SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, NC, Holly Springs
Joined Dec 2010
104 Posts
Discussion
Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 8J?

I'm getting my first plane which is on order (Eflite Apprentice) and am looking for a radio to use with it but also be able to grow with me into the future on more advanced models.

I'm currently looking at the Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 8J. Anyone have experience or opinions on these models? Would something else work better for me?

I do have a bunch of sim time and don't think I'll have too much of an issue flying the Apprentice with limited winds, but I need to decide on a radio system.

Thanks in advance.
swimman is offline Find More Posts by swimman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
yet another obscure Futaba offering - don't get me wrong this product will work well and be reliable - but there already is a T8FG

this brings Futaba Rx variety to all of what, 4?? FHSS, S-FHSS, Fasst and FASST-EST

what is the inter-operability on all this? this is baffling and unless the higher end radios can operate all Rx's then this could be quite costly too
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimman View Post
I'm getting my first plane which is on order (Eflite Apprentice) and am looking for a radio to use with it but also be able to grow with me into the future on more advanced models.
I'm currently looking at the Hitec Eclipse 7 or Futaba 8JJ. Anyone have experience or opinions on these models? Would something else work better for me? I do have a bunch of sim time and don't think I'll have too much of an issue flying the Apprentice with limited winds, but I need to decide on a radio system. Thanks in advance.
Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro is not intended to be in the same class as the Futaba 8FG which can be expanded to more than 8 channels for high end users. the better comparison with the 8FG is the Hitec Aurora 9. (just noted OP had 8J - not seen here will check details as Heli Forum "the 8J is just another entry level S-FHSS only system based on the 9C software, but it's able to use S-BUS. And no telemetry that I can see in the pics" and amend this post if necessary)

. Servocity - More Eclipse 7 Pro photos and details.
NB: The US$179.99 exludes transmitter battery pack.
(some buyers will prefer to use existing 2S Lipo rather than pay extra for NiMH etc)
Verify package contents of all adverts, as packages are not the same in all countries
and will better explain price differences between various retailers and online sellers.
Later: Futaba 8J has Acro & Heli programming only.
Eclipse 7 Pro features Acro, Glider & Heli programming.
Eclipse 7 Pro has a Sensor Data Output and System Upgrade Connector Port.
A 3 pin servo plug connector port is featured on back side of Eclipse 7 Pro .
Using the HPP-22 PC interface accessory this port serves to facilitate upgrading
the devices software and downloading information from Optima 7,9 receiver if
using optional onboard sensor station..
( No need to send an Eclipse 7 Pro back to distributor or buy a new TX,
just download and install firmware updates via HPP-22 when available online)

With top of TX backlit on screen telemetry, the Eclipse 7 is very well suited to the greater majority
of sports fliers and using Optima transceivers, offers battery voltage with no additional add ons.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Mar 01, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:50 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
he's not looking to compare the Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro to the Futaba T8FG - he's looking to compare it to the Futaba 8J, which is a different, more budget oriented new offering from Futaba

my advice would be to decide where you would see yourself going in the future, radio wise - should you want to upgrade at some point, the Rx's Futaba use with the 8J are not currently compatible with FASST transmitters (except for the $2000 18MZ) ...

Hitec Rx's will operate with their other Tx's such as the A9.

The Eclipse 7 Pro is an upgrade of a proven radio, benefitting from the proven A9 technology and has a very useful voltage telemetry built into the receiver - no extra units or hassle - and a good clear screen which is ideally situated at the top of the Tx to read it off - plus the HItec programming is very comprehensive . .. ok you can tell which way I'm leaning here
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,051 Posts
The Futaba T8J is a great looking radio with all the features of a 8ch pro radio.

S-FHSS receivers are affordable and I can not see any reason why you would need FASST.
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:41 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
all very true - i think its a great radio no doubt about it ... however, I'd still go the Eclipse route for the following reasons

Better more comprehensive software
voltage telemetry - built in - further telemetry options available
better screen position
more solid feel and construction

in Futaba's favour are slightly lower latency... that's about it
Negatives for Futaba:
no telemetry
the Futaba software is more limited
flimsy plastic-y feel to Futabas newer radios vs Hitec's heavier more durable feel
Last edited by big bird; Mar 05, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:44 AM
What you looking' at fool!
Australia, WA, Morley
Joined Mar 2011
118 Posts
No Sliders

And not on the 8J. Unless I missed it . . .
GlidingFool is offline Find More Posts by GlidingFool
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:29 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Big Bird,
The 18MZ is a $3000 radio, atleast here is the US.
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:31 AM
United States, NC, Holly Springs
Joined Dec 2010
104 Posts
I ended up going with the Aurora 9. Happy so far!
swimman is offline Find More Posts by swimman
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
Aurora 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimman View Post
I ended up going with the Aurora 9. Happy so far!
Good choice!

Derek
derek4610 is offline Find More Posts by derek4610
Old May 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
219 Posts
I couldn't resist and hit the purchase button for an Eclipse Pro @ 109,- eur... Also purchased a T8J recently but I'm not sure if I should keep it. There seem to be some odd programming things with Futaba for me which I didn't know before. For example there is no way I'm able to programm flaps with a 5 chan micro FHSS rx???

Is it possible to hack a FRSky module into the Eclipse Pro?
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne
Old May 18, 2012, 12:49 AM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek4610 View Post
Good choice!
I agree. I have the A9 and I'm quite satisfied. I find the new Eclipse 7 to be kind of odd. It has a very dated look, and there seems to be little consistency in the appearance or functionality of the various Hitec transmitters. The Eclipse 7 Pro does not have a travel limit feature, for example, so elevon mixing is not very flexible. At least the 8J has that. The Aurora can be had for as little as $310 with one 7 channel Optima and Hitec has a free Optima 7 offer right now with an A9 purchase. Not a bad deal.
prefabu is online now Find More Posts by prefabu
Old May 18, 2012, 05:31 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97 View Post
Big Bird,
The 18MZ is a $3000 radio, atleast here is the US.
right you are - i was thinking 14mz
Old May 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabu View Post
The Eclipse 7 Pro does not have a travel limit feature, for example, so elevon mixing is not very flexible.
Do you mean EPA (End Point Adjustment) ?

Refering to the manual this could be setup for all chanels...

http://hitecrcd.com/files/ECLIPSE%20...O%20MANUAL.pdf

Sure the 7P doesn't look like a 2012 tx but it's the features : price ratio that counts for me. I'm going to try it and see what it feels like...
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne
Old May 21, 2012, 10:56 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
Eclipse 7 pro does have EPA (servo travel limit) - absolutely no problem there - should be a really good radio