SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Oct 2011
112 Posts
Discussion
Help help help

Ok so he I sit with my head down.
I picked up a hobby king parkjet kit thinking it would be gluing a couple pieces together and plug and mount electronics and that's about it. Well I got this kit a while ago and things are not as I expected. I have never done a kit before and am still pretty new to rc planes. I have a few questions about building and right now feel I know nothing abou it so go with that.
I don't know if I need more parts or what. This is what I have:

I understand what the parts are for but assembly
For the motor and esc the tips seem different then what I have seen soldering other things.
I expected the tips would have been installed already but this is what they look like on the motor as well.

These is the bag of connectors and shrink. I do not know what the gear looking pieces are otr the proper mounting of anything. The connectors have a hole in the side of the hollow center

I'm pretty sure I got the HTX 900 servos in tight and correctly. Tell me pkz

I have an issue with assembling the body. I got the epoxy in the kit that I didn't use. I tried the quick glue that didn't work.

So I bought 15 min and it didn't hold either.

Yet another issue is the canopy. The 2 pieces I got don't seem to match. Even trimming the glass doesn't seem right to be able to fit.
How is this done.

I'm really at a loss.
Need lots of help.
What's a good way to mount the stick mount?
Thanks ahead of time. Would like to get it in the air one day.
Stormchase is offline Find More Posts by Stormchase
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:51 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,937 Posts
Try searching RC Groups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565475

That Eflight CA and kicker is the stuff to use not epoxy which doesn't stick EPO very well.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Oct 2011
112 Posts
Good write up but still left with the same questions. Thanks for the tip on the glue. The person at the local hobby shop sold the 15 min to me. Neither glue worked for me tho. Any tips? Was clean and new when I used the e-flight glue.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:50 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchase View Post
Good write up but still left with the same questions. Thanks for the tip on the glue. The person at the local hobby shop sold the 15 min to me. Neither glue worked for me tho. Any tips? Was clean and new when I used the e-flight glue.
Did you clean the surfaces prior to gluing? There might be some residual mould release on them. It's also a good idea to lightly sand the the foam before gluing. Did you follow the kicker instruction? You need to spry that onto a rag and then apply it to one surface and the CA to the other.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:52 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
That model is molded in EPO correct?, Foam safe CA is only for EPS, it won't bond properly with EPO, EPP, Elapor, Aerocell, ZFoam , etc. Must use standard CA with these types of foam.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:05 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
I like the gorilla glue but it's messy. It sticks to EPO and you cut or sand excess off, as it expands as it dries, but it sticks and is lighter than epoxy. Don't get it on your fingers too. Worse than CA for that. It cures in an hour.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
The 3 plugs connect the ESC and motor. Male on the motor and female for the ESC. The shrink wrap is important as you don't want these to short against each other. The other end of the ESC gets the plug you have for the battery, Deans or XT60 or whatever, With particular attention to (+) red wire and (-) black not getting reversed or you will smoke the ESC, maybe radio too.

I think you are putting the canopy on backwards.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:16 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
That model is molded in EPO correct?, Foam safe CA is only for EPS, it won't bond properly with EPO, EPP, Elapor, Aerocell, ZFoam , etc. Must use standard CA with these types of foam.
Good point. I missed the 'foam compatible' bit on the label.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Oct 2011
112 Posts
Gary, I did wipe the edges with a clean rag and roughed the surface with my fingernail lightly. For bonding.
I did follow the kicker instructions but didn't say anything about a rag wipe.

Doubletap,
Yes it's EPO. I am trying the eflight glue one more time. Hope I'm not messing it up.

BEA, time to find my hot pen. Hope I have solder still. I got the deans ultra a few min ago.
This what your talking about?

It doesn't fit my batteries.
For the canopy that's just a pic for what I got. I know it is backwards in the pic but I tried both ways of coarse. The clear is much bigger then the outside of the foam.
hope the pic helps.
For the glue I guess I should look at gorilla glue? I also need a motor mount for this tiny engine. Local doesn't carry.
Last edited by Stormchase; Mar 01, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:16 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
You need to have plugs for the ESC that match what the battery has. The yellow one in the photo is an XT60. This is kind of standard now on HK batteries like turnigy and Zippy/Rhino for lower capacity. The blue one I have seen on a Super Tigre ESC. You could put the Deans on the ESC and the other mate to it on the battery. Then you need another one for the charger.

I have tried standardizing my ESC and battery plugs, but I have a set of XT60 batteries and ESC's and a set of Deans. I made Deans to XT60 adapters. I have Deans on my wattmeter, so I can see discharge rates for both setups.

I found the XT60 easier to solder. Be sure you plug the Deans together first and don't overheat them as the plastic can distort (melt). If you are soldering one to a battery, please be careful not to short the battery wires as you are soldering them to the plug!!!!
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
112 Posts
I don't want to change anything over if I don't have to. My local guy had me under the impression it was more universal. He only gave me males. I don't get him... U would think it would come in pairs.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:31 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
U would think it would come in pairs.
They do come in pairs. They also come in packs of all males and all females.

Think about it:

If you have one plane with a battery and then buy five extra batteries, do you really want to spend the money on six pairs of plugs or do you want to buy one pair and a bag of five females for the extra batteries.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
112 Posts
I would have thought the salesman would have sold me a pair knowing that I have never heard of Deans. Wouldn't ya think?
So I would think ht60 would be the right choice but... Really worth changing over?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Oct 2011
112 Posts
I can't seem to find a mount. Any suggestions?
I have been looking but to no luck. Could use help on this. No one else has answers.
Last edited by Stormchase; Mar 02, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:38 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
I can't seem to find a mount. Any suggestions?
I have been looking but to no luck. Could use help on this. No one else has answers.
This might work:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Plastic/Detail

Measure the distance between the motor mounting holes. Two of the holes should be farther apart then the other two. MIGHT BE something like 16 mm between the two closest and 19 mm between the two furthest. THIS IS MEASURED ACROSS THE CENTER OF THE MOTOR.

Post your numbers and we will see what we can do. Where have you been looking? And what have you been looking for?

Also, in one of your pics, I see a blue plug and a yellow plug. They look like XT 60's, but I cant be sure. What are they hooked up to?
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Last edited by Pete Miller; Mar 02, 2012 at 10:56 PM.