HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:44 AM
I see, I like, I scratch...
United States, CT, Montville
Joined Jan 2011
138 Posts
Discussion
Where, oh where, did that foamy plan go?

You know how it is. You take a break from working on a plane to browse the forums on RCG to see what's new. And there it is! You spot a plane and say "Oh, I am SOOOOO going to build that next!" Well, I saw THAT plane, but now I can't find it.

I searched back through the Scratchbuilt Foamies and EDF Scratchbuilt, but couldn't find it. It's sort of a cross between a Beech Starcraft and T3chDAD's Deltastorm. It had working canards like the Deltastorm, but the wing was more like the Starcraft. It may have been a pusher, but I plan to use a ducted fan (or maybe 2!).

Sheesh! Wish I had more info, but the brain doesn't seem to be working this morning.

Harry
hfsarber is online now Find More Posts by hfsarber
Last edited by hfsarber; Mar 01, 2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Need more coffee! It's Starship, not Starcraft.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:17 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I wonder if your looking for this one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386143
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
138 Posts
billwhit,

I saw that this morning while searching back. That's not it, but it looks nice. Isn't that the one that Kronikpilot put a bat wing on? After scanning back through a ton of posts everything turns into a blur, but I seem to recall a bat wing bipe pusher thingie.

The one I was thinking of had a longer fuse and canards shaped like on the Deltastorm - short and stubby versus long and thin.

I looked through the complete canard thread - got some ideas, but still didn't see the one I think I saw. I'll probably just draw it up on paper and see what I can come up with.

What caught my eye about the plane was that when watching it fly overhead in the video the silhoulette was just awesome! It kind of looked like a starship getting ready to come in for a landing. That's why the Beech Starship came to mind, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

Harry
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:54 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
The batwing one was called the "Dark Knight". I actually built one of those...it is similar but actually quite a bit different. One big difference is that it doesn't have canards.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378513

Anyway, hope you find what your looking for. If you make your own be sure to start a thread for everyone to see!

Bill
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,261 Posts
wrong ooooo so wrong
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:39 PM
Slopeosapien
Joined Jun 2006
769 Posts
Maybe this one?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465337
Or how bout this one?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435688
jonesymj is offline Find More Posts by jonesymj
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Jan 2011
138 Posts
Say now, I didn't see those two when I was searching back. The first one looks interesting. The second one is just a lil' cutie, isn't it?

I'm starting to think it was just my imagination. Maybe a senior moment.

I've started designing a plane from what I think I remember seeing while also adding some things from the other models I've seen. So far I'm thinking:

46" WS
32" Length
Take off and land from water, grass, snow, dirt, gravel, pavement, etc. (I love flying planes at the lake from my boat)
70-90mm EDF (which means this will probably end up in the EDF Scratchbuilt forum once I start building it)
Working canards
Wing similar to the Beech Starship

Thanks for looking.

Harry
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
138 Posts
Yep. Must have been a senior moment.

Just found the video I saw before. It was foamnpacktape's Beech Starship. Cloudy day, snow on ground, launched from ramp. Overhead flight was just what I remembered. Sheesh! Sucks getting old.

Soooooo, looks like I'm building a Beech Starship with some slight mods of my own so that it can take off from water and probably have twin 64mm EDF's instead of a single EDF like I mentioned above. Summer's coming and this would look really cool on the lake!

Harry