HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:15 AM
taildragger
Tennessee
Joined Aug 2009
10 Posts
Discussion
Guillows Stearman (PT-17) RC conversion

Anyone had success with building and flying an rc electric version from the Guillows kit. I tried one several years ago and it didn't fly well - too heavy and overpowered I think. I used a 400 size motor on two cells and had functional ailerons - so 3 micro servos. Would be interested in hearing equipment used if there are any success stories out there.
bdavisrcpilot is offline Find More Posts by bdavisrcpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:10 AM
R/C Addict for Life!!
Sterling/Rock Falls, Illinois, United States
Joined Oct 2001
557 Posts
Try Here,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861

D
Darryl Miller is offline Find More Posts by Darryl Miller
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,333 Posts
Hey now,
While I've never built the PT17. I've built several other kits from them as r/c conversions. The earliest were powered by small glow engines with standard sized servos. Those didn't fly well at all but we thought they were really cool.
More recently I've built others as leccies with micro gear and did much better.
You have to remember that often their balsa is very hard and heavy and the airframes are terribly over built. My best ones I played with very coarse sanding blocks and removed half or more of the wood. My most recent one used gear from an E-Flite ultra micro planezand that one flew surprisingly well and looked great. But boy howdy was it a lot of work.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
I'm doing one too.

I just got a Guillows Stearman kit on ebay, & hope to build it as an R/C conversion.

I want to use very small (&light) gear, a brushless motor, etc. I'll be starting it next month, April.

Wish me luck, as I wish you the same!

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie