gear with the HFP mine was nothing but nightmares for me. I still have the board but will not fly it anymore to unpredictable. Yours looks good and hope it stays that way because thats a monster of a machine for sure.

Michael64
Hi Michael,

Ive built a business on the back of HoverFly and probably have over a thousand flights between the HFP and HF Sport. Im not sure whats gong on with your situation but i might be driving through texas soon and would have no problem stoping by and getting it dialed in.

With the HFP there are things you need to do since it is an exposed board. I enclose my boards with a project box from Radio Shack.
Also the HF board does not like it when you to plug in all the esc power wires(only one 5v is esc power is needed)

But if you take care in the build then the flying will be better then any other system. Almost every fight control board on the market can provide smooth flight/video, but give it 10-15mph winds, flying downhill at 20-30mph and still fly smooth is what counts. From what i know HoverFly is the only one that can do that.
Aerial HD Video - Winter Park Resort "Rail Yard" by. Got Aerial llc. www.gotaerial.com (2 min 37 sec)
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:25 PM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I have found the heavier the copter the easier it is to get a smooth video, it is a rare positive side effect.
Thanks for posting, keep up the great work.
The above video was shot with a small HoverFly Sport quad flying a Contour camera. Its smoooooth

wac
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:27 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac View Post
Hi Michael,

Ive built a business on the back of HoverFly and probably have over a thousand flights between the HFP and HF Sport. Im not sure whats gong on with your situation but i might be driving through texas soon and would have no problem stoping by and getting it dialed in.

With the HFP there are things you need to do since it is an exposed board. I enclose my boards with a project box from Radio Shack.
Also the HF board does not like it when you to plug in all the esc power wires(only one 5v is esc power is needed)

But if you take care in the build then the flying will be better then any other system. Almost every fight control board on the market can provide smooth flight/video, but give it 10-15mph winds, flying downhill at 20-30mph and still fly smooth is what counts. From what i know HoverFly is the only one that can do that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Nw2f48ScU
LOL
Then you need to get out more, what ever you do don't try the WKM board if you still want to believe that.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
LOL
Then you need to get out more, what ever you do don't try the WKM board if you still want to believe that.
I have no doubt that the WKM could be smooth but every time i pop in to the wk forum, im always reading about some type of problem related to the flight /wind along with GPS shielding
If someone has an extra one then send it to me and ill test it out and let you know ..

Or show me a video thats pushing the WKM board more, while providing smooth video.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:46 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
I have no doubt that the WKM could be smooth but every time i pop in to the wk forum, im always reading about some type of problem related to the flight /wind along with GPS shielding
If someone has an extra one then send it to me and ill test it out and let you know ..

Or show me a video thats pushing the WKM board more, while providing smooth video.
Yea there are no complaints with the HF boards.
I sold all mine and have not looked back.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:47 PM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Quote:
LOL

POSTED TODAY IN THE DJI FORUM -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...86386&page=666
Hey Jago!

I had exactly the same windy conditions when I had twice a "runaway" resulting in a crash during my photo work above the ex-FHQu "Wehrwolf" in Ukraine.
Everything was working flawless and correctly until the Hexa went and drove off. The distance between Hexa and my tx (Graupner MX-16 ifs): about 200 meter.

The first "runaway" resulted in a auto-landing due to battery level 2 safety (luckily we spotted the Hexa far away in the middle of a snowy field). The second "runaway": same conditions - distance about 150 meter = terrible crash after being stuck in a tree.

Reviewing both incidents, I guess you're right! Maybe a software issue??? -----

Both DJI and HF and working issues out. I am just of the opinion that the HFP and Sport are very smooth
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:48 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
497 Posts
It's a nice hexa, no doubt. But I think those pants are the real star of the video.
FullmoonCat is offline Find More Posts by FullmoonCat
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Both DJI and HF and working issues out. I am just of the opinion that the HFP and Sport are very smooth
I agree, we are only having fun here.