HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:18 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Discussion
Sig 1/5 Cub: Clipped wing vs Std Wing

I've decided to build a Sig 1/5 Scale Cub. I ordered a kit. I can either build the Std 85" Wing or the Clipped 68" Wing.

I suspect most folks build the Std Wing as it is the Classic Cub. But I am wondering if the clipped wing might be more fun as it will be more aerobatic.

Has anyone built the clipped wing and if so, how do you like it? What did you use for power?

Any other thoughts. I am quite torn at the moment.

I might also fly it as (my first) float plane? Would this mean I should go with the std wing, or will the clipped wing be fine?

Also, what servos would you recommend. I prefer to use Futaba servos and wonder if S3004 would be fine for this plane, or if I should use something else?
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Last edited by u2builder; Mar 01, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:15 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,271 Posts
"I might also fly it as (my first) float plane? Would this mean I should go with the std wing, or will the clipped wing be fine?"

I would go with the standard wing, to compensate for the additional weight and drag of the floats. If all works out all right, you can always go back, and chop a few bays off the end of the wing, and rebuild the tips.

I built a Svenson 84" Stampe SV-4 Biplane once, and used standard Futaba 148's in it. Never had a problem.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:47 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Thanks Les,

Yes, I am coming around to the standard wing. I have decided, I think, to do Sig Koverall as the covering. It will be a lot easier to "paint it like a Cub" which would be perfect with the long wing. With the short wing I would want to trim it out a lot more, and I really don't want to do that with paint! I could always buy a second wing kit and make a short wing if I felt ambitious. But first things first.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,551 Posts
You're making a lot of good decisions man.I was just going to say if you really want aerobatics,Cubs ain't the planes,Even with the clipped wings.!

My tastes run to scale aircraft,and scale flying.Fly Cubs soft and gentle ,and turn Caps 'n Yaks every which way but loose!!,that's just me though.

Did you order the .72 yet? it'll be great on the water.

You should get the floats early on ,if you use them....there are some more landing gear mounts at the back of the cabin that go in easier now,than later.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Ha . Got a 72 and a nice set of floats from Ebay. Don't have the plane yet though, but its ordered. LOL! I probably do a little build thread here on Groups cause I can't find a good one. Some folks start em but don't seem to finish. Stay tuned, and advice is always appreciated.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,446 Posts
Copy the parts and make two wings- regular and clipped!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Yes, not a crazy idea at all. Just an extra project for when I am looking for something to do.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:56 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,271 Posts
"Yes, not a crazy idea at all. Just an extra project for when I am looking for something to do. "

At a minimum, trace the parts, before you glue anything together, then you will have a copy to reproduce.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,029 Posts
I am anxious to see how it goes.
Kyler1 is online now Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:07 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
I am anxious to see how it goes.

I am anxious to get the kit, but it hasn't come yet. So I keep re reading the instructions.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,029 Posts
That is exactally what I do when I am waiting for any new rc stuff. I almost have every maual memorized by the time the plane comes.
Kyler1 is online now Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:18 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Usually I don't get the opportunity as I have the kit first. And therefore I don't read the instructions well and get ahead of myself and make mistakes. This could be a blessing in disguise. I have read them several times and each time I find something new to "remember".
Old May 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
I post once every 7 years.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
36 Posts
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#11020993

U2builder- here's a link to my Sig 1/5 Cub build (really just highlights). I covered with Koverall and used Nelson Hobby Specialties paint, and have the Robart gear installed. If you ever have any questions during your build, don't hesutate to ask. I am putting the final details into the bird, and will maiden her soon.

Enjoy the build- it's a great kit!
flycfii is offline Find More Posts by flycfii
Last edited by flycfii; May 20, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:41 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
Thanks. Yes, indeed it is a great kit.

I actually finished mine a while ago. Also done with Koverall but with Stits Paint. I just did the maiden this weekend. It flew beautifully really. Last post is the maiden report.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1614416&page=3