HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:37 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
Discussion
What is the difference between FASST and FASSTest

I just got the Futaba catalog and noticed they have 3 types of 2.4 stuff, FHSS, FASST and now FASSTest.

What is the difference between FASST and FASSTest?

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:41 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,225 Posts
FASST it's the thing of the past, I don't expect to see around next year.
FASSTest is the telemetry extension of Futaba for its radios.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:22 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
yeah the wierd thing is that they are not all inter-operable either - tho i think some high end Futaba radios can operate all 3 RX types, the same is not true of the lower end Tx's - what a shambles
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:10 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,289 Posts
It may seem like a shambles, but that's because all the pieces aren't in place. On the other hand, unlike Spek, Futaba hasn't abandoned a protocol, like Spek did when going to DSMX at the expense of DSM support.
With the entry level level radios (T6j and T8J) going to the more cost effective FHSS system, I would expect the 7CH mode FASST transmitters (6EX and 7C) to be discontinued, but the radios from the 8FG up will support this format for a long time to come, also, some of the new S.Bus receivers can be set to work with either a 7Ch or Multi Mode (8+CH), so the 7C owners can use the S.Bus for their heli setups, since that's where the action is with 3 axis gyros/governors these days.
I doubt that someone who buys the new entry level radios gives hoot whether they can use the more expensive FASST receivers with their new radio, on the other hand, it is important that their investment in FHSS receivers be useable if they move up to a more upscale radio model later on. Futaba started with FHSS support on the new 18MZ, but has implied that it will be phased in on other models in the future.
Hey, at least Futaba hasn't abandoned a format as yet. Spektrum can't make that claim, since the introduction of DSMX came at the expense of support of the original DSM receivers, an unpleasant surprise for some buyers of the new DSMX radios
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:49 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,225 Posts
What you mean by lack of support of DSM receivers ?
No more warranty ? No more post warranty service ?
No more selling DSM receivers ?

Sooner or later they must cease using DSM2 anyway, when the new EN300328 will issue this summer. This was the real reason of DSMX, not other.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:07 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
FASST it's the thing of the past, I don't expect to see around next year.
why do you repeat that story again ? can you prove it with official info from Futaba ?
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:12 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
What you mean by lack of support of DSM receivers ?.
DSMX transmitter cannot use DSM receiver.

They can of course use DSM2, but not the original DSM.

I don't think Spektrum sell any new tx that will let you use a DSM receiver now.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:14 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,289 Posts
You cannot buy a new DSM (1) receiver to use with an original DX6, and the DX6i (and up) with DSMX cannot operate the old DSM (AR6000) receivers. I would call that an orphaned, or abandoned format.
i certainly don't know whats coming with the DSM2 situation in the Euro zone, but from my perspective Futaba is looking to be the better choice
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:10 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
Does the 8FG (Super) support FASSTest now?

What I mean is can it support it in a one way senario?

So both FASST and FASSTest use the same methods for uploading data to the receiver. Is that true?

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
It may seem like a shambles, but that's because all the pieces aren't in place. On the other hand, unlike Spek, Futaba hasn't abandoned a protocol, like Spek did when going to DSMX at the expense of DSM support.
Those outcries of people wanting to control their AR6000's with their DX8's was defeaning.

Quote:
why do you repeat that story again ? can you prove it with official info from Futaba ?
Why would Futaba announce a line is being discontinued when they still have transmitters and receivers to sell ?
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:30 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,314 Posts
Futaba FHSS hops channels at a slower rate then the FASST which hops channels hundreds of times a sec and FASSTest radio can use both FHSS and FASST receivers and also offer telemetry
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:35 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,314 Posts
Futaba just has two lines of Radios. One who dont need all the bells and whistles and what something simple but still gets the deal done and thats why they came out with the FHSS line.. Its just with the FHSS Transmitters you can only use the FHSS receivers. If you have a FASST Transmitter you can only use the FASST receivers. If you have the new FASSTest Transmitter then you can use both the FHSS and FASST receivers.
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:37 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
Do you really think Futaba will ever recognize officially they will dump FASST ?!
Do they ever recognized the temperature issue ? The zero UID was too obvious to play innocent...
One month before DSMX you can find here official Spektrum involved guys swearing Spektrum will never go FH. You can find also my posts pointing exactly 2011 as the switch moment.
So let me with my stupid predictions...
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:54 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,536 Posts
Let's assume Futaba obsoletes FASST this year (2012). What would be left on the shelves? 18MZ, 6J, 8J and 4YF. These are the current transmitters which support either FHSS or FASSTest (or both in the case of 18MZ). Currently there are no FASSTest capable replacements for the FASST only capable 6EX, 7C, 8FG, 10CG, 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ. So based on the above assumption Futaba will lose the mainstream of their customers - mid- to hi-range (with the exception of those who can afford the 18MZ).

So how likely is this to happen in 2012 or even in 2013?
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member